Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah.

But, I get the sentiment. Maybe your top defensive forward and best two defensemen, keep stuff to the perimeter, survive the shift, and then send out your top guns when Agnew sends Scuderi out there.

EDIT: I just got a visual of Scuderi getting danced by Seguin tonight.

Oh I wasnt insinuating that we would actually send that line out in a real game ot.... it will be Scuds Crosby Kunitz followed by Letang, Malkin and the "defensive forward du jour" or some other nonsense... we wont ever actually play all out to win it either

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Am I the only one worried that how bad the Pens were offensively for the last half of last year (their GPG would have been 4th worst and their PP worst) will be how they are offensively this year?

If Johnston can't get this roster to score at a better clip than that pathetic offense down the stretch last season, then he should be canned instantly.

This team should not have trouble scoring. Period. If this team struggles it should be because of the less than stellar defense corps, not because it can't score enough.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Johnston can't get this roster to score at a better clip than that pathetic offense down the stretch last season, then he should be canned instantly.

This team should not have trouble scoring. Period. If this team struggles it should be because of the less than stellar defense corps, not because it can't score enough.

You're right, they should not have trouble scoring. Just like last year, they should not have had trouble scoring and they shouldn't have had the worst PP in the NHL for the 2nd half of the season. That's why I'm concerned. It's a tactical issue more than a player issue IMO. This is probably the best offensive roster the Pens have had in the Crosby era, I'm just not sold on MJ being the guy that will get the most out of that group.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Am I the only one worried that how bad the Pens were offensively for the last half of last year (their GPG would have been 4th worst and their PP worst) will be how they are offensively this year?

Nope, you are not alone.

Johnston's offense was heavily dependent on the breakout and transition from the defense working well. Injuries and scouting destroyed a lot of the effectiveness forcing forwards or defenders to move the puck 200 ft alone to get into the offensive end. Obviously Letang & Maatta are healthy. But I am not sure if Johnston has made the necessary adjustments to make this work in the NHL.

I have zero confidence in the coaching staff being able to make the PP work (and not because of Crosby or coachability either).

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Do we even know that Porter will be in the lineup?

Seeing as how Porter was on the ice in WB/S Training Camp yesterday, I doubt it. Maatta and Sundqvist never left their respective teams (the WB/S reporter tweeted that Sundqvist skated after normal practice out there for "procedural reasons").

Unless they decided to send a charter plane solely to pick up Porter so he could make it there in time for the game, I doubt he could even make it to the arena in time for puck drop. They'll likely just dress Farnham tonight, and have Porter available for the game in Arizona (whether they'll dress him for that game, I have no clue... I hadn't thought him worthy of making the team based on his pre-season work).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
She want to Dance Like Uma Thurman.... didnt you know?

Hmmmm...yes, yes...how can we translate that to hockey? Perhaps the "I can move mountains, I can work a miracle, work a miracle, OH OH!" part can be toss in with a random goal montage?

It's probably just me but I don't think the Pens offense will be as good as advertised. Not right now anyways.

I don't think it's gonna be run away 1-2 GPG higher than the rest of the league. What I want is a respectable and consistent production from the bottom 6. That is what killed us so bad last year. You have 2 top 6 lines, and...two lines that basically gave Sid and Geno a rest. Given lines of:

Perron-Bonino-Bennett
WBS-Cullen-Sprong

I want production out of those guys and we should be getting it. Not looking for 1 GPG or anything but certainly more than WTF ever that was last year (and in several previous years). THAT is what will help us win games. No longer is the strategy "Shut down Sid and Malkin, win game". They have 4 lines to play against now (3 potent ones, 1 4th line that can still be a threat). That is what I am focusing on more than anything. I'm sure that Sid and Phil will have great playing time together and pot an large amount of points, that's a given, but I'm more excited to see real "depth".

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Offensively I think the biggest problem is that Johnston's offense is not able to function if the defenders aren't productive and effective. Most of Johnston's offense from transitioning the puck out of the neutral zone to looking for point shots and "activated" defensemen is based on effective defenders.

Defense is the weakest area of the Pens right now.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
The good news is, this could legitimately be our defense by mid season:

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Clendening
Pouliot-Dumo

It could? I mean, I agree it could -- IF we had a different coaching staff and, presumably, front office. But otherwise, why might this "legitimately" be a possibility?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Just not when Porter's the guy they're calling up. Porter wasn't even close to the best "late 20s journeyman that didn't make the team" who showed up to camp, let alone the best player to be cut.

I think it's more a case of Porter being a guy they aren't concerned about losing on waivers when Dupuis comes back in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad