Confirmed with Link: Pens Claim Condon Off Waivers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For purposes of expansion draft exposure requirements, Condon is not eligible. The players must be under contract for next season or, I believe, RFA. Condon is a UFA.

That's false, there are no rules about players needing to be under contract for the next season in order to be eligible for the expansion draft. The expansion draft occurs in the 16-17 season, meaning that they'd still be under contract.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's false, there are no rules about players needing to be under contract for the next season in order to be eligible for the expansion draft. The expansion draft occurs in the 16-17 season, meaning that they'd still be under contract.

no, there are rules that you have to expose a certain number of players who are under contract for next year, including one goalie that is under contract for next year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They need to be under contract for the 2017/18 season, and/or RFA.

That means no UFA's are required to be protected, and prospects need to be under contract or RFA so they control their rights.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
no, there are rules that you have to expose a certain number of players who are under contract for next year, including one goalie that is under contract for next year.

Oh I read that wrong, I thought the other poster said that Condon wasn't eligible for the draft because he's not under contract. That was my fault.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
In case anyone wants to read the text

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I thought you could only protect one goalie? But you only have to expose one? Any warm body with a minimum NHL goalie contract?
You can only protect one but you ALSO have to expose one goaltending asset.

The text there doesn't have an NHL games requirement for goalies so I'm assuming it can be any goalie on an NHL deal.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It's both. They can only protect one and they have to expose one.

Could they just re-sign someone like Condon during the season and expose him?
You beat me to it. :D

That could be the plan if they aren't going to get MAF to waive. Jarry and Maguire should be exempt, so if they don't extend Condon then they'll still have to pick someone up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad