Pre-Game Talk: Pens coming to town..... Pens in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I seem to be saying this a lot. Plotnikov should be playing EVERY game. Porter should never be playing over Plot. I want to see Plotnikov get 10+ minutes a game for 15 to 20 games in a row. PK time and some spot duty with Sid and Perron. But they won't do that. Sid hasn't had two wingers who can grind the corners and pass to him in a long time and i want to see if Plot can finish when he gets consistently the puck with a scoring chance.

The worst thing about Porter isn't that he sucks. He doesn't... really. He's just as bland and safe as players come. He makes Spaling look like a riverboat gambler. That's a temptation for coaches.

No... it's that he's not exactly a young player with any untapped potential. What you see is what you get. Porter has bounced around the league for a few years, now and... this is the player he is. Say what you want about Plotnikov, Rust, Wilson, Sheary, Sundqvist, Kuhn... whoever. It isn't a group that inspires confidence in this team's drafting and development... BUT... at least most of those guys might have something to offer that isn't simply "He's easy to coach."

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
No. It's a one year deal. I would be completely shocked if he showed any interest in coming back.

I also wouldn't be surprised if another team takes a shot on him and we're talking about him next year like we're talking about Farnham, now. I still think there is a decent depth NHLer in there but this team has done a very poor job of teasing it out.

He's an RFA. We own his rights for next season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I think he's a RFA next season. So unless they don't re-sign him he's still theirs and iirc he won't be put on waivers going to the AHL, he just has an out for the KHL in that case.

He's an RFA. We own his rights for next season.

Ah. I see. Thank you much.

I feel bad for the guy. He paid to get out of his KHL deal for... this. I realize there is every bit as good a chance as he just can't hack it in NA. But... I dunno. He seems a bit better than that. Tough to tell with how little he's used. Even when he's NOT a HS.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The worst thing about Porter isn't that he sucks. He doesn't... really. He's just as bland and safe as players come. He makes Spaling look like a riverboat gambler. That's a temptation for coaches.

No... it's that he's not exactly a young player with any untapped potential. What you see is what you get. Porter has bounced around the league for a few years, now and... this is the player he is. Say what you want about Plotnikov, Rust, Wilson, Sheary, Sundqvist, Kuhn... whoever. It isn't a group that inspires confidence in this team's drafting and development... BUT... at least most of those guys might have something to offer that isn't simply "He's easy to coach."

This team's philosophy towards non-star players has directly contributed to its bland, underachieving identity. Dependable mediocrity over potential with a few bumps along the road.

Icing Kevin Porters every game isn't playing to win. It's playing not to lose.

And so we have a roster filled with relatively soft, medium-sized, average speed, unskilled players who play safe games. Yay?

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ah. I see. Thank you much.

I feel bad for the guy. He paid to get out of his KHL deal for... this. I realize there is every bit as good a chance as he just can't hack it in NA. But... I dunno. He seems a bit better than that. Tough to tell with how little he's used. Even when he's NOT a HS.

And $101,7500 USD minus taxes pretty much guaranteed for at least this season.

Anyway, this is probably some Penguins magic where they completely **** a situation up. He's not an offensive treasure, but this team struggles to score and they've done their usual jerking around of inexperienced players. He's a good possession player with size and a physical game who is defensively reliable.

And, hilariously enough.

Plotnikov, 32GP, TOI:310, 0G, 2A, -3
Porter, 19GP, TOI:235, 0G, 2A, -3

Plotnikov has the better advanced stats.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Man fleury for some reason gets no respect around the NHL. still has that "wait till playoffs" thing on his back, even tho hes been solid past 2 playoffs. And has been a top 3 goalie this year. I dont get it.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
How much do you think hed get? Anything past 1.5 million?

I'm pretty sure he will head back to Russia. He was successful over there and is a borderline 4th liner in the eyes of our beloved management. I doubt they even would be interested to bring him back. After all he has just two assists.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sullivan is pleased with the current makeup of his lines.

"For the most part they've been solid, they've been playing the game the right way," Sullivan said. "They've been a threat and they're generating scoring chances, so all we can do I guess is try to focus on the process and coach the process. And if we're getting scoring chances and we're playing the right way, sooner or later I think the puck is going to fall in for some of these guys that are playing in the top six, so our hope is that we can continue to stay resilient and keep trying to play the right way and the percentages should be in our favor."

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020616&navid=nhl:topheads

piercestruggleface.0_standard_352.0.gif

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Hey, Porter's only 29. We can eek out another 8 or 9 years out of him.

Unlike his predecessor - Porter does move on the PK instead of standing in one place and waving his stick. But yes, after a series of 7 one and two-year contracts, he will still be out there and be more ineffective than he is now.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

I might reconsider and join your thoughts of a long term injury...

I don't get what they see in Kunitz - Crosby - Perron

David Perron actually assisted (primary ones) on 3 of 4 even strenght goals from Sid. Why Sid while absolutely on fire only has 4 goals is another question though. I will cast a veil over Perron's goal totals though, because it doesn't fit my agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad