Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Carolina (April 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
J Staal a -3 tonight after 2 periods, yet will probably get a hat trick against us :shakehead

JK Staal has no hands!

CrozJawz*

So Carolina getting destroyed tonight and will bounce back tomorrow? :shakehead

You got it.

They will likely get blown out tonight, looking like a steaming pile of dog crap, only to come back tomorrow night like world beaters. Whoever starts in goal for them will look like Vezina material and likely everything they throw on net against the Pens will some how find a way in...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You just gotta love the Hockeys Future Gang.

Bennett has already been focused on defense and board play so far. Whatever offense he has provided has been a bonus. Sounds like a good 4th liner to me....

Young players tend to play up to or down to the level of the people on their line at times. Playing with scrubs like Adams or Kennedy will do nothing to help him develop good offensive habits or comfort level, and may actually encourage bad habits although I admit it's not like it's a guarantee. Just saying that sort of thing has happened before with good young players who get stuck on 4th lines.

The saving grace here is there's probably not enough time to develop any habits one way or the other. I think the 3rd line with Sutter was the absolute perfect spot for him but when we got both Morrow and Iggy that sort of went out the window. My main point is, we're not so loaded with scoring wingers that we can afford to dump Bennett on the 4th line and ask him to be a plug... specifically because HE IS defensively responsible / not a liability (on any line he plays for) and because he has an element of creativity to his game that our wingers (other than Iggy) don't have. Short of Sutter he's not going to find skill or creativity on the bottom 6.

SteelFish87*

Canes have been getting blown out frequently

we'll probably lose 3-1 :(

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the effort isn't there and that's what results in a loss, the Pens need to really right the ship before the playoffs. Because the way the Canes are playing, there is no way in hell the Pens should lose to this team if they actually show up.

And honestly, this should be the perfect remedy for the Pens' current offensive woes. If our slumping scorers can't break out against the Canes' defense/goaltending, then I don't know what to say.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
canes looked good against boston through the first 2 periods. (didn't watch 3rd) their goal tending was horrendous while rask was playing very strong. Boston can only feel lucky after a game like that.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Canes have been losing a lot of games lately, time for Pens offense to wake up. The presence of the Nitz with Malkin and Iggy (on the right spot) will surely be better than a cold Neal.

And I actually like that second line, i don't know what's up with you people. It actually balance skills and roles, on the 4th line Bennett will help create danger and benefit from Glass and Adams forecheck.

Any change Letang is game time decision ? Would be nice.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I feel that reuniting Kunitz with Malkin is a good idea at this point. Iginla can stay on the RW, his prefered spot. If they find chemistry this line should be pretty good and Kunitz has shown that he can make Malkin go!

Not sure though to have Bennett on the 4th line, but he practiced there. Personally I would switch him with Kennedy, but unfortunately, that is not my call. ;-)

Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis, that line is slow, Dupuis beeing the exception of course.

Carolina will be very motivated after the recent blowouts, this will not be an easy game at all!

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Can't wait to be reminded of how much I don't miss Staal tomorrow.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Letang will be key.
Gives us better pairings on the back end and Fleury wouldn't have to win this one on his own like Friday versus the Rangers.

I hate seeing Neal out but this actually forces much needed chemistry on this hockey club. There was too many bodies and a coach who seemed to think playing Iginla on the left side was a good idea.

I expect Kunitz-Malkin-Iginla to look like a true bonafide first line right off the hop. All the elements are there for it.

Not sure how Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis will look. It has potential though.

Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy will be great.
And BB dressed anywhere in the lineup is always good imo.

Canes are one of the bigger clubs so it's nice to have Crankshaft back there.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping the Pens have used their practice time to get some chemistry set.

There's no way it can be easy getting used to the Pens system and pace so the new guys get a little bit of a break from me. I actually think Murray has looked the best so far, Morrow looked good last game and now its Iggys turn.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I watched Boston/Carolina and can say the same thing as I did against Buffalo. Carolina controlled play almost all game then had a few defensive zone breakdowns that lead to some crap goals. Carolina out hustled and chanced them for awhile but then gave up.

We have to jump quick and do the same thing. Convert early. I think Tlusty had like 3 chances alone to put a puck in the net either to make it 1-0 or 1-1.

Can't expect a win. If we do, same result as Buffalo.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I watched Boston/Carolina and can say the same thing as I did against Buffalo. Carolina controlled play almost all game then had a few defensive zone breakdowns that lead to some crap goals. Carolina out hustled and chanced them for awhile but then gave up.

We have to jump quick and do the same thing. Convert early. I think Tlusty had like 3 chances alone to put a puck in the net either to make it 1-0 or 1-1.

Can't expect a win. If we do, same result as Buffalo.

I do expect Kunitz-Malkin-Iginla to really gel quickly but more importantly we need the puck movers to kick start the offense.

If Letang dresses, our chances go up significantly in my mind. Letang and Despres dressing would be ideal. If not were looking at Fleury having to put the team on his back again.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Canes have been losing a lot of games lately, time for Pens offense to wake up. The presence of the Nitz with Malkin and Iggy (on the right spot) will surely be better than a cold Neal.

And I actually like that second line, i don't know what's up with you people. It actually balance skills and roles, on the 4th line Bennett will help create danger and benefit from Glass and Adams forecheck.

Any change Letang is game time decision ? Would be nice.

A good chance, yeah. He said yesterday he felt ready to play but it was up to the coach & doctors/trainers. Just a guess but they'll probably see how he feels after the morning skate today and make a decision from there.

Fire Shero*

It is surprising that the Canes have a decent shot at the #1 pick this season. I thought they were a lock to win the Southeast Division and possibly compete for a shot at the cup in the Eastern Conference. Who would have thought they'd be in the bottom 5 this season?

I know they have had injuries, but come on now. J. Staal is -15 on the season.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
It is surprising that the Canes have a decent shot at the #1 pick this season. I thought they were a lock to win the Southeast Division and possibly compete for a shot at the cup in the Eastern Conference. Who would have thought they'd be in the bottom 5 this season?

I know they have had injuries, but come on now. J. Staal is -15 on the season.

They still need Marc and perhaps Jared before they can form like Voltron and take the cup

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do expect Kunitz-Malkin-Iginla to really gel quickly but more importantly we need the puck movers to kick start the offense.

If Letang dresses, our chances go up significantly in my mind. Letang and Despres dressing would be ideal. If not were looking at Fleury having to put the team on his back again.

I hope they kill it. Because then it will send shockwaves to DB that we need a grinder on that line. Then hopefully someone in our media actually tells them that. It'd be very nice.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeap everyone else has treated the Canes like a punching bag, the Pens better do no less. Bout time for Morrow and Iginla to live up to the hype and for Malkin to wake up.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeap everyone else has treated the Canes like a punching bag, the Pens better do no less. Bout time for Morrow and Iginla to live up to the hype and for Malkin to wake up.

That's not true. While the score said 6-2 Boston, Carolina controlled the most part of that game early on. It easily could have been 2-0 Carolina if it weren't for TERRIBLE goaltending and a few small breakdowns defensively. They were very solid off the start.

The score did not define how that game was played. Not by a long shot.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Feeling another big game from Jussi, who knows a lot about Kirk Muller's game, and of course there's always the revenge element. Carolina has been absolutely awful as of late. We'll probably give up a goal to JStaal but I'm feeling domination by the Koon-Geno-Iggy line. Also hoping for a goal from Bennett to prompt Bylsma to at least move him to the top-9.

Let's go Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino