Post-Game Talk: Pens/Devils: A Penguins 7 day trip to a warm place in hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nowhere near as bad as some people want to make it.

And I would say a number of our issues are roster related.

I don’t understand how we are paying Maatta and Johnson 7.25 mil and they can’t even be a number 4.

I like this discussion. I personally do not think it's roster related. I think it's structure related. I'll make my argument and will respectfully debate this either way (I think both sides could be right).

1) Adjustments need to occur from a structural standpoint. I made some arguments in the OP.

2) We were never going to stay on top of the speed game. When you change the game, the next move in chess is to stay a step ahead by knowing how to beat what you created. To me, that's an x's and o's thing.

3) Special teams (PP): Change it up and move around. You will score some goals. We were 1 or 2 PPs away from tying the game up earlier and it is a different game. The (lack of) powerplay loses us momentum. Create some motion plays and it will have PKs second guessing themselves.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Beware. I don't consider making playoffs a success. Or losing to eventual winners.

Lol

I'll still stand by my word because I feel the same way. I think the Red Wings "Streak" is the most laughable thing. But anywhoooo I think we will be Cup contenders. May not be this year, but we will be.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
+ Stronger Than Hate patches being made available to the public and all proceeds going to the victims

+ Sens video of players dogging assistant coach.

-Home games

Make me wonder what some of the Pens players think of their assistant coaches.
Not sure how this team can play so well in Canada but drops duces at home.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like this discussion. I personally do not think it's roster related. I think it's structure related. I'll make my argument and will respectfully debate this either way (I think both sides could be right).

1) Adjustments need to occur from a structural standpoint. I made some arguments in the OP.

2) We were never going to stay on top of the speed game. When you change the game, the next move in chess is to stay a step ahead by knowing how to beat what you created. To me, that's an x's and o's thing.

3) Special teams (PP): Change it up and move around. You will score some goals. We were 1 or 2 PPs away from tying the game up earlier and it is a different game. The (lack of) powerplay loses us momentum. Create some motion plays and it will have PKs second guessing themselves.

Meh. This goes back to a depth issue for me. When you purposefully give out contracts to players like Johnson who you know CAN’T step up above their head and they disappoint providing depth, it is no wonder you don’t succeed.

I’ll point to Bonino. People said he was over paid for what he brought while here, but he had runs where he was dominate.

Hainsey or Daley on D. Good enough to be bottom four guys, but in a pinch they were sound enough to play above their heads for stretches.

Who in our bottom six / four at forward or D is stepping up like that?

Rust maybe. Everyone else? Nope.

And in regards to structure if you think the last couple games are indicative of Sullivan. I dunno, you can take the KIRK extremist route and say they have tuned Sullivan out. I’ll take the Crosby and Malkin play better when everyone plays better. They score in bunches. Our bottom six has been terrible for two years now. That is on Rutherford.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ZAR hatty the other day. Time to call him up?

I hope to hell not, but they might get desperate and bring up mashed potato feet. That should really propel them to new heights.

Seeing how Sheahan and Grant have the creativity of a microwave dinner, and Cullen still looks done, maybe they should bring up the creative pivot they have down there that does all the things the aforementioned do... but he can actually create offense and all.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Wrong... It is coaching, but bigtime roster as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, I may sound like a broken record, but it's same old problems from the last season, that weren't really addressed nor by JR nor by Sully.

I do think JR deserves a fair amount of criticism for how the team has done so far, his work in the 2018 off-season screamed complacency to me. You're bringing back a soon to be 42 year old Cullen, re-signing the gang and bringing in a guy who has had 1 good season in his career as your off-season forward moves? Seriously? That doesn't even touch on trading Sheary.

At least with signing Johnson, I get it in theory. But the moves they made at forward? Just screams complacency to me, from a team that isn't good enough to be complacent.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There are no positives to this game...I can’t give a + to Murray because he gave up the first goal and it’s clear right now that giving up the first goal is a death knell to this fragile team...

If we’re going to tank, I just want to do it with the same buy-in that we went after our Cups— Hughes or bust...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens, good stuff. Just want to add 3 things:

1. Because it is so hard to adapt, that's why hockey coaches, even ones that win cups, have short shelf lives. I've joked that maybe Sully just needed a 2nd cup before turning into Bylsma and becoming too arrogant to adapt. Maybe there was some truth to it. You cited that Caps as a team that finally adapted and was rewarded for it . . . they made that adjustment to tighten things up and counter late last year, and they made it because Trotz/Reirden finally adapted to the team they had. We'll see if Sully has it in him. I have my doubts . . .

2. As I said in the GDT, IF I'm Sully, the thing that scares the **** out of me would be Sid and Geno BOTH playing like they've tuned me out. It's only 2 games, sure, but I'm not sure I've seen them BOTH this ugly out there since right before Therrien was fired. I think it bears watching. As I said, I can't see Sully NOT being safe for the rest of the year. BUT, if one thing is going to change that equation, it's Sid and Geno simultaneously playing like this.

3. Ironically, the thing that saved Sully (i.e., things from spiraling out of control) last year was a line change. This team was schizo the first half of the year, and the thing that changed things wasn't an adjustment or the warts suddenly going away. It was HGH carrying this team for 2 months.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
so win the Cup or it was a failure of a season?

The hell do they play the game for?

Lol.

I'm being mad, yo. And hyperbolic.

But I will say, a team with talent that does not do well, is super shitty to follow. I can enjoy the process of young teams struggling but getting better over the course of a few years. This team shouldn't need marinating.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The only positive I can come up with is that the Johnson-Letang pair was encouraging, and I think the defense falls into place way better with Dumoulin and Letang on different pairs. Letang and Dumoulin are both good enough to carry their own pairs and Maatta should be good enough to carry the bottom pair, so I think splitting Dumoulin and Letang may help the defense a lot.

The top two pairs looked pretty good. Dumo and Riikola I was really pleased with and they were getting the puck out quickly and with efficiency.

Then Sully started switching the pairs all around... maybe because the Maatta Oleksiak pairing was a train wreck... who knows.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh. This goes back to a depth issue for me. When you purposefully give out contracts to players like Johnson who you know CAN’T step up above their head and they disappoint providing depth, it is no wonder you don’t succeed.

I’ll point to Bonino. People said he was over paid for what he brought while here, but he had runs where he was dominate.

Hainsey or Daley on D. Good enough to be bottom four guys, but in a pinch they were sound enough to play above their heads for stretches.

And in regards to structure if you think the last couple games are indicative of Sullivan. I dunno, you can take the KIRK extremist route and say they have tuned Sullivan out. I’ll take the Crosby and Malkin play better when everyone plays better. They score in bunches. Our bottom six has been terrible for two years now. That is on Rutherford.

I'm going to guess the answer is somewhat in the middle of our discussion.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Nobody is right now.

I think at F it would say Rust can (though with his new paycheck that's not really over his head anymore), Simon is showing some flashes, hopefully Sprong, Sheahan had a strong stretch last year. I'd like to see Bleuger get the chance.

On D I think Schultz is a guy that can do it, but he's out. Maatta has certainly played very well at times before too. I'm still hoping Riikola can step up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I do think JR deserves a fair amount of criticism for how the team has done so far, his work in the 2018 off-season screamed complacency to me. You're bringing back a soon to be 42 year old Cullen, re-signing the gang and bringing in a guy who has had 1 good season in his career as your off-season forward moves? Seriously? That doesn't even touch on trading Sheary.

At least with signing Johnson, I get it in theory. But the moves they made at forward? Just screams complacency to me, from a team that isn't good enough to be complacent.

That's a fair point. JR is hardly blame free.

What this team really needs is some young legs and energy, but after the 2nd cup, this GM and coach (like the GM and coach after the cup in 2009) went into 'everyone who helped us win the cup is irreplaceable (unless the coach hates him) and we love vets and hate any new youth' mode.

@Mr Jiggyfly has really been hammering this point. It's not just that you signed Cullen for 'leadership'. It's that you had the type of players who could help you play Sully's system and you wanted nothing to do with them because they were young and inexperienced.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The top two pairs looked pretty good. Dumo and Riikola I was really pleased with and they were getting the puck out quickly and with efficiency.

Then Sully started switching the pairs all around... maybe because the Maatta Oleksiak pairing was a train wreck... who knows.

I think that has to do with Maatta being bad, but I could be off :dunno:

The defense looks great on paper with Maatta out and Schultz back in, if Johnson-Letang defies the odds and ends up a good pair. You have Dumoulin-Schultz as a strong 2nd pair and I think Riikola-Oleksiak is a solid 3rd pair with great potential too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Is it me, or does Sully almost always manage to mangle things worse when he finally decides to fix a line or a pairing? :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The defense sucks. Too many passengers at forward and it’s ruining the goaltending confidence to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad