Post-Game Talk: Pens dominate Ducks, 3-2, NHL considering contraction probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Naturally. I think I was bad luck this game. Literally the chain of events,

I realize the game doesn't start at 10:30, I get the stream up and running. The Ducks score.
The steam is crap, I close it and look for another. The Pens score.
I'm watching. Crap, crap, crap.
I don't watch anything after the 2nd period. A miracle happens.

Of course Orpik is Orpik, he's one constant in all of this.

I was only able to watch the last few minutes of the game and OT because my mom made me help her with getting a bunch of stuff ready for a baby shower. Like something from Martha Stewart, but instead of Martha's battalion of slaves there was just me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go draw baby faces on 100 cake pops and decorate cupcakes with mini marshmallows to look like lambs. F-off Pinterest.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well that's what it feels like when your goalie and some good luck wins you a game. It felt good.

I'd like some post-game on what was being said in between end of OT and shootout. Getzlaf was runnin his mouth all night to everyone. Would love a mic down there.

Must be pretty fun to watch that on any given night as a Ducks fan. That first line is lightning every time it's out there, and it looks like they have fun putting on a show. So many times the cross-ice passes the Pens have had got (get) rejected, but so often the Ducks' first line - particularly Getzlaf - was able to float so many saucer passes back to the weak side with space. On each of those plays you can't help but hold your breath, and on all but the 1st goal the Pens came up Roses. Intense "oh *****" moment followed by total relief...all night.

+MAF
-The usual. But.
+For whatever reason (am I crazy?) I don't recall Adams out there too often late in the game.
+Seeing the immature jitters from Despres rescued by creativity and talent. There were a few scrambles and a few falls/recoveries, but I like that he's not always looking to get the puck off his stick as soon as he touches it. The idea is there to shake forecheckers, use agility to throw fakes, and to carry the puck out of harm's way, where higher percentage options are available. Then he has the talent to recover and follow through with that idea. That is very encouraging.
+During a scrum in the 3rd Pyatt darted in to get Geno out of a potential "bad" situation of - a) getting punched and/or b) taking a penalty. That's an intelligent play and he stuck up for a teammate at the same time. Gotta give him that (even if I couldn't even get myself to putting his name right after the + - what a cheater).
+Malkin hit on Perry. Perry and Getzlaf were darting to the center with absolutely no fear of paying for it physically. Malkin clocked Perry with a really hard hit. After much of Perry's antics it was quite the "****" moment delivered in dominant fashion.
+Sid after missing the breakaway. It's not fair to expect that type of "try n stop me" demeanor at all times, but it was great to see it on display. I hope to see more of it.
-Forwards covering points. Pinch for cycle, cover the point. Yay.

We saw a similar game. Depres was at times like a young awkward blue blood Colt. Nervousness oozing with talent and Will.

I was so stoked to see Crosby turn up his game after the missed breakaway. Have not seen much of that determination from him in a Pens uniform lately - glad to see it's still there.

I would have paid $10 to hear Getzlef's word games tonight. It was awesome to see Fleury come over before the shoot out and start messing with him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Didn't see the game, and saw that several posters said our first line with Stempniak looked good. However, that line only registered one shot, and that was Crosby's breakaway in OT.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If I had the time, I would love to make the following vids.

1) Orpik and Glass - Cycle Killers - obviously to the tune of Talking Heads' classic. Every one of their touches in the offensive zone ends up with us losing possession. Amazing.

2) Scuds and Adams - Free Pass - Scuds backhanding up the boards with no-one around. Iron Man attempting to clear the puck from the defensive zone.

3) Sid - Five-Hole! Save! - A compilation of every Sid breakaway/ shootout attempt this year. It would be funny to see all his 5-hole mid-stride shots in a row.

4) More Orpik - Veteran Physical Presence - a compilation of Orpik standing around the crease not moving bodies or picking up sticks.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Also, looks like the deal on Fleury is out. On the shootout come down the left hand side and shoot glove side.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Didn't see the game, and saw that several posters said our first line with Stempniak looked good. However, that line only registered one shot, and that was Crosby's breakaway in OT.

Stempniak hasn't really looked all the good to me personally. It's only game 2 though, so I'm not going to be too harsh on the guy. He flubbed some passes and didn't have much of an impact in general. I'm sure some others might see it differently however.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I was only able to watch the last few minutes of the game and OT because my mom made me help her with getting a bunch of stuff ready for a baby shower. Like something from Martha Stewart, but instead of Martha's battalion of slaves there was just me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go draw baby faces on 100 cake pops and decorate cupcakes with mini marshmallows to look like lambs. F-off Pinterest.

Cake pops? Gimme. But the good ones, not the inferior ones. I won't be falling for that one again.

I got roped into helping with a wedding shower awhile back, I shelled eggs. So many eggs. We found out there's an easier way a month later, my thumbs were "scratched" up (so much hand washing to get rid of the smell) and I didn't eat eggs for awhile. Mass food prep is a horrible experience.

One of my greatest fears in life is my mother figuring out how to use Pinterest, it's a fear shared in the family. Clearly it's wise.

Mission: accomplished.

Success. :handclap: This should be our new thing, they'll all love us.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He'd make a great foreign diplomat. If any leaders need to find some common ground, surely they can agree that Orpik is a thick steaming coiler out there.

Yeah, but what happens when the thick steaming coilers of the world unite in a class action suit. I mean, comparing Orpik to them would be an open and shut slander case, no? ;)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Pinterest... Wat???

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I understand the concept, dude, I'm just saying I didn't see that line do anything other than be good off the rush, which isn't what I'd expect when they have a proper puck retriever doing puck retriever things. I didn't think that line got significantly better. But I'm not saying don't keep it up. Pyatt - Malkin - Neal was certainly no WORSE, which means the upgrade to the 3rd line was more than worth it.

I saw more sustained time in the offensive zone. They tilted the ice. I'd much rather see Malkin and Neal making Getzlaf and Perry play defense than the opposite, which was part of the difference between the third and the first two periods.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oh, one big minus to me

I was at 14,441 posts in the 1st period. I ruined it. I hate myself. Good night.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
- I can't believe we are talking about Pyatt with Malkin.

- That slap pass off the backboards from his own blueline that Getzlaf made was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in a hockey game. He ****ing meant to do that... Unreal.

- Lovejoy doesn't suck after all. Some of us had his back at least. Always believed in the Rev. He got Bylsmaed, now he's free.

- Goc must wonder why he was moved from hockey purgatory to hockey hell.

- My positive from this game is the Pens finally smartened up and realized puck mgmt works wonders.

What little he can do as a puck retriever better enables Geno and Neal to play to their strengths than JJ or anyone else Bylsma would put there.

Note: I said anyone Bylsma WOULD put there, not anyone Bylsma COULD put there come playoffs . . . cough, Bennett, cough.

+ Pyatt swooping in between Geno and the Ducks before anything happened

A huge PLUS there IMO. Name another guy who has done that for Sid and Geno this year (heck, the last few years).

Not a moment of hesitation. Beauchemin got in Geno's grill, and in a flash Pyatt stepped in between.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Pinterest... Wat???

I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I'm under the impression that it's the epicenter of a craft/food decorating hell.

... I am however going to go see if the Pens have one because that would make me laugh.

Edit: They do. There's smugBylsma seen under coach's corner, it's the picture they use for him. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh God, I'm already pissed.

Steigy: "Craig Adams, usually sure handed, couldn't get the puck out and it created a chance for the Ducks"

I swear, I feel like I'm in an alternate universe sometimes.

Just fast forward to the three minute mark of the third. You might have a coronary watching the first 43 minutes. :laugh:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
EDIT: And JJ's skill actually added a nice dimension to the Sutter and Vitale combo. Sutter's best period in forever.

Absolutely. I wish we got that Sutter on a nightly basis. Would be a big big help.

Remind me again why Vitale is ever scratched?

Pretty shocked at the benching of Gladams in the 3rd period, but hey, I'm not complaining. Poor Goc though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I'm under the impression that it's the epicenter of a craft/food decorating hell.

... I am however going to go see if the Pens have one because that would make me laugh.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Being both crafty and foody, I rather like it. And yes, the Pens do have one, it's run by the PR lady, but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely. I wish we got that Sutter on a nightly basis. Would be a big big help.

Remind me again why Vitale is ever scratched?

Pretty shocked at the benching of Gladams in the 3rd period, but hey, I'm not complaining. Poor Goc though.

I want to see what happens with Stempniak with Sid and Kunitz. IF they can get something going, then you've got some options when Beau comes back.

The smart move would be to run Beau with Geno and Neal and keep JJ-Sutter-Vitale. Not a pure shutdown line, but a line that could be a net positive. Plus, it's not as if Bylsma can line match to save his life anyway.

What I fear will happen is Pyatt will be decent with Geno and Neal, not because he's decent, but because the degree to which he's a puck retriever will make it easier for Geno to go into God mode, and Geno in God mode can cover for a lot. In that case, it will be Beau or Vitale scratched come playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad