Post-Game Talk: Pens decide to walk through a Hurricane holding on to knives and grenades

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Marleau, Rodrigues, Zucker and Sheary have been our best forwards during this streak outside of Malkin offensively.

This is on Sid tbh. And Sullivan. He is coaching the roster around Sid. Not coaching a team and the fact he doesn’t get it is infuriating.

As I said in the last game, Sid's legacy is A+ with me.

But this season knocks him down in my mind a little. He wrecked this team and he's supposed to be the leader.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Watching this team when they're in a rut and overthinking everything is pretty hard work. Only positive is the more do or die the situation, the more pressure on them to bounce back and get it right, usually the better it goes.

Little unlucky too. Rodrigues shot off the post goes in and its a different game.

As I said in the last game, Sid's legacy is A+ with me.

But this season knocks him down in my mind a little. He wrecked this team and he's supposed to be the leader.

Wait what now?

Reactions: Doogle and ncm7772

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Team doesn’t care yet I do. Sad

they care...they’re frustrated...they have no answers or confidence ...they may be hockey dumb, mistaken prone or trying too hard...but people on here who say they don’t care or are lazy just don’t get it....they care and they’re trying to work

Reactions: ncm7772

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This team is just terrible right now.

Their are a million things wrong with this team, it's not like it's just one or two issues.

But if I had to put the blame on one person it would be Sid

When he was out the team played hard and they played a structured game, Sid comes back into the lineup and isn't playing a 200 foot game, the team has now seemed to follow Sid's lead.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Marleau, Rodrigues, Zucker and Sheary have been our best forwards during this streak outside of Malkin offensively.

This is on Sid tbh. And Sullivan. He is coaching the roster around Sid. Not coaching a team and the fact he doesn’t get it is infuriating.

You took a lot of **** for this when you said it 8 weeks ago. And, I actually disagreed.

Truth be told, it's not Sid per se. It's an organizational thing. It's why I keep ******* to build around Sid and Geno and not worry about the pedigree of the 4th line or 3rd pairing.

I saw what was possible with Jake-Geno-Rust and imagined what could happen if we had 2 lines like that. How they could build on what happened with Sid out.

Instead, Sid returned, Zucker semi-replaced Jake but that was all JR did . . . we went from Geno attacking and dictating to both Sid and Geno playing on their heels.

But, that's not on Sid.

Frankly, it's an organizational question at this point, and it's pretty clear that JR's answer isn't to stack the top 6 and trust Sid and Geno to carry things in the same way that say Washington does.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
It’s a demoralized group. You got guys on the 3rd, 4th lines hanging on Sid and Geno’s coattails. Sid is playing bad. He isn’t the same player. Malkin has been great this season but yikes he’s playing with a 40 year old and Jack Johnson. My God, did you see all the extended shifts for him due to defenseman icings? And 71 is all in his head now. He’s back to 2018 in terms of who he’s playing with. I see effort but he’s on an island and the d pair is sinking him. He played an awful 1st though.

The only solution to this clusterf*** is stack Malkin’s line. He was dominating. Now he is not. Telling him to TRy harDer isn’t working.

Put Tanev with Crosby and Hornqvist. Zucker and Rust on line 1 with Malkin. Go back to what worked for three months.

Sullivan is watching the Titanic sink and is a bystander.
WTFF is he supposed to do?? make Sid play like Sid? Make Letang not be a braindead moron ?Make Geno not do dumb shit

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Shaping up just like last spring. Struggle into the playoffs, get bounced in 4-5 games.

We were marveling at the "backs against the wall" heroics 2-5 months ago. It was miraculous at times, and these guys were playing like heroes. But now they're back at full strength, tired, and the weaknesses are there for all to see. As Philly, Carolina, Washington, etc are cranking up the intensity, we don't have any reserves left to tap.

If this team is unable to play up to its talent level without half the roster on IR, then it needs a serious transplant of leadership and coaching. I'm starting to wondering if the bulk of this season hasn't been a masterclass in "play the right way" coaching by Sully, having the team punch above its weight, but just the last gasp of this coaching tenure before a rot sets in.

If they haven't already had a "players only" meeting, right about now would be the time.

oh, and SERIOUS structural changes in the offseason. Jettison everyone besides a core/young player that isn't nailed down.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
- Sullivan for not being creative with the lines at all for once when he really needed to
- Crosby for not showing much of a pulse and for again not really driving his line to much success at ES
- Malkin for forsaking all details to start the game
-Schultz/JJ pairing for being 2015 must-abort-at-all-costs Scuderi level BS
-Jarry for giving the team yet another sub 900 save%
-McCann, Bjugstad, Tanev, Blueger for once again providing zero depth scoring

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
tumblr_oeztmoZYWw1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah, Jarry even worse than Murray yesterday. But this team, wow. I dont think that saying its season over is an overstatement at this point. This team is done. Hopefully Murray is the goalie rest of the way. Because its impossible to be a good goalie behind this team so it will inevitably hurt Murrays next contract even more. And it probably wont be his fault. This team is just embarrassingly bad. Deadline acquisitions are not a problem, they are one of the less bad players out there tbh.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It is weirdly getting to that point where their effort is not worth my investment in time. That rarely rarely rarely has ever been a thing. But time is valuable. And boy...if this is the weekend effort? I'll spend weekends elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm another one who took the third off to go walk the dog. Not sorry about it, either.

Reactions: ColePens

somanycats

Mar 3, 2020
I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they miss playoffs, but it would be better than watching another agonizing 4-game playoff run. They look the same as they did a year ago, when they got swept by the team that got swept by the team that got swept by the team that lost the SCF.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Wait what now?

He came back, team got worse. He's a lead by example guy and he NEVER showed any commitment to defense - this entire year. Team has a weird savior complex with him and caused them to ease up and defer too much.

This season has not been at all a good one for Crosby.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
This team is horrible and destined to lose in embarrassing fashion to the Flyers.

Everyone today was shit.

The 2017 crew is gonna bring their pitchforks out for TJ today, who wasn't good. But they'll totally not mention that it was a 1 goal game for 50 min and not 16 in like yesterday. I'm sure MM will beat the Devs next game and everyone will declare him fixed like they did after OTT and BUF. TjJ it the better goalie and Sully needs to play him.

Matt Murray is not the problem. Tristan Jarry is not the problem. Neither goalie is the problem because neither goalie is getting much help right now

Reactions: Big JD and Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You took a lot of **** for this when you said it 8 weeks ago. And, I actually disagreed.

Truth be told, it's not Sid per se. It's an organizational thing. It's why I keep ******* to build around Sid and Geno and not worry about the pedigree of the 4th line or 3rd pairing.

I saw what was possible with Jake-Geno-Rust and imagined what could happen if we had 2 lines like that. How they could build on what happened with Sid out.

Instead, Sid returned, Zucker semi-replaced Jake but that was all JR did . . . we went from Geno attacking and dictating to both Sid and Geno playing on their heels.

But, that's not on Sid.

Frankly, it's an organizational question at this point, and it's pretty clear that JR's answer isn't to stack the top 6 and trust Sid and Geno to carry things in the same way that say Washington does.

Sorry. Sid has been awful for awhile now.

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Sheary - Sid - Hornqvist
Marleau - McCann - Tanev
Rodrigues - Bleuger - Bjugstad

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You COULD do that, if we weren't desperate to give money to the likes of Pettersson, Schultz, Johnson, whatever goalie we give money to. And even Tanev who is rapidly turning into a pumpkin.

The goaltending choice will help.

Schultz walking will help.

BUT, what they've allocated to Pets and JJ for next year is brutal.

Look, JR isn't going to build around Sid and Geno. Because even with Jake back next season, he still needs to add 1 guy to the top 6.

I mean, Jake back will make it better. Very close even. But, even with Jake back and Zucker and Rust in the top 6, either Sid or Geno will get short shrift.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
What more can be done besides a coaching change. It's not all on Sully but he is to blame for:

-not making adjustments to an awful powerplay
-not adjusting his system to a more defense-oriented one as the slide continues
-not icing the best line-up available with good players sitting out while garbage like Johnson/Schultz get icetime
-not rewarding Jarry when he was saving this team, often by himself - rewarding Murray instead

The players have been bad but you can't trade away the team. You can fire Sully though.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
They need to clean it up, and quick. Almost all of March is against Metro teams, every point is important. I'm sure they put cruise control on thinking the playoffs were a lock, but they need to stop assuming they're a given.

Once again the PP just sinks them. It has been awful since the down slide began. Since 2/20 (Last 10 games, but I don't think it includes today) the PP is clicking at 12.9%. Good enough for 25th in the league. That makes or breaks teams in the playoffs, and it certainly isn't helping right now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Matt Murray is not the problem. Tristan Jarry is not the problem. Neither goalie is the problem because neither goalie is getting much help right now
100% and anyone that plays that angle are f***ing dipshits. I can't stand this f***ing place anymore with garbage people that try to blame Murray or Jarry for losses like this.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
We got all the way to first place, and then pulled the plug.

It's like they were climbing a rock wall and took all their energy to get to the top, now they are just riding the cable all the way down.

Reactions: Clare2904
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad