Rumor: Pens considering 91-92 style jersey for next season

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Is it just me or are the white 90's Lemieux era Cup jerseys hard as hell to find??

Obviously we know our '92 black and yellow Cup jerseys are easy as pie to find as CCM 550 replicas, but why are the white ones so ignored? Are the white ones even made anymore??? Or are or were they ever made as CCM 550 replicas to begin with???

There is a local pens store near Pittsburgh that I have seen them at. That is the only place I have ever seen them outside of at the arena on people who clearly bought them back in the day

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
This is the jersey I'm talking about, just before the Crosby era began. I liked it more than the current.

Which one are you saying looks too much like the Islanders, and also which Islanders uni?
:help:

I was referring to the concepts icethetics posted, not the previous Pens uniforms. And the black pre-edge design is my favorite.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
500px-Flag_of_Pittsburgh%2C_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Our colors. The very fact Boston threw a hissy-fit over that makes me want to use them even more.

Anyway, similar color schemes is hardly unheard of. Toronto/Tampa Bay, Edmonton/Islanders, Montreal/Washington, Chicago/New Jersey/Ottawa, Rangers/Columbus...and that's just in this league.

I actually liked the vegas gold for a while and didn't mind the shift...but it doesn't work with the new materials, it looks beige on RBK's uniforms instead of the shiny gold it was supposed to be when the color was introduced. I don't see the team shifting color schemes any time soon, but that's my view of it. If the Penguins go straight-up retro next year then I wouldn't be surprised to see the exact design promoted to primary in a couple years with the vegas gold taking over for the regular gold...if the Penguins go with an updated rendition with the vegas gold coloration then that's our next set of jerseys within 2 years without a doubt.

Either way, this fits into the time frame that I've been puking out for the better part of a decade - three alternate life-cycles before the primaries change, milk the vintage stuff as long as they can before they can relent and go with the one that everyone wants.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
500px-Flag_of_Pittsburgh%2C_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Our colors. The very fact Boston threw a hissy-fit over that makes me want to use them even more.

Anyway, similar color schemes is hardly unheard of. Toronto/Tampa Bay, Edmonton/Islanders, Montreal/Washington, Chicago/New Jersey/Ottawa, Rangers/Columbus...and that's just in this league.

I actually liked the vegas gold for a while and didn't mind the shift...but it doesn't work with the new materials, it looks beige on RBK's uniforms instead of the shiny gold it was supposed to be when the color was introduced. I don't see the team shifting color schemes any time soon, but that's my view of it. If the Penguins go straight-up retro next year then I wouldn't be surprised to see the exact design promoted to primary in a couple years with the vegas gold taking over for the regular gold...if the Penguins go with an updated rendition with the vegas gold coloration then that's our next set of jerseys within 2 years without a doubt.

Either way, this fits into the time frame that I've been puking out for the better part of a decade - three alternate life-cycles before the primaries change, milk the vintage stuff as long as they can before they can relent and go with the one that everyone wants.

With the lame blue jerseys, it was more of a marketing thing and the whole out door games crap tie in, but with these, it's a nod to the history of the team, the colors they wore for a long time, etc. I think if it truly becomes popular and the sales are through the roof and record setting for their revenue, etc, the team might adopt them as the home jerseys and slowly, the whole kit.

Remember when the Isles and Oilers went with the retro jerseys as a 3rd? Remember how it slowly just became their current jerseys? Same with the Canucks and Capitals.

It'll happen.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Oh I know it'll happen, but I'm saying the Penguins did the financially wise thing to do...they strung the fans along riding their extensive back-catalog of jerseys (thankfully they basically combined the 67 and 70s jerseys into one...it was a dud of a jersey, but it did shorten the process by at least one jersey) before inevitably landing on what the team wore in the 80s/early 90s. From a marketing standpoint it was a great idea...which is why I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they go the faithful recreation as an alternate to lead into the re-colored home/road set. That's two jerseys that are effectively the same to sell to the audience, and they'd both sell in spades.

And no, I don't expect robo-penguin to make a return for as long as Lemieux has any stake with the team. He's probably the only person in the world who hates that thing more than I do.

If they do go ahead with this then I'll put a pre-order in for at least one jersey as soon as I can. It's almost embarrassing that I don't have a Malkin jersey yet, but I don't care for the current set enough to own two of them and I just didn't want to buy the last alternate...I would have bought one of the powder blues with Geno's name on it if not for me being a poor college student at the time (who already owned one of the CCM Vintage lines of that same essential jersey to begin with). I really want to get a Maatta one, too...

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Anything that de-emphasizes Vegas Gold or isn't 90's Penguin/pigeon logo is good in my book. **** do I hate that logo. It actually lessens my enjoyment of highlights from that era. That is how much I dislike it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
as far as home-road sets are concerned, I'd say the Ducks' are uglier, and the Canes' and Sharks' are more boring

The Penguins made no effort in the design. They just accepted what Reebok gave them. A few other teams did too, but they've all changed designs since then. Even if you happen to like them you should still want them changed just on that principal.

I don't like throwback jerseys because it seems overdone and 1992 isn't exactly ancient history. Everyone's afraid of trying something new so it's throwback this and throwback that. I think that taking some of the aspects of older jerseys and incorporating it into an updated design is fine, though.

And I don't really care if it's yellow or Vegas gold. I'm fine with either. We still have the best logo in the league.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm hoping that the dismisal of the last third jersey shakes off what has started off this decade of bad luck, the first one was flirting with disaster and the second one pushed it full force. No more throw backs of the logo.

I would like the thirds had they kept the logo and had they not used so many stripes, but now that the dark blues have had the worst thing happen to our stars we should have a mas burning of them. The fountain at the point is empty this time of year, luckily I don't own one, but I'll gladly supply the lighter fluid.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I actually like the current jerseys, there have been worse ones in the past (I know I'm in the minority here, but they're not that bad).

I like that the Pens were trying to establish the non-Lemieux era by changing everything. However, I still wonder why they didn't bring out the 91-92 jerseys in '11-12. Would've been perfect.

I won't complain though, bring 'em on.

**side note: this won't dispel the the notion that we all became fans at the Crosby draft, will it? :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Our current jerseys are by far the worst in the league.

I don't think they're that bad. Uninspired maybe but not ugly / hard to look at.

Panthers Home
thumb.aspx

Isles' 3rd
thumb.aspx

Ducks' 3rd
thumb.aspx

Ottawa's 3rd is pretty awful too.

And as long as Calgary insists on putting a Squid on their jersey, it's worse than ours.

thumb.aspx

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I actually like the current jerseys, there have been worse ones in the past (I know I'm in the minority here, but they're not that bad).

I like that the Pens were trying to establish the non-Lemieux era by changing everything. However, I still wonder why they didn't bring out the 91-92 jerseys in '11-12. Would've been perfect.

I won't complain though, bring 'em on.

**side note: this won't dispel the the notion that we all became fans at the Crosby draft, will it? :laugh:

You answered your own question. Mario wanted this team to have it's own identity without any references to the 91-92 teams. Another reason he was so reluctant to allow a statue of himself outside CEC. Given that Mario finally bent on that, maybe he softening his stance and realizing that early 90's alternates would be great for marketing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Those are mostly alts, though, CV.

The Penguins full-time jerseys are about as inspiring and appealing as a bucket of wallpaper paste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad