Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Anytime a guy leaves a game and doesn't come back - that is a good enough "source" for me to speculate that he may miss more time.

How often does a guy leave a playoff game ~tied and not come back, but then play the next game, and be effective - his normal self. I would guess its rare.
I heard Backstrom did come back to the bench but didn't play a shift. That could be a false report though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If we win the cup that would be inspite of Trotz’s abhorrent “coaching”. The only other coach that could possibly think that putting a marginal 4th liner on the top line for a crucial playoff game is a good idea is Adam Oates. And there’s a reason why Oates hasn’t sniffed a HC job since he was relieved of his duties.

Disingenuous post is disingenuous...

Reactions: calicapsfan

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If we win the cup that would be inspite of Trotz’s abhorrent “coaching”. The only other coach that could possibly think that putting a marginal 4th liner on the top line for a crucial playoff game is a good idea is Adam Oates. And there’s a reason why Oates hasn’t sniffed a HC job since he was relieved of his duties.
I agree 100%

There are players who are top 6 players - and players who are bottom 6 players.

Vrana was a first rd pick and expects/has skills to be a top 6 player. DSP has always in his career been a bottom 6 player.

Issue with putting DSP, the Beagle failure on top line, etc is it not only does it screw up the top line of Ovi/Kuzy because they now have a well below average offensive player neutralizing them - but it hurts DSP too. They put DSP on top line (or whatever else bottom 6 player) and they are put in positions to not succeed too.

DSP didn’t have success because he also was put in a role that wasn’t best for him. Then he is so out of it/does so bad/he even has issues being back on the third line because he’s been demoted and has to even go to fourth line.

There’s a reason there’s a saying of “top 6 player” and a “bottom 6 player”. Sure, some people can excel and do okay in multiple roles - but DSP is not that guy and never will be that guy... and that’s not his fault. It was a awful coaching decision and bad game management putting a player in position they aren’t likely to succeed.

Vrana wants to be a top 6 player... it’s what he’s been his entire life up until Caps. He EXPECTS to be a top 6 player... and has the talent to produce like a top 6 talent. DSP just isn’t that player. He’s a grinder - and he belongs on the bottom lines to succeed.

Trotz putting DSP on top line wasn’t logical... it was him being anti-youth again.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Yeah - Sid's a whiner. And he's unspectacular. But he's always doing the smart one second ahead of the play thing offensively - with or without the puck. Like always doing that. It's his superpower.

And he's not as hate-able as Hornqvist, Malkin, and Letang, and past douches like Kunitz. Also, starting to work up a considerable animosity for Guentzel

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Crosby is amazing. He controls the game and the flow of play like no one I've ever seen. He just sees everything 3 steps ahead of everyone else. That said, he is a human being and does have off nights, one of which was last night. He was buried in shot attempts at -14, though he wasn't as bad as Malkin, Hornqvist, and Kessel who were all -4. The forgotten guys (Kuhnhackl, Sheary, Brassard) showed why the Pens normally do the Pens thing and win even when their stars don't show up as they were terrific all night.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Crosby is amazing. He controls the game and the flow of play like no one I've ever seen. He just sees everything 3 steps ahead of everyone else. That said, he is a human being and does have off nights, one of which was last night. He was buried in shot attempts at -14, though he wasn't as bad as Malkin, Hornqvist, and Kessel who were all -4. The forgotten guys (Kuhnhackl, Sheary, Brassard) showed why the Pens normally do the Pens thing and win even when their stars don't show up as they were terrific all night.

You never saw Gretzky or Lemieux? Wayne was 5 steps ahead. Chessmaster against a bunch of Checkers players.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby is amazing. He controls the game and the flow of play like no one I've ever seen.

Eh, maybe when he's in the offensive zone. Not so on defense. His line has been scored on quite a lot - like, just as much as they have scored ES. His defense in this series has ranged from nonexistent to putrid.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah - Sid's a whiner. And he's unspectacular. But he's always doing the smart one second ahead of the play thing offensively - with or without the puck. Like always doing that. It's his superpower.

And he's not as hate-able as Hornqvist, Malkin, and Letang, and past *****es like Kunitz. Also, starting to work up a considerable animosity for Guentzel

And as "unspectacular" as he is, he does shit like this

The guy is a beast, the best at what he does. He was an offensive force only as a young player, he's also a two-way force now.

Ok, enough praising Crosby. Screw him and his team and I hope they never win a damn thing again.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
The Crosby criticism is hilarious. I hate the Pens and him. Seriously just his expressions where he’s never smiling always serious. Very punchable face. But the dude is a stud. I’m a hockey noob meaning I don’t pick up any subtleties but even I see him constantly affecting plays and doing things with and without the puck to create scoring chances. He’s the only reason they have any chance of going deep this year. If it wasn’t for his line we would’ve swept them if they even got past Philly.

I can’t wait to see this asshat on the losing end of the handshake line

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
So what happens if the Caps get past Pittsburgh but lose to TB or in the SCF? Do they re-sign Barry? Does he have to make the SCF, or is beating Pitt enough?

I think it's a safe bet that he's gone if they lose the next two games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So what happens if the Caps get past Pittsburgh but lose to TB or in the SCF? Do they re-sign Barry? Does he have to make the SCF, or is beating Pitt enough?

I think it's a safe bet that he's gone if they lose the next two games.

Good question.

Barry’s treatment around here isn’t particularly fair, IMO. It’s fair to a point as some of the criticism is obviously justified, and the results are the results. As Parcells liked to say “you are what your record says you are”.

But people ignore what’s he’s done on the positive side, all to fit the “fire Trotz” narrative. Unfairly.

Pretty much to a fan, we all wanted him to beat the Pens and get Ovy beyond the 2nd round. So, *IF* that happens? :dunno:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The Crosby criticism is hilarious. I hate the Pens and him. Seriously just his expressions where he’s never smiling always serious. Very punchable face. But the dude is a stud. I’m a hockey noob meaning I don’t pick up any subtleties but even I see him constantly affecting plays and doing things with and without the puck to create scoring chances. He’s the only reason they have any chance of going deep this year. If it wasn’t for his line we would’ve swept them if they even got past Philly.

I can’t wait to see this asshat on the losing end of the handshake line

If they even shake hands. ;)

Reactions: CapsDC

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Really? Even if they win it? I think hes gone if we dont make it to the cup finals.

Trotz has been a head coach none stop for a long ass time. He has a special needs child at home. He has said that the Caps are his last stop early on. Its been in my mind that he wants to retire.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Trotz has been a head coach none stop for a long ass time. He has a special needs child at home. He has said that the Caps are his last stop early on. Its been in my mind that he wants to retire.

Maybe, but he's only 55. I bet if he retires it won't last more than a couple years.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad