Post-Game Talk: Pens gone . Pick becomes better then when trade was made . Thoughts

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Mediocre goaltending, stale atmosphere amongst the star players, no defence, limited offensive depth, management in flux.

I think they got to move one of Malkin or Sid... and you know they aren't trading 87 so yeah...

there's no chance of actual change in Pittsburgh.

They will just blame injuries (not a horrible excuse but a tired one) and maybe fire a couple of people

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
Yes! This week has been insane as an Oilers fan. Even if I heard Cotton Eyed Joe right now it wouldn't bring me down! :D

Love it. This week just keeps giving us gift after gift.
I say trade the pick but only for a top 4 Dman, don't just give it away and certainly don't deal it for a backup goalie like Talbot or Jones. In Chia We Trust.

Could have gone to the Rangers game tonight but had to work late unfortunately. Looks like I made the wrong decision. It would have been a cool atmosphere to be a part of.

Oh man. A Rangers game a MSG is on my bucket list. A playoff game to boot? *swoon* I've been in NY twice but never got the chance.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That pick really ties the room together.

oXa7DVp.jpg

Perfect . It does really tie this off season and the new arena together . :handclap:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You missed the 4th going to STL.

I thought it was a good trade when we all thought the pick was 20-something. Now that it's 16/15, it still looks good, but we have no idea what will happen with it.

I kind of hope they keep it, but I guess it depends what's available.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
there's no chance of actual change in Pittsburgh.

They will just blame injuries (not a horrible excuse but a tired one) and maybe fire a couple of people

Well, they were missing their top 4 defensemen (all of them) and one of their superstars was clearly playing injured. I think they did pretty well against the Rangers all things considered.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pretty sure he's been playing hurt for several weeks now.

And still had some dominate shifts in that final game. A player like him can't carry and entire team. The Pens are barely better than the Oilers... And mainly because of Malkin and Crosby.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That second we gave up turned into a blue chip prospect. Oh well... we probably would have drafted some overage BCHLer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And still had some dominate shifts in that final game. A player like him can't carry and entire team. The Pens are barely better than the Oilers... And mainly because of Malkin and Crosby.

Lets not go crazy, that Pittsburgh team finished just shy of 100 points, and held tough with the conference best Rangers in pretty much every game despite their D being decimated by injuries.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Does every random thought by the OP need to be a threadstart?

You have 7 current threads running on the board. Theres also multiple MacT threads where this could go.

The board is busy again. If every participant started a couple threads every days the board would flip pages every minute.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
If people want to know what is wrong with the Pens it's their top 4 Dmen were injured.

Letang - Erhoff
Maatta - Pouliot

They were talking about how Taylor Chorney was their 2nd best Dman this playoff.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Pretty sure he's been playing hurt for several weeks now.

Wouldn't surprise me

If he's not out with injuries, he's usually playing through them. Have to wonder after years of non-stop injuries what he's doing wrong with his training, he's become exceptionally brittle.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lets not go crazy, that Pittsburgh team finished just shy of 100 points, and held tough with the conference best Rangers in pretty much every game despite their D being decimated by injuries.

I'm talking about the playoff Pens. Yeah, the regular season Pens >>>> Oilers.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Mediocre goaltending, stale atmosphere amongst the star players, no defence, limited offensive depth, management in flux.

I think they got to move one of Malkin or Sid... and you know they aren't trading 87 so yeah...

They are the team that's ripe for dismantling. I don't think they want to move Malkin, but they may not have much choice. Their depth at forward is pretty much nonexistent, but they should be able to sign a few quality free agents, if they choose. Hornquist, Perron are good top 6ers and their defence is not bad when healthy. If they can move Malking for an upper tier No.2 centerman and a top 6 winger, they will be in a good position. But I love the fact they got spanked.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They need to start drafting diamonds in the late rounds. In the mean time, they need to get Kessel, Pominville, Hall, somebody, anybody, some star wingers already.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Were the penguins just a classic example of how important quality defense is? I mean their blue line was horrendous.

I remember in either game 1 or 2, one of the defensemen was carrying the puck up the ice and failed to spot crosby streaking. Sid purposely went offside to show his disgust on the play.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Ended up being a good deal.. I really like Klinkhammer, he's like a second Hendricks. That pick should net us something nice.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Were the penguins just a classic example of how important quality defense is? I mean their blue line was horrendous.

I remember in either game 1 or 2, one of the defensemen was carrying the puck up the ice and failed to spot crosby streaking. Sid purposely went offside to show his disgust on the play.

D wasn't the issue. The team doesn't have the offensive depth it used to. They only scored 1 goal in 4 of the 5 games, and only 8 total over the 5 games in the series.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
That pick is a very valuable asset....in a trade.

I don't want them to use it. Far too many holes on this team and it is finally the time to move up the standings. Get some help on the back end ASAP.

MPStoEberletoHall*

What about drafting a goalie at 15/16?

No thanks. Imo no goalie will get picked before #33, we can select whoever we want there if we are wanting a goalie:yo:

While we are on this topic, how do you guys rank the top 3 goalies in this draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad