Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He was injured long before that Crosby thing

Long? He seemed fine to start the game including taking faceoffs. I think about 3 faceoffs in is about the timing of the PK shot block.

Again, why did he leave the game after the Crosby thing. Watch it, it is very awkward up along and boards and the leagues chosen one despite already having position decides to dive right in front of his legs to play a puck.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Long? He seemed fine to start the game including taking faceoffs. I think about 3 faceoffs in is about the timing of the PK shot block.

Again, why did he leave the game after the Crosby thing. Watch it, it is very awkward up along and boards and the leagues chosen one despite already having position decides to dive right in front of your legs to play a puck.

Ive seen the Crosby thing. I don't see anything with the legs. What I think is that his hand or wrist or arm that is dinged got hung up there. He took 3 faceoffs. How deep in the game is 3? Its pretty hard to know if what took him off the face offs was there when the game started or after. Whatever it was, it was not close in proximity to that Crosby thing.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Why does it seem so hard for this team to get over the hump? Every time they have Pitt on the ropes something happens to make it that much harder, either self inflicted or bad luck. Had them reeling then Wilson suspension. Have them again, and Backstrom hurt. This team needs to close out in 6 and not go to a 7th game but I as much as I will try to be positive I don’t think they can go into Pitt and win without Backstrom, Wilson, and Burakovsky. I’m assuming Carlson is fine...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why does it seem so hard for this team to get over the hump? Every time they have Pitt on the ropes something happens to make it that much harder, either self inflicted or bad luck. Had them reeling then Wilson suspension. Have them again, and Backstrom hurt. This team needs to close out in 6 and not go to a 7th game but I as much as I will try to be positive I don’t think they can go into Pitt and win without Backstrom, Wilson, and Burakovsky. I’m assuming Carlson is fine...

I bet Backstrom plays. Burt hasn't been missed. Wilson was a blow. They can win the series. I am not stupid enough to think they will. I will just watch and hope.

If they can manage to win, I like their chances beyond that. Its weird

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I suspect Nick got injured blocking a shot in the first and then maybe some subtle stick work before his feeble dive attempt to draw a penalty worsened the upper.

I was at the game, and you could kind of hear that shot thwap off Nicky's body, and everybody around me winced. But yeah the fact that he wasn't taking face offs before that is a tell.

Gotta say - great GDT here, but crowd at the game was more composed when things were looking dire than the board, especially in the 2nd period.

After the 4th consecutive PP for the Pens, a 7 year old kid behind me tunes to his Dad and said: "This is not a fair game." Welcome to Caps fandom kid. To his credit, kid was doing his best werewolf howl during unleash the fury.

If only there were a way to track a team's ratio of called borderline infractions against their opponent to uncalled borderline infractions they commit themselves - Pens would be Hall-of-Famers. Maybe give it a fancy stats name like the Whiney.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So tomorrow night would be a fine time for that shutout we all know Holtby has in him.

I believe the last time he went into a Pennsylvania rink on the road with a chance to close out a playoff series, he pitched a 1-0 shutout. So there's that

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I thought it was undeniable proof of the loser victim mentality that will haunt this team until the end of time? And according to those who really ‘know’ this stuff there was no other explanation for such an incredible show of weakness?

Never said that. Also, tx is speculating like the rest of us.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Backstrom broke something the cast will mean the end of playoffs for him. So he can play some more games if he can do it with painkillers.

This sucks. But maybe 18 can go as #3C and Eller will be #2C obviously. Wilson and Bura could compensate some of this.

Not the end of the world. Nashville lost Johansen and got into finals still. Not that long ago.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
8-92-?
?-20-?
?-18-?

Oshie -> 1st line?
Vrana with Eller? There some options, but it isn't deep obviously.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ok, back online after a full and needed day away. Haven’t watched the game yet, but saw the result. Sounds like just an awesome comeback. But the Backstrom injury... that seems like a dealbreaker if he can’t play.

And is Carlson also hurt badly?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Great win, especially nice to see the top line guys come through. Holtby is hanging tough.
Apologies to the deceased equine -- but it's damn funny how Trotz gets strong-armed by circumstances to give young/fast/skilled guys a chance on top lines at the 11th hour, and then -- would you believe it -- it ends up working out.
Incidentally, I don't think Trotz kills skilled young players' development -- I just think he delays it by about 2 years.
Anyway, good stuff.

Reactions: calicapsfan

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
What a difference between the caps beat writers and pens beat writers in terms of fandom and bias. Polar opposites. Likely because the professional sports writers in Pittsburgh grew up there as fans before becoming what they are well the caps don’t really have that.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What a difference between the caps beat writers and pens beat writers in terms of fandom and bias. Polar opposites. Likely because the professional sports writers in Pittsburgh grew up there as fans before becoming what they are well the caps don’t really have that.

unless your rob rossi

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Apologies to the deceased equine -- but it's damn funny how Trotz gets strong-armed by circumstances to give young/fast/skilled guys a chance on top lines at the 11th hour, and then -- would you believe it -- it ends up working out.

LOL it is funny that the two best adjustments Trotz has ever made in the playoffs were basically forced upon him. And in Vrana's case he tried very hard to screw it up by putting DSP out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad