Post-Game Talk: Pens dominate Ducks, 3-2, NHL considering contraction probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's hard to play an effective counter-attack game predicated on speed when Orpik and Scuderi are content to put the puck anywhere so long as it's off their stick, and we're icing so many slow forwards.

Even at our darkest moments, our love of Orpik unites us. :naughty:

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Yeah, can't agree with you here. Unlike last might we got better as the game went along. Not a masterpiece but more encouraging. I think we match up better with the Ducks. Not saying they are pushovers by any means. They had us on the ropes a lot in the first half of the game. But eventually we started gettin chances. Neal, Geno and Sid all had great chances to score. We could have just as easily scored five goals ourselves.

Fair enough. It was definitely and upgrade over last night's debacle, that's for sure. I still feel like we're getting pushed around in front of our net way too much. Thankfully Fleury stepped up in a big way tonight. As much crap as he got when he was here, I miss the days of Hal Gill protecting the crease. It's just discouraging to see teams have their way with our defense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Goc stays on the 4th line, I have to think that hurts the chances of him re-signing.

Probably.

Then again, Gladams doesn't look as bad with Goc. They looked even better in the third on the bench.

Michael8771*

Not that this is any sort of revelation, but Orpik is killing us.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Wait, Pyatt-Malkin-Neal was seen and Jokinen-Sutter? Damn it, I wanted to see more of PMN after it happened that time and I want JS to be a thing. I would call it JSut.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is it a + or a - that I missed anything after the 2nd period?

I feel confident in saying
- Orpik, useless at best
- Gladams
- Bylsma Bylsma'd even if he managed some good he still did more bad.

A big minus. Pyatt and Jokinen were flipped, and it titled the ice big time in the Pens favor.

Too flawed a team long term, but Pyatt brought out the best in Geno and Neal, and JJ brought out the best in Sutter and Vitale.

They looked like a team that sort of could compete . . . for real.

Wait, Pyatt-Malkin-Neal was seen and Jokinen-Sutter? Damn it, I wanted to see more of PMN after it happened that time and I want JS to be a thing. I would call it JSut.

Save its first shift when Orpik Orpiked them, they spent most of the period making Getzlaf and Perry play defense. Pyatt mucked everything. Neal more often than Geno was in close support. Geno was F3 and was a total predator. Really gave the Ducks big fits.

EDIT: And JJ's skill actually added a nice dimension to the Sutter and Vitale combo. Sutter's best period in forever.

Michael8771*

Fair enough. It was definitely and upgrade over last night's debacle, that's for sure. I still feel like we're getting pushed around in front of our net way too much. Thankfully Fleury stepped up in a big way tonight. As much crap as he got when he was here, I miss the days of Hal Gill protecting the crease. It's just discouraging to see teams have their way with our defense.
Don't really want to start rumors or look too far ahead but boy wouldn't a wing like Evander Kane look good in our top six? He's the type of player that can add a bit of physicality to go along with his speed and skill. Not that he's overly physical but he's not someone you want to take liberties with.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Probably.

Then again, Gladams doesn't look as bad with Goc. They looked even better in the third on the bench.

Though I like Vitale and he's great at FO's, he really doesn't handle his responsibilities very well, especially with a couple of numb nuts like our 4th line. Playing L3 RW is really not a bad use of his speed and ability to forecheck and just generally cause issues.

Goc is much better there on that 4th line, if you insist upon putting Gladdams out there at least.

They should just let Vitale take faceoffs on Sutter's line then play RW.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
It's hard to play an effective counter-attack game predicated on speed when Orpik and Scuderi are content to put the puck anywhere so long as it's off their stick, and we're icing so many slow forwards.

I don't know, I don't feel like we're all that slow. Other than our fourth line I think we're pretty adequate as far as that goes. In my opinion we're not getting into the dirty areas, which is more of a problem than speed. And I agree that Orpik and Scuds are definitely holding back our offense when they're on the ice. If they were playing better defensively then I could deal with it. Personally, I want a team that can cycle, and wear teams down in their own end, and I don't feel as though we've had those types of forwards for a long time.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
A big minus. Pyatt and Jokinen were flipped, and it titled the ice big time in the Pens favor.

Too flawed a team long term, but Pyatt brought out the best in Geno and Neal, and JJ brought out the best in Sutter and Vitale.

They looked like a team that sort of could compete . . . for real.

Save its first shift when Orpik Orpiked them, they spent most of the period making Getzlaf and Perry play defense. Pyatt mucked everything. Neal more often than Geno was in close support. Geno was F3 and was a total predator. Really gave the Ducks big fits.

Naturally. I think I was bad luck this game. Literally the chain of events,

I realize the game doesn't start at 10:30, I get the stream up and running. The Ducks score.
The steam is crap, I close it and look for another. The Pens score.
I'm watching. Crap, crap, crap.
I don't watch anything after the 2nd period. A miracle happens.

Of course Orpik is Orpik, he's one constant in all of this.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even at our darkest moments, our love of Orpik unites us. :naughty:

He'd make a great foreign diplomat. If any leaders need to find some common ground, surely they can agree that Orpik is a thick steaming coiler out there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really, really hate any 4th line combo with Glass/Adams on this team.
If Goc is gonna play 4th line C he should have something he can play with:

Zolniercyk-Goc-Vitale
Zolniercyk-Goc-Engelland

Glass is just a terrible hockey player outside of blocking shots and getting in late hits that don't disrupt play flow whatsoever.

K-C-Bennett/Stemps
Pyatt-M-N
JJ-Sutter-Bennet/Stemps
and the 4th line mentioned above.

Probably the best you're gonna do for a playoff run with this roster.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
hopefully Bennett gives Malkin and Neal a nice off wing shot and physical play on the boards. JJ just is useless sometimes and add hiim to Neal being useless a lot, that is an issue. Vitale brings energy and speed on the fourth line as well. Goc has some decent skills and with Sutter and JJ at least he is playing some offensive talent. Gibbons as to go back to AHL and develop more strength. Borts give the Perns size and grit and will pack someone, That is needed with Scuderi and Orpik who play soft and positional.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for answering my question, guys. Now I know how Simon Despres feels when he's on the ice in practice with Bylsma, Orpik, Glass, and Adams.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Don't really want to start rumors or look too far ahead but boy wouldn't a wing like Evander Kane look good in our top six? He's the type of player that can add a bit of physicality to go along with his speed and skill. Not that he's overly physical but he's not someone you want to take liberties with.

Yeah, I was drooling when those rumors were floating around that Winnipeg wanted to trade him and Ladd. If only the Jets were cellar dwellers, they may have decided to blow it up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It changed the roles. Geno as lead forechecker means the offensive zone play doesn't flow through him. Pyatt as lead forechecker, often with Neal in support, let Malkin kind of be a predator out there. He got just a little space, and it led to sustained offensive zone pressure. Pyatt just kind of mucked things up, and IMO that is how Geno likes it in the offensive zone, not the fast tic-tac-toe **** but more like someone who gets the puck, probes, tries to generate a chance, and then looks for an outlet if he gets into trouble and for it to start over. That's really what made Talbot so brilliant there. He mucked it up and knew how to be an outlet, which in turn freed up Geno to kind of be the offensive zone general instead of general and foot soldier all in one, because he can only do that in full God mode.

I'd leave JJ with Sutter and Vitale and hold that spot with Geno and Neal for Bennett, pending how Stemp develops chemistry with Sid and Kunitz. Not ideal, but the best management of a less than ideal situation.

I understand the concept, dude, I'm just saying I didn't see that line do anything other than be good off the rush, which isn't what I'd expect when they have a proper puck retriever doing puck retriever things. I didn't think that line got significantly better. But I'm not saying don't keep it up. Pyatt - Malkin - Neal was certainly no WORSE, which means the upgrade to the 3rd line was more than worth it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Wasn't able to catch this one.

A couple of questions:

1-What line is Goc on? His ice time would suggest 4th. If that's the case, then who played on the third line?

2-Were the shot totals more indicative of who dominated the play, rather than the final score?

1) 4th

2) Ducks dominated for 45 minutes. Pens came on strong for the last 20.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I understand the concept, dude, I'm just saying I didn't see that line do anything other than be good off the rush, which isn't what I'd expect when they have a proper puck retriever doing puck retriever things. I didn't think that line got significantly better. But I'm not saying don't keep it up. Pyatt - Malkin - Neal was certainly no WORSE, which means the upgrade to the 3rd line was more than worth it.

They had a couple moments, but I think for the most part Pyatt sucks in general. He just showed flashes of what that line could do with a proper guy retrieving pucks.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Weird game, glad to see the Pens didn't pout and pack it in after 2.

They didn't unravel when the Ducks scored that early goal in the third either. It sure wasn't pretty but I'll take a split against the Sharks and Ducks on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad