Post-Game Talk: Pens gone . Pick becomes better then when trade was made . Thoughts

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
That pick is a very valuable asset....in a trade.

I don't want them to use it. Far too many holes on this team and it is finally the time to move up the standings. Get some help on the back end ASAP.

Agreed it would be insane to draft. That pick has to be used to bring in a roster player.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'm leaning towards yes. But that being said it should absolutely be for a proven commodity. They need to keep their picks and continue to draft and develop so they don't waste away in years 3-4-5-6. With a good developmental system in place now they can really build a sustainable window. Of course it will be incredibly tough and nothing is for certain but I would like to see them really think long term.

This has potential to be something special if done right.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm leaning towards yes. But that being said it should absolutely be for a proven commodity. They need to keep their picks and continue to draft and develop so they don't waste away in years 3-4-5-6. With a good developmental system in place now they can really build a sustainable window. Of course it will be incredibly tough and nothing is for certain but I would like to see them really think long term.

See, I don't actually agree with this because you've got:

Taylor Hall @ 5 more years
Jordan Eberle @ 4 more years
RNH @ 6 more years
McDavid @ 7 years till UFA status (probably 11)
Draisaitl @ 7 years till UFA status
Klefbom @ 5 more years till UFA status
Nurse @ 7 years till UFA status

Drafting and developing a consistent stream of quality talent to replace outgoing members of the organization is important, however you've got most of your keystones at no older than 24 years of age under contract (inevitably if not literally) for 4-11 years.

By using draft picks to fill those holes now, you will still have plenty of opportunity to draft and develop for eventual holes in three years time or so.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I tend to agree with Philly on this... but if they don't intend to move out one of the core players -- that pick has to come into play, and even then I am unsure what kind of return to expect, even with a prospect thrown in?

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
With pitts being bounced out, this second first rounder becomes very valuable. They could hold on to the last minute, and see if there is a player they really wanted (because it does happen a lot, some players fall as teams fill for need, or just draft stupid),or the team could bundle that pick with a prospect or established vet to get a better player, or use it as part of a package with a major piece to get that number 1 defense man.

We also have 2 2nd rounders, and 2 third rounders depending on how the Habs do. A lot of bullets there, and then UFA season as well. I actually think it depends on who the new coach is as well. Have say Babcock as the coach makes this team even more attractive to UFA's, and Chia may decide to use the pick or even bundle it to move up the draft and get another decent defense man prospect (hell of a deep draft, there are some really good looking defensive prospects as well)

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010

The problem is that the Oilers have been looking long term for 10 years. The pick is not guaranteed to produce an NHLer. And that prospect might not be ready for 3-5 years. We have plenty of young guys with no experience in how to be successful in the NHL and IMO we need to start focusing on getting quality core guys with leadership rather than young guns.But, I won't be terribly disappointed if they draft a goaltender or defenceman. We could do with one of either of them in the pipeline. It just means that we will need to move one of our other current young forwards for help.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
See, I don't actually agree with this because you've got:

Taylor Hall @ 5 more years
Jordan Eberle @ 4 more years
RNH @ 6 more years
McDavid @ 7 years till UFA status (probably 11)
Draisaitl @ 7 years till UFA status
Klefbom @ 5 more years till UFA status
Nurse @ 7 years till UFA status

Drafting and developing a consistent stream of quality talent to replace outgoing members of the organization is important, however you've got most of your keystones at no older than 24 years of age under contract (inevitably if not literally) for 4-11 years.

By using draft picks to fill those holes now, you will still have plenty of opportunity to draft and develop for eventual holes in three years time or so.

Not that I don't agree with you, I just think that for one: the team will not contend for a Cup in the next 2 years, even with all the assets, any of the trades hypothetically available, McJesus in the fold on the ELC (could be completely wrong), for two: I think with the cap, they will move out at least one of the "core" pieces, alleviating some $$$ pressure, and I think it's completely unrealistic to keep this group of top 6 forwards together when the balance is clearly off and: three, NHL managers are completely aware of their situation and it will be tough to actually get what they need unless you're giving up something of substance.

im drunk so I'm rambling on a bit, but I'm just worried, even with PC at the helm... that other clubs will really try to low ball. Absolutely I think playoffs should be a real thing come next year with the new arena, everyone is antsy as **** to get this thing going, I'm just scared... I don't want to see a Crosby situation like in Pittsburgh... where a generational player wins a Cup early on and then a horrible depression... Sounds absolutely ludicrous considering how bad this team has been, and as I said nothing is ever certain but I'm just saying I'd like to see a sustained, Cup contending team for 5-7 years. Nothing good lasts forever, I just want to see them do things as best they can. It all hinges on McJesus of course.

I dunno... my mind is blown... someone hold me...

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Not that I don't agree with you, I just think that for one: the team will not contend for a Cup in the next 2 years, even with all the assets, any of the trades hypothetically available, McJesus in the fold on the ELC (could be completely wrong), for two: I think with the cap, they will move out at least one of the "core" pieces, alleviating some $$$ pressure, and I think it's completely unrealistic to keep this group of top 6 forwards together when the balance is clearly off and: three, NHL managers are completely aware of their situation and it will be tough to actually get what they need unless you're giving up something of substance.

im drunk so I'm rambling on a bit, but I'm just worried, even with PC at the helm... that other clubs will really try to low ball. Absolutely I think playoffs should be a real thing come next year with the new arena, everyone is antsy as **** to get this thing going, I'm just scared... I don't want to see a Crosby situation like in Pittsburgh... where a generational player wins a Cup early on and then a horrible depression... Sounds absolutely ludicrous considering how bad this team has been, and as I said nothing is ever certain but I'm just saying I'd like to see a sustained, Cup contending team for 5-7 years. Nothing good lasts forever, I just want to see them do things as best they can. It all hinges on McJesus of course.

Lets be honest Mcdavid may be between 8-10M
Eberle way over paid 4-4.5 mil
RNH way over paid 5 mil
Hall reasonably paid 7mil
Nurse - 6m
Klef - 6m

they will have about 20 mil on everyone else. Right now a lot of depth guys are overpaid.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Blame it on Crosby the guy could easily pull at Tom Brady and take a pay cut. He is making between 15-20 million worth of endorsements/pay each year. The first team in the cap era who has guys take pay cuts will become a dynasty.

Last edited:

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
What about packaging the pick with a prospect or a 2nd to move up 5 or 6 spots to try and get one of Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski?

I'm not really a fan of getting younger per se, but from what I've read (100% of my opinion formed on this as I haven't really seen any of these guys play), sounds like all 3 of these kids have the potential to be top pair material.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
RNH way over paid 5 mil
Nurse - 6m
Klef - 6m

they will have about 20 mil on everyone else. Right now a lot of depth guys are overpaid.

I promise you Ebs and RNH would get 6m on the open market. Some teams might even offer Nuge more if they're desperate for a top line C and see his growth potential

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
What about packaging the pick with a prospect or a 2nd to move up 5 or 6 spots to try and get one of Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski?

I'm not really a fan of getting younger per se, but from what I've read (100% of my opinion formed on this as I haven't really seen any of these guys play), sounds like all 3 of these kids have the potential to be top pair material.

If the Oilers come out of this draft with McDavid, one of those three DMen, a top goalie prospect in the second round and a foreign goalie flier in the 4th or 5th, i will be totally impressed. I agree they should move up from 16 to 7-10. Quality not quantity. Address immediate needs with UFA's. Make the most out of the draft picks by drafting young talent. Maybe if the scouting department is gutted they can actually find some decent talent.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
No way they were getting past the rangers with their beat up D core. Least surprising result so far this postseason. I don't think they need to blow it up, they need to get healthy. They've had so many bizarre injuries the past couple years, blood clots, mumps etc.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Pens are out and we are drafting 16th

So Mact Trads maggs (who was taken 10th in 2009) and 2nd rounder for Perron and a 3rd

then trades Perron for Kink and the 16th pick in a very deep draft

while we are saying "don't hit your ass on the way out" we should also realize that we have a VERY good asset this off season because of him

His trading was very good. Hiring, not so much. Unless you think he was trying to tank, which I don't believe.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Does every random thought by the OP need to be a threadstart?

You have 7 current threads running on the board. Theres also multiple MacT threads where this could go.

The board is busy again. If every participant started a couple threads every days the board would flip pages every minute.

Yeah . I posted a lot more then normal . As a rule i don't like to post unless i am reply to a thread , but it been such a great off season . Guess i am too excited about the future for this great franchise . Chia , McDavid , Pens early exit means a much better pick then we thought when the Perron deal went down .

But you have to agree if i did not start this someone else would have .

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
We have this women at work that always cheers for American teams. NHL, MLB, NFL. She is in love with the Penguins and always talking about Crosby so I was happy when they got eliminated. No more Penguins and crybaby Crosby till fall, sweet!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
think bigger guys. we likely won't be trading this pick because we can't just throw in Marty Marincin with it and expect to walk out with a top or #3 d-man. i think one of our so called "core" players will be gone this summer....likely not Nuge with him being a center he can take some of the pressure off of McDavid. not sure if it would be Hall either. the idea of him maxing his full potential playing along side McDavid is a pretty tempting idea.

not sure if Ebs is safe or not but he'd bring the kind of d-man we need and we still need to get bigger up front and i think Chiarelli will be working on exactly this.

the thing with the picks is this is a chance for Chiarelli to put his stamp on the Oilers in the prospect department and take 'his' players while probably purging some of the previous regime's draft picks. just my opinion.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I think it should be looked at to be traded, but I also would not do it until we are about to pick. What happens if Crouse falls to 16 or Meier or Weirenski? Then you make the choice (get some Bruin toughness or an elite dman).

If you are ho hum about who you take at 16 or you get a really good offer......trade it in a heart beat.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
MacT ran this team in a way that only luck could ever hope to fix it. Damn did he get lucky this year with some of his moves. Pretty sure his luck was going to run out though so thank goodness we gave his job away.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It really really depends on the market.

This draft is heralded as the best in 20 Years. Using our picks secures the future. Deep draft like this can set you up nicely.

While I do agree we need proven players now we can't under value this year's picks.

I would prefer to trade those picks but only if the return is right.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
D wasn't the issue. The team doesn't have the offensive depth it used to. They only scored 1 goal in 4 of the 5 games, and only 8 total over the 5 games in the series.

Which probably is a symptom of the bad defense. Playing in their own zone to much, poor transition game, drop in quality of PP QBs, etc.
(see oilers)

Koto

May 3, 2011

Im sorry is it 2010/11? No.

Roster

players

Say it with me: roster players

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
RNH way over paid 5 mil
Nurse - 6m
Klef - 6m

Eberle and RNH are paid fairly compared to the market, they'd get those contracts easily in UFA

McDeathbyCheerios*

The pick is pretty valuable. If Yandle wasn't moved out from Arizona we might be able to Snag OEL with it.

Or if St Louis loses to the Wild... Maybe one of their d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad