Proposal: Pens-Habs-Oilers 3-way deal

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Have to say this is a pretty smart offer. It depends a lot if you think last year was the real Rust or the career year never to be seen again Rust, but I wouldn't accept less for him.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Max would be our 3c but if the Habs don’t want to move him. Cut them out and do Nurse PuJ and pick for Mccan and Peterson

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are you serious?!?!?! with domi attitude if habs can grab nurse, it will be a steal.

Oilers is the big loser on that trade, trading one of their 2 best dman for a depht foward who just had the season of his life. It's terrible

You may wanna go back and look at the important role Rust played on both Cup teams. Seems like a "depth forward" the Oilers could certainly use in the playoffs if you ask me...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers have too many RWs as is. Trading for Rust would make no sense, especially at the cost of a defenseman who they desperately need.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We already have a shitty D core until some of our prospects take positions from the likes of Russell, Larsson, Benning, etc.

Trading Nurse who is one of our few legitimate top 4 defenders, despite a pedestrian and frankly weak playoffs him and Bear, they were quite solid together for basically the entire year. It’s a pair that should stay together through the growing pains. They’re a good to decent second pairing now with a lot of upside still for both. D men are a long and slow simmer before they reach their potential generally speaking.

We already have one of the weaker D cores in the NHL, remove Nurse and we might have the worst D core in the entire NHL.

Thankfully we have one of the prospect pools for D men even with Bear and Jones graduating. But, in terms of NHL D men who are ready right now I shudder to think what it would look like without Nurse.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Oilers have too many RWs as is. Trading for Rust would make no sense, especially at the cost of a defenseman who they desperately need.
Just that he is far better than almost all the oilers wingers. Lol ya no need

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Penguins get Domi
Oilers get Rust
Habs get Nurse

Fairly straight up swap. Oilers get a speedy RW to play with McDavid who has had success with elite players, Penguins make a change of scenery swap with top-6 forwards that also fits how JR operates (aka he loves acquiring retreads and players he has liked for a long time) and the Habs get a younger top-4 LD. The years of control for all of these guys are the same, Nurse and Rust both have 2 years left on their current deals followed by being UFAs, and Domi is a RFA while being a UFA in 2 years.

Edit: Updated proposal:

Oilers get McCann and Rust
Penguins get Domi and Lehkonen
Habs get Nurse and Haas/Archibald/Khaira
I like it for my team but the Oilers get shafted.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs fan here:

Yes for the first trade (Domi for Nurse would be good for everyone I think) but no for the alternative.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Haha. Like when the Habs criticized Price and wanted to trade him for 50% retention or have Seattle take him in the expansion draft :laugh:

I'm a Habs fans. You don't realize how Habs fans are our own worse enemies with the up/down hype/frustration movement on players from season to season and even game to game. Expert GM fans in the basement.

"Domi sucks, get rid of him". 12 months ago, those same fans would have not traded Domi for Laine :laugh:

haha yeah the media is bipolar in montreal. In this case, i just saw it as "if Domi insists on playing center, he's gone", as LL, Suzuki and Danault are ahead of him in term of centers, and he's useless on a 4th line. It's more of a "this is coming up" than a "he has to go" scenario, in my mind.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Just that he is far better than almost all the oilers wingers. Lol ya no need
Nobody said there was no need for wingers. Just that blowing a gaping hole in your top 4 for ANOTHER winger when defense and goaltending was your weak point doesn't make any sense.

And it doesn't. Add in the fact that other than this year Darnell Nurse has put up pretty close numbers to Rust as a defensemen and it makes even less sense.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Rust would be the perfect RW for McDavid.

Provides defensive coverage, shown to produce with both Crosby and Malkin, extremely
fast and is cost controlled.

Perhaps, but you can't pay for a guy like he is a ppg player just because you think he MIGHT become one on McDavid's wing. That has been the argument too many times here on HF. It isn't realistic.

Rust is a (max) 56 point guy playing with a top center. Cool, and the Oilers could definitely use him. However the ask is a 25 year old 41 point defenseman. That's a tad high, don't you think?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Perhaps, but you can't pay for a guy like he is a ppg player just because you think he MIGHT become one on McDavid's wing. That has been the argument too many times here on HF. It isn't realistic.

Rust is a (max) 56 point guy playing with a top center. Cool, and the Oilers could definitely use him. However the ask is a 25 year old 41 point defenseman. That's a tad high, don't you think?

Why is that his max? This is the first year he was played exclusively as a top six winger. He was typically a 35-40 pt guy with Cullen or Brassard as his most frequent center.

Marchand had the same type of career. And the Rust is on a sweet heart deal for being even a 20-20 guy with what else he brings.

Nurse is a second pairing LD. It isn’t an outrageous move.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why is that his max? This is the first year he was played exclusively as a top six winger. He was typically a 35-40 pt guy with Cullen or Brassard as his most frequent center.

Well at 28 I figured he is what he is. I don't see a quantum leap forward for a winger at that age moving forward.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Marchand had the same type of career. And the Rust is on a sweet heart deal for being even a 20-20 guy with what else he brings.

Nurse is a second pairing LD. It isn’t an outrageous move.
It's outrageous when you consider team needs, as the last thing Edmonton should do is trade on of their very few capable top 4 defensemen for another winger to stick with McDavid. Doesn't even matter who the winger is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's outrageous when you consider team needs, as the last thing Edmonton should do is trade on of their very few capable top 4 defensemen for another winger to stick with McDavid. Doesn't even matter who the winger is.

I guess. I don’t think Edmonton lost because of their D though. They lost because their wing depth is like Pitts circa 2014.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I guess. I don’t think Edmonton lost because of their D though. They lost because their wing depth is like Pitts circa 2014.
If you're talking about these past 4 games I have to disagree. Defense absolutely killed them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad