Proposal: Pens-Habs-Oilers 3-way deal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins get Domi
Oilers get Rust
Habs get Nurse

Fairly straight up swap. Oilers get a speedy RW to play with McDavid who has had success with elite players, Penguins make a change of scenery swap with top-6 forwards that also fits how JR operates (aka he loves acquiring retreads and players he has liked for a long time) and the Habs get a younger top-4 LD. The years of control for all of these guys are the same, Nurse and Rust both have 2 years left on their current deals followed by being UFAs, and Domi is a RFA while being a UFA in 2 years.

Edit: Updated proposal:

Oilers get McCann and Rust
Penguins get Domi and Lehkonen
Habs get Nurse and Haas/Archibald/Khaira

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you serious?!?!?! with domi attitude if habs can grab nurse, it will be a steal.

Oilers is the big loser on that trade, trading one of their 2 best dman for a depht foward who just had the season of his life. It's terrible

Rust would legitimately be the Oilers 2nd best winger after whichever of RNH or Draisaitl is playing on the wing.

Rust is at worst a 2nd liner winger. Even if you completely ignore this year, he's been at a 42 point pace per 82 games (pretty much 90% of which is at ES) in the last 3 years while being excellent defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rust would legitimately be the Oilers 2nd best winger after whichever of RNH or Draisaitl is playing on the wing.

You don't trade a top 4LD for a winger though. And the Habs won't trade Domi who has more team control for Nurse who is UFA after 2 years.

Until Domi signs a 2 year deal... 2 years of RFA > 2 years then UFA

Habs pass. I like Nurse but not that much.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Maybe so but that's really more of a reflection on the Oilers wing depth than it is on Rust and it doesn't really disprove what they said. I think calling him a depth winger is overly harsh it's undeniable he just had a career year and repeatability is a valid question.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
No from habs
I’d take it. I don’t like Domi on the wing and I think Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Danault are more important for the Habs at C going forward. Meanwhile with how weak the Habs are on the left side, Nurse immediately becomes their top LD.

value wise, I think it’s very fair for MTL.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You don't trade a top 4LD for a winger though. And the Habs won't trade Domi who has more team control for Nurse who is UFA after 2 years.

Until Domi signs a 2 year deal... 2 years of RFA > 2 years then UFA

Habs pass. I like Nurse but not that much.

No he doesn't. Domi has 2 RFA years and then is a UFA. Nurse is signed for 2 years and then is a UFA.

And on the "you don't trade a top-4 LD for a winger" comment, you see those trades happen quite often. Neal for Goligoski and Whitney for Kunitz are two off the top of my head that the Penguins did.

Maybe so but that's really more of a reflection on the Oilers wing depth than it is on Rust and it doesn't really disprove what they said. I think calling him a depth winger is overly harsh it's undeniable he just had a career year and repeatability is a valid question.

Rust's a 2nd liner that just had a PPG year that is likely unsustainable. That doesn't make him a depth player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d take it. I don’t like Domi on the wing and I think Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Danault are more important for the Habs at C going forward. Meanwhile with how weak the Habs are on the left side, Nurse immediately becomes their top LD.

Value is fair yes but idea is flawed. Oilers are not going to trade their D cause they need it and I rather trade Domi for a guy who has more than 2 years till UFA ;)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

That's not saying much. This is bad for the Oilers who would be creating a huge hole on LD to somewhat improve on wing.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Nurse isn’t what Habs need/want.
No issue trading Domi or adding a sweetener for something better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's not saying much. This is bad for the Oilers who would be creating a huge hole on LD to somewhat improve on wing.

This trade would be a hell of a lot more than "somewhat" improve on the wing.

Rust's a 2nd line caliber winger that will jump up to a 1st/2nd line tweener if he repeats near what he did last year. Now if you don't want to trade Nurse for a currently 2nd line winger, that's fair, but let's not pretend Rust is this bad player. He's not.

If you take out this year entirely, Rust is at a 42 point pace per 82 games in the last 3 years, with a huge majority (around 80%-90%) being at ES. At worst, he was a 2nd/3rd line tweener before this year that has elevated into a 2nd liner because of what he did last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No he doesn't. Domi has 2 RFA years and then is a UFA. Nurse is signed for 2 years and then is a UFA.

And on the "you don't trade a top-4 LD for a winger" comment, you see those trades happen quite often. Neal for Goligoski and Whitney for Kunitz are two off the top of my head that the Penguins did.

Until Domi signs a 2 year deal.... Domi > Nurse in terms of asset control. Domi can be easily locked up for 5 years any time in the next year. With Nurse, he gets to play his age 25 and 26 seasons (prime years) and then cash in. No way I want that headache. Especially when this comes after Covid19 is gone and the new US TV deal and Seattle revenue kicks in.

Sorry, I got my reasons and don't care if you think a 2 year contract then UFA is better than 2 years of RFA.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Works for the Habs value-wise. I'm not sure Nurse is the defenceman we should pursue, but value's good.

Don't see Edmonton being happy with this trade, though.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Until Domi signs a 2 year deal.... Domi > Nurse in terms of asset control. Domi can be easily locked up for 5 years any time in the next year. With Nurse, he gets to play his age 25 and 26 seasons (prime years) and then cash in. No way I want that headache.

But that's literally false. In terms of control, they're the exact same. That is not an opinion question, that's a factual statement.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But that's literally false. In terms of control, they're the exact same. That is not an opinion question, that's a factual statement.

They are only the same if Domi signs a 2 year deal. Any team trading for him won't sign him to 2 years cause that's dumb.

Teams with pending UFA's for the season after Seattle and new US TV deal revenue kicks in are going to have a headache. Agents love it when the cap bumps up substantially. The new US TV deal is going to increase cap space by $5M (at least) for each team. Could be upwards to $8M each team depending on how much Bettman gets in negotiations. Right now they are getting about $200M per season and that will grow to $500M+.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Rust is a 2-way winger that plays with intensity, has high IQ, can PK, and is clutch is playoffs. That can’t be disputed and that kind of player is valuable.

Yeah, he had an above average season this year points-wise because of Malkin... but guess what, he would get to play with McDavid or Draisaitl in this trade so what makes you think his production would dip :laugh:

if we traded him to a team with crap centers MAYBE he goes back to being a 40 point guy. He easily hits 65+ on the oilers.

I don’t know a whole lot about Nurse to really comment on value but he sounds like a top 4 D (#3 on a good defense team, #2 on the Habs). I think Rust is worth that.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013

Nurse doesn’t have the highest hockey IQ.
His playoff performance is worrisome, as well.
Again, I don’t see him as a fit with habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rust is a 2-way winger that plays with intensity, has high IQ, can PK, and is clutch is playoffs. That can’t be disputed and that kind of player is valuable.

Yeah, he had an above average season this year points-wise because of Malkin... but guess what, he would get to play with McDavid or Draisaitl in this trade so what makes you think his production would dip :laugh:

if we traded him to a team with crap centers MAYBE he goes back to being a 40 point guy. He easily hits 65+ on the oilers.

I don’t know a whole lot about Nurse to really comment on value but he sounds like a top 4 D (#3 on a good defense team, #2 on the Habs). I think Rust is worth that.

Top 6 wingers are not worth top 4D. Domi is a winger/center type and Rust is a pure winger. Pens are trying to capalize on Rusk's big season. Jumped from 0.5 pts/game to pt/game in his age 27 seasons. Doubt he is a pt/game player moving forward. If he was, Pens would not trade him ;)

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Top 6 wingers are not worth top 4D. Domi is a winger/center type and Rust is a pure winger. Pens are trying to capalize on Rusk's big season. Jumped from 0.5 pts/game to pt/game in his age 27 seasons. Doubt he is a pt/game player moving forward. If he was, Pens would not trade him ;)
Sooo by your logic Domi is not worth a top 4 D hahah

Domi is a winger. And there are a ton of Habs fans on here that admit that themselves. Saying he’s a wing/center hybrid doesn’t increase his value at all.

People don’t want to accept Rust’s one year of stellar play but are quick to point out Domi’s 1 year of 70 points lol. Career wise they both have had highs and lows and both are top 6 wingers. The value gap there is not much at all, if anything give Domi a hair of an advantage because of his age.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah, and you will be whining about it in 2 years when Nurse tells he will walk if you don't pay him $8M. You think $8M is crazy? Well, you don't see the forest for the trees cause Seattle and new US TV deal is going to skyrocket the cap. Flat cap for this year and next and them bang... $90M+ salary cap. Brookmark it! You will see.

I'd avoid any contract the expires in 2 or 3 years in a Domi return.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Sooo by your logic Domi is not worth a top 4 D hahah

Domi is a winger. And there are a ton of Habs fans on here that admit that themselves. Saying he’s a wing/center hybrid doesn’t increase his value at all.

People don’t want to accept Rust’s one year of stellar play but are quick to point out Domi’s 1 year of 70 points lol. Career wise they both have had highs and lows and both are top 6 wingers. The value gap there is not much at all, if anything give Domi a hair of an advantage because of his age.
No Hab fan has said he is a winger sorry stop lying. The majority of Habs fans have said he is a center. If he was a winger we wouldn't be looking to trade him.

Reactions: mattyboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad