Post-Game Talk: Pens cook the Kraken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Kasperi Kapanen is a freakin doofus. Always has been always will be. So glad this loser got deported to St Louis.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Kasperi Kapanen is a freakin doofus. Always has been always will be. So glad this loser got deported to St Louis.
I'm.sure the guys living a more comfortable life than some guy calling him a loser in a message board : )

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Malkin's acceleration is completely gone other that he's been really good at ES. PP is the only thing he's been bad and deserve criticism

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Malkin's acceleration is completely gone other that he's been really good at ES. PP is the only thing he's been bad and deserve criticism
I certainly wouldn't single out Geno alone on the Powerplay that's for sure

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Just seeing Malkin playing the left point on the PP makes me tear my hair out. Might as well give him a breather and put someone else on the first unit because he is not a threat from there like at all and every penalty killer knows it.

He is not much of a threat on the right side, mind you, not least because the unit often plays like they see each other for the first time but still you gotta maximise your chances and we are certainly not doing that. Having actual net front presence only occasionally is another galaxy brain move.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My concern of Malkin is out of love, and not some backhanded "see he sucks" and "we should have never resigned him" type of thing. I have more than one 71 jersey :D.

He had a point last night and has 4G and 9P in the last 10 games while being a +2.

He's lost a step. It's clear. But outside of a dip that happens to align with when Rakell/Rust were hurt, he's been doing great.
Malkin is getting his points.

That's the thing, he was flying in the early part of the season, which was insane. So it isn't about age. Just wondering if something else is going on with him.

I know Reilly Smith suddenly started showing hands of stone. So yeah...that is a factor, but he seems less motivated out there. Maybe he's tired?

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Geno on pace for 30 goals and 70 pts at 37.

“I wonder why Geno stinks” - Pens fans.
Lol.....let's not exaggerate what I actually said ;). His passing/playmaking and seeing what's developing is still elite.

Yes....this is something very recent. Last 10-20 games or so. Wondering if he has some minor injury that's dogging him. He has also stopped shooting recently.

PP is not just him...the whole PP is weird, as if they can't figure out roles anymore.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I know it's a bit sacrelig.... but converting Geno to a floating sniper wing might be the best thing they could (have) do/done.

His faceoffs have improved and he still obviously has vision and good hands - but carrying the mail is obviously holding him back.

We don't have a C that could do it - but man if we did. Then again, we're already basically a 1-line team so why not just stack it with Sid/Geno out there? Idk. Nice seeing Sid still dominate his peers but Geno has been brutal lately and I've answered umpteen texts from my casual peers who text me about his game wondering where it went. At 6M his production is still a steal so gtfo with any blame his way -> at least any blame outside of his usage.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know it's a bit sacrelig.... but converting Geno to a floating sniper wing might be the best thing they could (have) do/done.

His faceoffs have improved and he still obviously has vision and good hands - but carrying the mail is obviously holding him back.

We don't have a C that could do it - but man if we did. Then again, we're already basically a 1-line team so why not just stack it with Sid/Geno out there? Idk. Nice seeing Sid still dominate his peers but Geno has been brutal lately and I've answered umpteen texts from my casual peers who text me about his game wondering where it went. At 6M his production is still a steal so gtfo with any blame his way -> at least any blame outside of his usage.
I suggested previously if the Pens really were all- in this season they would try to trade for Elias Lindholm…

When you have 3 future HoF who are still playing extremely well at 5-on-5, but suck on the PP, it's a coaching issue.
Sullivan has already admitted the coaching staff doesn’t coach the PP and just last night he told reporters basically that doesn’t coach Sid at all…he said the staff are hands off with him because he has a better eye for the game than they have lol

• Wow
Reactions: pistolpete11

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I suggested previously if the Pens really were all- in this season they would try to trade for Elias Lindholm…

In fairness there aren't really any powerhouse teams in the East. It's all question marks all the way through.

We can certainly speculate about our chances with Boston, Florida, Carolina, Tampa - but I don't think any matchup is particularly crazy.

If we were out West this year it might be a bit of a different story. That being said I like what someone on here said the other day - that I'm (they were) just not sure about Jarry, special teams, and depth scoring over four straight 7 game series. For that reason something absolutely needs to happen because that should not be a surprise to anyone. The team as constructed can clearly squeak into the playoffs but is clearly depending on a LOT of things to go right (versus one or two like health and goaltending)....we need to chip away at the teams' problems versus just ignoring them. I have a huge problem with waiting to the deadline to do it because you cannot speculate how one move may impact another. Meaning: make a trade for offensive help now, see how the team looks leading into the deadline and address what you can then. Simply making your 1-2 (maybe zero, unfortunately) moves on deadline day leaves you NO room to fix the team going forward...when this team has quite obviously had several things needing addressing.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sullivan has already admitted the coaching staff doesn’t coach the PP and just last night he told reporters basically that doesn’t coach Sid at all…he said the staff are hands off with him because he has a better eye for the game than they have lol
That's fine....if it was working.

It's not. Time for coaching to step in.

Reactions: Al Smith and Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My only frustration with Geno is he's been absolutely horrible on the powerplay this year but so has every other player on that unit.

But from a purely eye test perspective when I watch the PP I feel like Malkin has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to f***ing shit up. Him and EK have made an absolute mess of things on the point on the PP.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My only frustration with Geno is he's been absolutely horrible on the powerplay this year but so has every other player on that unit.

But from a purely eye test perspective when I watch the PP I feel like Malkin has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to f***ing shit up. Him and EK have made an absolute mess of things on the point on the PP.

Been so horrible he is leading the PP in points

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
The biggest problem on the PP is the entire PP. It's an absolute cluster-#)($% most of time from entry until 2:00 timer ends...

BTW... if this team commits to Defense, we have a much better shot at beating teams. Yesterday, the entire team played pretty well on D.

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
Hard to say we're better than a team that is 2-1 against the Pens this season.

I was going to reply to this but the first paragraph has shown me absolute zero understanding of that situation and the current situation.

This would be pointless to even try.

Hard to say we're better than a team that is 2-1 against the Pens this season.

I was going to reply to this but the first paragraph has shown me absolute zero understanding of that situation and the current situation.

This would be pointless to even try.
The only one who doesn't grasp the situation is you. Seattle rolls four lines because they have productive players on all lines.

You can't give the 3rd line o zone face offs when the failed to score a point for what 12 games? The third line is playing better and getting more ice time.

Smith WAS relegated before the injury despite your revisionist history. And yes it was grudgingly no one wants a 5,000,000 third liner who has a history of being much better. I dont see you saying much about Rakell's previous usage now that he is scoring again.

I said before the coaching staff needed to be shot into the Sun but, it's not going to happen. So I will take the small victories. That being said I am at the point now I'm putting the PP on the players not the coaches. If you can't even gain the zone, that's not a coaching problem that's an execution problem and that's on them. They second PP usually doesn't have an issue getting into the zone.

Don't bother replying because I won't read any more of your gibberish.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I wouldn't look at leading our PP in points as a good thing. Advertising that you are one of the 3 people who touched the puck most on that failure is...like, leave that aside. Not the endorsement you want.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad