Proposal: Pens-Habs-Oilers 3-way deal

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nurse has fantastic athleticism but lacks the ability to process the game at a high enough level to ever maximize his potential.
It’s a shame really as he could be a #1 if he could.

I used to like his game until i watched the playins. All the negatives about Nurse were on full display. He's an enigma.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If you trade Nurse, are you looking to add to him to get a better d-man? What is the add and who do you target? Just curious.
It's tough cause I don't know if you'll find any teams willing to downgrade on defense for Nurse + A pick or prospects. Ideally if one of Nurse or Klef gets traded, it is in a package for someone who is better, but I don't know if that trade is even out there.

Which is why I don't think trading either of them for a forward makes any sense. If someone was willing to take Nurse + 1st or 2nd or Prospect, I'd probably do it, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any names that would reasonably be available for something like that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Penguins get Domi
Oilers get Rust
Habs get Nurse

Fairly straight up swap. Oilers get a speedy RW to play with McDavid who has had success with elite players, Penguins make a change of scenery swap with top-6 forwards that also fits how JR operates (aka he loves acquiring retreads and players he has liked for a long time) and the Habs get a younger top-4 LD. The years of control for all of these guys are the same, Nurse and Rust both have 2 years left on their current deals followed by being UFAs, and Domi is a RFA while being a UFA in 2 years.

Edit: Updated proposal:

Oilers get McCann and Rust
Penguins get Domi and Lehkonen
Habs get Nurse and Haas/Archibald/Khaira
Pass from this Habs fan. Never liked Nurse hockey sense.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Rust would legitimately be the Oilers 2nd best winger after whichever of RNH or Draisaitl is playing on the wing.

Rust is at worst a 2nd liner winger. Even if you completely ignore this year, he's been at a 42 point pace per 82 games (pretty much 90% of which is at ES) in the last 3 years while being excellent defensively.

if he's that good why would you try and flip Rust and bring Domi in.

Rust is MEhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Rust would be the perfect RW for McDavid.

Provides defensive coverage, shown to produce with both Crosby and Malkin, extremely
fast and is cost controlled.
Doesn't really negate the fact that the Oilers currently have too many RWs. Nor does it make a lot of sense considering the Oilers just gave Kassian a four year extension after doing just fine on 97's wing.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Really hard to move the 2018-19 version of Domi who produced 28 goals, 72 points, played top minutes as a Center and brought some energy and feistiness to the team. But with the emergence of KK & Suzuki and a real need for a top LD this trade option sure looks attractive. All depends on how our scouts view Nurse. I don't really know his game that well, his numbers looks like he can produce 35-40 points. Love his size at 6'4, 221 pounds. What's his skating like? Is he solid at transitioning the puck out of our own end? Does he solidify our Powerplay that has looked really weak lately?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
From reading Oilers fans wanting more in this proposal, let's expand it. Does this deal catch your interest any more:

Change of scenery swap and JR has loved Domi for years. JR is pissed that the team has looked ultra stale in recent years in the playoffs, so he looks primed to trade a significant roster piece (such as Rust, Dumoulin or Hornqvist) to try to shake the team up.

I really like Rust, I think he would be the perfect fit for McDavid... adding McCann made this deal somewhat more fair... especially considering Nurse is 2 years to UFA.

That being said... everyone believes Nurse wants to stay in Edmontona nd there is a handshake agreement for an extension - so to the Oilers he is far more valuable than it shows on paper and we can not Afford to weaken the defence position.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well after the playoffs I have read he has to go. Nurse plays a style we do not have. Why wouldn’t they?

Because Pettersson isn’t nearly as good as Nurse and you can get guys like McCann for for much less? why are we downgrading just to pick up a third liner and dump Puljujarvi for nothing?

There’s literally zero upside for Edmonton in that deal and I wouldn’t do OP either. A random career year at 28 after three years of being a decent middle sixer screams pump and dump. No thank you. Let someone else take that risk.

As usual with OP’s deals, the Pens sell high on assets that might be nothing more than a flash in the pan and make out like gangbusters. Edmonton’s not so desperate to move a young top four defenceman that they’ll take that kind of risk for the likes of Rust and McCann.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Easiest no from the Oilers. Not buying high on a small winger at the price of the Oiler's 2nd best defenseman.

Honestly. I legitimately can’t fathom why anyone thinks Edmonton should even fleetingly consider doing this. It absolutely screams “selling high” from Pittsburgh. Edmonton and Montreal sell low. If they were going to do this they should just cut Pittsburgh out entirely and deal with each other.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Marchand has the same career path. Once again, Rust was used largely in a bottom six regular season role until recently.

And I’m sure a sudden spike in his shooting percentage to 18% when his previous years were 12, 10, and 13% has absolutely nothing to do with his success?

This is a pump and dump, plain and simple. I like Rust as a player but not a chance does he return Nurse on his own.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And I’m sure a sudden spike in his shooting percentage to 18% when his previous years were 12, 10, and 13% has absolutely nothing to do with his success?

This is a pump and dump, plain and simple. I like Rust as a player but not a chance does he return Nurse on his own.

Same shooting percentage he had in playoffs the four years he was playing as a top six forward.

Bryan Rust has always been excellent in a top six role. The Penguins have just had the luxury of Phil Kessel, Patric Hornqvist or Conor Sheary to play above him.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think Rust has been given an opportunity and has proven he can hang with the big guys. He has had the opportunity to play with Crosby and Malkin... not a luxury many teams have.

Pittsburgh has leveraged Crosby and Malkin very well... making bubble wingers look like average wingers, average wingers look like good wingers, and good wingers look like great wingers, great wingers look like star wingers.... and then flipping them to capitalize on their higher (inflated) values. That is no knock on the Pens - that is smart business. Unfortunately for us Oiler fans, our organization awards those average wingers lucrative contracts then demote them to the 3rd and 4th lines to play with centers like Jujhar Khaira and Gaëtan Haas.

I think Rust is a good winger who had a career year. I would value him as a 2nd line winger today but if he can repeat (or very close to) the season he this past season, upgrade that value to a true first line winger. He plays the game with intention, competes and is defensively responsible... all while posting good offensive numbers... Stone-light.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Are you serious?!?!?! with domi attitude if habs can grab nurse, it will be a steal.

Oilers is the big loser on that trade, trading one of their 2 best dman for a depht foward who just had the season of his life. It's terrible
What attitude is that? Come now.

I would not totally dismiss the idea of a Domi for Nurse trade but it is not a slamdunk idea either.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Same shooting percentage he had in playoffs the four years he was playing as a top six forward.

Bryan Rust has always been excellent in a top six role. The Penguins have just had the luxury of Phil Kessel, Patric Hornqvist or Conor Sheary to play above him.

Pay no attention to the large sample size, it’s only the small sample size that matters.

then... why wouldn’t we just pick up Sheary as a free agent instead? For free? Without getting fleeced in a trade?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pay no attention to the large sample size, it’s only the small sample size that matters.

then... why wouldn’t we just pick up Sheary as a free agent instead? For free? Without getting fleeced in a trade?

Because Sheary sucks.

Unless you enjoy watching someone fall over every other shift when a stiff breeze hits him. Or enjoy watching someone handle the puck as though it's a rubber ball.

(If you can't tell, I just don't like Sheary)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Penguins get Domi
Oilers get Rust
Habs get Nurse

Fairly straight up swap. Oilers get a speedy RW to play with McDavid who has had success with elite players, Penguins make a change of scenery swap with top-6 forwards that also fits how JR operates (aka he loves acquiring retreads and players he has liked for a long time) and the Habs get a younger top-4 LD. The years of control for all of these guys are the same, Nurse and Rust both have 2 years left on their current deals followed by being UFAs, and Domi is a RFA while being a UFA in 2 years.

Edit: Updated proposal:

The Oilers get shafted . Oilers need to improve their D so the answer isn’t to trade one of their younger ones unless it is for an upgrade .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad