Post-Game Talk: Pens dominate Ducks, 3-2, NHL considering contraction probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I am sure it isn't easy for DB, when your players have rock hard job security, and you are more in the 'year to year' category, it creates for a tough dynamic. But I think that goes for all modern day coaches with the money and the term these guys get. But especially so when coaching two superstars. That probably gets compounded.

It reminds me of an interview I heard this summer on the FAN. They interviewed Blysma's brother. (don't ask me why....haha). But he had some interesting things to say, in terms of relaying some things DB said to him. One was that during his first practice as coach, he was intimidated and just hoped that Sidney Crosby listened to him. "we had this drill and the first person to lose the puck had to do laps. And wouldn't you know the first person to lose the puck was Sid. And I just waited, hoping he would do it, and he fortunately he did".

Near the end of the interview the brother was asked, 'what do you think Dan would like people know, but would never dare say, (surprising the brother bit on that one). "That people think coaching a team with two superstars is easy, it isn't."

I am not a DB fan, but I get he doesn't have an easy job, as these players have big egos and tons more job security than he does. So on that last statement, I am sure he is right.

That explains a lot really. He's intimidated by the talent this team has. He doesn't want to rock the boat. He wants to be their friend. We don't need a coach that gets intimidated.

Sidney Crosby isn't a little punk kid, and neither is Malkin. If a coach asked them to do something I have an extremely hard time in believing they would scoff at the coach and tell him to **** off. They lead by example. An example set by the coach. This coach doesn't hold anybody accountable, so why should they hold themselves accountable?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
They're having pillow fights and playing whiffle ball in practice, having moustache boy competitions after a 5-1 loss in front of 60 thousand spectators. Canceling the morning skate after getting thrashed.

"At what point is it about personal accountability?" is a question, in sports, that is normally reserved when the coaching staff has done everything it could possibly do to put the players in a position to succeed.

To suggest that, for example, Olli Maatta is showing a lack of "personal accountability" when he doesn't perform after the coach chains Brooks Anchor around his neck is, to me, pretty risible.

Exactly ****ing right.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get both side of the argument.

But I really, really have a hard time disagreeing with anything in billy's post, either.

There are too many "participation trophy" moments on this team. Far too many.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That explains a lot really. He's intimidated by the talent this team has. He doesn't want to rock the boat. He wants to be their friend. We don't need a coach that gets intimidated.

Sidney Crosby isn't a little punk kid, and neither is Malkin. If a coach asked them to do something I have an extremely hard time in believing they would scoff at the coach and tell him to **** off. They lead by example. An example set by the coach. This coach doesn't hold anybody accountable, so why should they hold themselves accountable?

Watching Crosby in the Olympics proves this point.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It really doesn't matter who's to blame. At some point something has to give.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am sure it isn't easy for DB, when your players have rock hard job security, and you are more in the 'year to year' category, it creates for a tough dynamic. But I think that goes for all modern day coaches with the money and the term these guys get. But especially so when coaching two superstars. That probably gets compounded.

It reminds me of an interview I heard this summer on the FAN. They interviewed Blysma's brother. (don't ask me why....haha). But he had some interesting things to say, in terms of relaying some things DB said to him. One was that during his first practice as coach, he was intimidated and just hoped that Sidney Crosby listened to him. "we had this drill and the first person to lose the puck had to do laps. And wouldn't you know the first person to lose the puck was Sid. And I just waited, hoping he would do it, and he fortunately he did".

Near the end of the interview the brother was asked, 'what do you think Dan would like people know, but would never dare say, (surprising the brother bit on that one). "That people think coaching a team with two superstars is easy, it isn't."

I am not a DB fan, but I get he doesn't have an easy job, as these players have big egos and tons more job security than he does. So on that last statement, I am sure he is right.

I have said for quite some time, this team needs a coach with a name as big as the players that are on it. I don't think it's any wonder why Chicago has had the success they have had with Quenneville behind the bench. Despite the names and the accolades some of the players on that team have, Quenneville is a guy who must be respected because he was coaching in this league when these guys were in pampers. We could use coach who has an extended track record that is decades long and has an ego that is just as big as some of the players on this team may or may not have.

It will never happen because the guy is content where he's at, but I believe Larry Robinson would be a great fit here. Hall of Famer, 1st round pick, Canada Cups, 2 handfuls of Cup rings (as a coach and a player), Norris, Conn Smyth, and undoubtedly one of the best at his craft for 20 years, working in the Montreal pressure cooker. When he would walk in the room, not one single person could question his credentials. Not to mention, with the defensemen coming up...I mean, come on.

That's just my two cents.

They're having pillow fights and playing whiffle ball in practice, having moustache boy competitions after a 5-1 loss in front of 60 thousand spectators. Canceling the morning skate after getting thrashed.

"At what point is it about personal accountability?" is a question, in sports, that is normally reserved when the coaching staff has done everything it could possibly do to put the players in a position to succeed.

To suggest that, for example, Olli Maatta is showing a lack of "personal accountability" when he doesn't perform after the coach chains Brooks Anchor around his neck is, to me, pretty risible.

I think your posts have been dead on lately.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
orpilol.gif

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Nailed it!

STLPensFan

Jun 5, 2012
STL, MO

So, does it bear mentioning that this is Orpik playing much improved? I mean, he *did* settle the puck on his stick. And it *did* stay in the zone. I mean, what do you want from him? To do something with it after he's accomplished those two feats that he typically is incapable of?

CaptainMckenna*

Hey at least he didn't shoot the puck into crosbys face that's a plus right.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I have said for quite some time, this team needs a coach with a name as big as the players that are on it. I don't think it's any wonder why Chicago has had the success they have had with Quenneville behind the bench. Despite the names and the accolades some of the players on that team have, Quenneville is a guy who must be respected because he was coaching in this league when these guys were in pampers. We could use coach who has an extended track record that is decades long and has an ego that is just as big as some of the players on this team may or may not have.

It will never happen because the guy is content where he's at, but I believe Larry Robinson would be a great fit here. Hall of Famer, 1st round pick, Canada Cups, 2 handfuls of Cup rings (as a coach and a player), Norris, Conn Smyth, and undoubtedly one of the best at his craft for 20 years, working in the Montreal pressure cooker. When he would walk in the room, not one single person could question his credentials. Not to mention, with the defensemen coming up...I mean, come on.

That's just my two cents.

I think your posts have been dead on lately.

Craig Patrick had a similar problem with the very talented late '80's Pens. He came into a situation in which the previous two coaches were not respected at all by Mario and company, Creamer and Ubriaco. Patrick upon arrival took over the bench on an interim basis and then knew what type of coach he wanted. He brings in a guy they with some clout and respect around the league in Bob Johnson, and of course Scotty Bowman.

Of course it is different now, as those coaches Creamer and Ubriaco they didn't respect, but also hated. So when those guys pushed back on the players, they players didn't accept it. If today the players don't really respect/take seriously DB, it's OK, because they probably aren't getting push back.

(which reminds of something I heard 3rd hand, origination; someone who works with the team, so could be total BS. so take with a pound of salt, as 3rd hand is 3rd hand, but I kinda believe it. And he said that DB's biggest problem is he is more interested in being friends with these guys, than actually being their coach. I can see that as being possibly true. In which case, maybe that is what Shero wants, a babysitter, more than lay down the law guy.)

I think the situation, superstar dynamic, to a degree, affects Shero as well. (and probably most GM's, I dunno). As I have heard Shero asked on a couple of occasions in which trades where made, "did you consult Sidney Crosby on this first?." I thought it was a tongue in cheek question....And I was shocked, at his response. Because the first time I heard him respond this way was fairly early in Sid's tenure. And Shero answered, "Yes, I talked it over with Sid". I was kinda floored, especially at Sid's young age. But I guess I was thinking the GM was the GM and the player was the player. But no, he admitted he confers with Sid on some, (not saying all) player moves. Obviously Shero is not going to be affected the same way as coach, dealing with players on a day to day basis, but clearly Shero is not immune to having to run things by his superstar, on occasion.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
So, does it bear mentioning that this is Orpik playing much improved? I mean, he *did* settle the puck on his stick. And it *did* stay in the zone. I mean, what do you want from him? To do something with it after he's accomplished those two feats that he typically is incapable of?

Two out of 3 ain't bad. That is precious!!

Now if could just break a finger and be out for the rest of the year.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I have no idea. All I know is that up until this point nothing has changed. How long are we going to wait around for that to kick in? I've seen both Crosby and Malkin play better in the past as far as not making the mistakes they make routinely as opposed to point production. It happened under Therrien and the first season of Bylsma. Since then it's been downhill.

You can preach personal accountability all you want, but a coaches literal job is to get the players to play the way he wants them to. That's all I know. Right now Bylsma, for the past handful of seasons, has his players playing undisciplined and sloppy when it matters most. If that's not the way he wants them to play, then he's failing at performing his literal job. There's no other way around it.

I fault DB for his X's and O's decisions like matchups and line combos. I can't fault him as much for accountability because he is dealing with superstars and one very ornery big mouthed vet in Orpik. We need our best players to step up as leaders here sooner or later, and I'm hoping its this PO we'll see Crosby and Geno keep their cool and lead by example. And I also think Orpik leaving will allow Sid to truly take on the C's role. Mario didn't really start to mature and learn how to win until he was about Sid's age now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The teams discipline is less of a concern than it's inability to adjust and it's total failure/breakdown in systems.

Other than that Scuderi/Orpik in the top 4 is of major concern as we head to the playoffs.

The top 9 is capable but the 4th line is a total mess.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
The teams discipline is less of a concern than it's inability to adjust and it's total failure/breakdown in systems.

Other than that Scuderi/Orpik in the top 4 is of major concern as we head to the playoffs.

The top 9 is capable but the 4th line is a total mess.

The 4th lines job is play 7-8 minutes a game, half of which they will be taking shots to the shins on the PK, & not allow goals. They do that pretty well. The problem is when Bylsma tries matching them as if they're some kind of shut down line. They should never be on the ice after a commercial break.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The 4th lines job is play 7-8 minutes a game, half of which they will be taking shots to the shins on the PK, & not allow goals. They do that pretty well. The problem is when Bylsma tries matching them as if they're some kind of shut down line. They should never be on the ice after a commercial break.

Totally agree. DB's doesn't line match and thats also a serious knock on him. His 10-12 record at home since the Cup win should tell him maybe he should start doing it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I have a sneaking suspiscion Goc is at 4C b/c DB wants to justify his shutdown tandem in Gladams. I wish him daily kicks to the nuts if so.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Totally agree. DB's doesn't line match and thats also a serious knock on him. His 10-12 record at home since the Cup win should tell him maybe he should start doing it.

I have a horrible and increasingly sure feeling that he is line matching, he wants those match ups. He's just horrible at it because he thinks Gladams is anything but a terrifying liability.

They could have a better 4th line but then Bylsma wouldn't be able to have his hims there. So when it costs them games in the playoffs it's on Bylsma.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

What I saw, he collected the puck, and by the time he was ready for the shot the defender was getting too close to him and he didn't want to chance a breakaway. He then sent it down the boards, but it's not his fault that it was Pyatt out there who choose to break for the blueline rather than shift towards the boards. Hockey instincts Pyatt doesn't possess, apparently. Who knew?

Plus it looks like he was going for a line change.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I liked what I saw from both Stempniak and Goc. Goc should get a lot more minutes.

I agree. I recall one shift in the 1st period where Stemp, Crosby, and Kunitz had the Ducks pinned in their zone for what seemed like the entire of the Jurassic period. Stemp's skill is a good compliment there from what I saw.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
What I saw, he collected the puck, and by the time he was ready for the shot the defender was getting too close to him and he didn't want to chance a breakaway. He then sent it down the boards, but it's not his fault that it was Pyatt out there who choose to break for the blueline rather than shift towards the boards. Hockey instincts Pyatt doesn't possess, apparently. Who knew?

Plus it looks like he was going for a line change.

It looked like Pyatt saw him wind up, thought he was sending it around the boards, and went for a change.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

What's even funnier is that even with the worse 4th line in the league, a smart coach could easily shelter that deficiency with a couple of simple moves, even to the point of turning it into a weapon.

1. Dress 7 defensemen. This of course means you remove 1 forward from the lineup. Considering the fact that your bottom six consists mostly of turds, this is a good thing.

2. You replace that forward in essence by double shifting Sid & Geno, Goc/Sutter. You carefully time these by using TV timeouts.

Kunitz-Sid-Lee
Juice-Geno-Neal
Pyatt-Sutter-Beau
Goc-Sid/Geno/Sutter-Vitale

Not the greatest thing in the world, but suddenly it creates some versatility, and most importantly, makes things much harder for opponent coaches who obsessively match lines.

3. Just as important, by having 7 D out there, you can REDUCE the minutes of guys like Orpik & Scuds, who seem to get worse the more they play.

Just realized this thread will be closed soon. Maybe I'll just start a thread...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It looked like Pyatt saw him wind up, thought he was sending it around the boards, and went for a change.

Yes. Pyatt had his mind set there for the change. Orpik wasn't winding up for a shot around the boards. It was a little dump bank off the boards after Orpik lost the shooting lane and then just dumped it.

Orpik could have sent it back over to Engelland, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad