Confirmed with Link: Pens Claim Condon Off Waivers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, Montreal doesn't have waiver priority to re-claim Condon and he'd have to clear waivers to be able to go down to the AHL. Montreal can't just re-claim him and send him to the AHL.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Again, Montreal doesn't have waiver priority to re-claim Condon and he'd have to clear waivers to be able to go down to the AHL. Montreal can't just re-claim him and send him to the AHL.

IF Montreal is the only team to claim him after Pittsburgh waives him, then yes, he can go straight to the AHL. But, as I understand it, you are correct that Montreal doesn't get first dibs.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
IF Montreal is the only team to claim him after Pittsburgh waives him, then yes, he can go straight to the AHL. But, as I understand it, you are correct that Montreal doesn't get first dibs.

One can assume that there won't be too many dibs since he passed 25 other teams to get to Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah this is right, I just read that in an article explaining waivers. I realized I was wrong with that when I thought of Boychuk from 2013, he went from being waived by Carolina, being claimed by us, being waived by us, being claimed by Nashville, being waived by Nashville and getting claimed by Carolina, where he was immediately sent to the AHL.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah this is right, I just read that in an article explaining waivers. I realized I was wrong with that when I thought of Boychuk from 2013, he went from being waived by Carolina, being claimed by us, being waived by us, being claimed by Nashville, being waived by Nashville and getting claimed by Carolina, where he was immediately sent to the AHL.

Ahhhh...Zach "the boy" Boychuck...what a time that was to be a Penguins fan. Humiliating 2012 defeat...KCD at it's height...no LW for Malkin...Tanner Glass-Joe Vitale-Craig Adams 4th line...Bylsma smirkin...Shero throwing futures away for broken down vets like it's going out of style...

Memmmmmmmories...

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Ahhhh...Zach "the boy" Boychuck...what a time that was to be a Penguins fan. Humiliating 2012 defeat...KCD at it's height...no LW for Malkin...Tanner Glass-Joe Vitale-Craig Adams 4th line...Bylsma smirkin...Shero throwing futures away for broken down vets like it's going out of style...

Memmmmmmmories...

This post makes every part of my body hurt.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

JR said he might do it and did.
He probably could've took Wedgewood instead. Personally i think he's better than Condon.
Anywho. This gives JR some security if MAF gets injured.

Wedgewood has four games of NHL experience.

Condon had about 40 games last year. If you're looking for a short term back-up to rely on, Condon is a far better option than Wedgewood.

It's a lot like the Devils claiming Parenteau instead of Griffith/Pulkinnen. They already have Bennett, DSP, and a college UFA Lappin challenging for RW spots so they added the more proven commodity in Parenteau vs. the unproven commodities.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Yea, i don't see how Condon's eligibility for the exp. draft plays into this at all.
Condon has more NHL experience(starter+backup) than Wedgewood, is probably the sole reason.

I personally think Wedgewood's a better G and i would've claimed him ahead of Condon but this is whatevs. MM+Jarry or Gustafsson is the Pens future.

Wedgewood did look really good in his game against the penguins.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if they still claim Condon if Fleury doesn't look like ass in pre-season.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea, i don't see how Condon's eligibility for the exp. draft plays into this at all.
Condon has more NHL experience(starter+backup) than Wedgewood, is probably the sole reason.

I personally think Wedgewood's a better G and i would've claimed him ahead of Condon but this is whatevs. MM+Jarry or Gustafsson is the Pens future.

It's also worth noting that the Pens have a bit more direct knowledge of Condon than Wedgewood, thanks to the time when the Canadiens and Pens were both affiliated with the Wheeling Nailers - Condon played for the Nailers during that time.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Condon is a pretty good back-up. Won't steal games, but won't lose you games either.

He's consistent in his averageness, which is a valuable quality for a back-up in my opinion

What??

Won't lose games ??

Condon will 100% lose you games.

Pens fans be prepared to be down 1-0 within the first few minutes, and 2 or 3 nothing by shot 8 or 9. Then Condon will make saves but he will put you in a nice hole.

Condon was 38th out of 38 goalies as a starter last year. Sure he was left out to dry as a rookie but if here is one thing Condon knows how to do is to let in a weak or back breaking goal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What??

Won't lose games ??

Pens fans be prepared to be down 1-0 within the first few minutes, and 2 or 3 nothing by shot 8 or 9. Then Condon will make saves but he will put you in a nice hole.

Condon was 38th out of 38 goalies as a starter last year. Sure he was left out to dry as a rookie but if here is one thing Condon knows how to do is to let in a weak or back breaking goal.

Good news is that he doesn't have to be our starter. You also need to keep in mind that you guys were relying on him to replace the best goalie in the league and frankly, your team is fairly average without Price. Pens are using him a stop gap back up until MM is healthy. I think we will be fine.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What??

Won't lose games ??

I love how you're ignoring the fact that without Price, Montreal is just about as good as Edmonton. Condon was a rookie backup who was forced to play behind a team that is just propped up by their elite goalie. If you expected anything else, I don't know what to tell you. Montreal was a bad team last year, if Price goes down, they're instantly in the cellar again this year.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I'm fine with them picking up an experienced backup for the first part of the season.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Good news is that he doesn't have to be our starter. You also need to keep in mind that you guys were relying on him to replace the best goalie in the league and frankly, your team is fairly average without Price. Pens are using him a stop gap back up until MM is healthy. I think we will be fine.

That is good news that he isn't your starter no doubt about it. As a backup maybe he might play well. But after watching him last year he struggled, and he struggled a lot.

If MM returns quickly and you jettison him he shouldn't cause to much harm, but if it turns out that for whatever reason you have to rely on Condon good luck with that.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I love how you're ignoring the fact that without Price, Montreal is just about as good as Edmonton. Condon was a rookie backup who was forced to play behind a team that is just propped up by their elite goalie. If you expected anything else, I don't know what to tell you. Montreal was a bad team last year, if Price goes down, they're instantly in the cellar again this year.

Just a habs fan here who watched tons of habs games giving you the skinny on MC.

MC was not a good goalie for the habs last year. He was in over his head as the starter, but he still didn't peform. He lets in bad goals every game. Tons of games where he let in a goal on the first shot. Tons of games where habs outshot the opposition 10-2 and the score is 1-0. This per season he let in 3 goals on the first 8 shots one game.

That is MC for you. If your team ties the game up expect MC to let in a weak one within a few minutes. He also loses the puck in his feet a lot a couple of weak goals scored against him that way. And don't let him handle the puck either.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad the habs are or Carey Price. Just telling you like it is from last year. Bad goals left and right, rebounds all over the place. Puts the team behind the 8-ball constantly by letting in the first goal. Can't really handle the puck and loses it in his crease. Maybe he will grow and be better this year but there is a reason habs got Montoya and waived him over Lindgren/Fucale. I wouldn't get your hopes up on MC being a good backup. 38th out of 38th for goalies last year that should tell you something about how good he is.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
How is that not relevant? If we trade Fleury, we can expose Condon.
For purposes of expansion draft exposure requirements, Condon is not eligible. The players must be under contract for next season or, I believe, RFA. Condon is a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad