Post-Game Talk: Pens/Canes plus/minus 10.28.2013

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Didn't see one. Feel free to merge if someone else makes one and/or I'm not allowed to do this.

+++number one star for me in this game was the Hurricanes broadcast.

Scouting reports on the visiting team's rookies, research on the visiting goaltender, relevant performance information (Pens are 30th on the PK on the road...anybody else know that? I didn't), informed speculation about Canada's net situation and the US's roster, tactical discussions on faceoffs and dumps, OHL updates and a window showing the goaltender leaving the net instead of cutting away from the play.

Tremendous work all around by Fox Sports South.

+Megna. Nice to see that hard work rewarded

+Sid

+Martin.

+Really, I liked the game of every D in this one though

+line jumbling. It's about time

+Fleury. Stopped what he needed to

-Kunitz and Dupuis weren't very good. Kunitz's goal was a gift

-Sutter. Would be nice to see a pulse out of him.

-JJ ditto.

~everyone not mentioned was pretty forgettable in this one to me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hope everyone looks better than the 'good' tonight against Boston, because it might be ugly otherwise.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
+Megna - I really like this kid, he deserved those two points tonight
+Crosby
+Fleury - he had a respectable game

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
-D'agostini wasn't very good tonight with 2 penalties
-the PP (something we need clicking right now with all the injuries)

As for Wednesday, i'd bump Megna up to Geno's wing. Bench D'ags and insert Jeffrey and bring another AHL'er up if Kobasew is on IR.

If DB dresses Engelland for Bortuzzo, i'll lose my ****.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
+ Megna and all the bastardizations of his name that are possible.
+ Martin, a really good game from him.
+ Crosby perked up enough to be involved in 2/3 of the offense, also a negative.
+ J. Staal, it's not pretty.
+ Good Glass showed up and Vitale was Vitaleing..
+ The lines were shuffled.
+ Maatta and Bortuzzo.

= Orpik, surprisingly productive.
= Letang got less stupid in the third period.

- Kunitz, jesus christ.
- Sutter, he's reverted back to lesser Sutter.
- Jokinen, he lost that hustle that he found. He also got hit in the mouth and I have a thing about teeth.
- Kobasew got injured, and Sutter got banged up.
- The penalties
- The Injuries.

++++++++ Adams' 2 on 1 with Crosby, the Pens won so it's hilarious.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Really happy for Megna. Kid worked his ass off and was rewarded ... here's to hoping the coaching staff does the same.

Someone mentioned in the GDT that the silver lining to all the injuries is that the kids are getting a chance to play. That's pretty spot on, I think.

I really want JJ off of Malkin's line. His play has really, really slacked off now that there's no one competing for that spot with Neal and BB out.

Another game, another injury. I blame that guy who's always wishing Duper injury. Bad ju-ju, man.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Megna with the big game!

This guy has the tools - creative stick handler, good shot, great skating....

He's a strange case, having not played hockey until he was 18 or something crazy like that. He's been missing that "feel" for the game. But has been on fire so far this year. He's a "projectability" player, who's ceiling is really unknown. At the very least, the dude looks like he could be a quality 3rd line player with his skill-set and work ethic.

And there is also that thing when he flashes some high end skill, which I have seen in the prospects camp and the A; makes you wonder if he could grow into a strong winger for Sid or Geno someday....

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Didn't see one. Feel free to merge if someone else makes one and/or I'm not allowed to do this.

+++number one star for me in this game was the Hurricanes broadcast.

Scouting reports on the visiting team's rookies, research on the visiting goaltender, relevant performance information (Pens are 30th on the PK on the road...anybody else know that? I didn't), informed speculation about Canada's net situation and the US's roster, tactical discussions on faceoffs and dumps, OHL updates and a window showing the goaltender leaving the net instead of cutting away from the play.

Tremendous work all around by Fox Sports South.

As someone who lives in Raleigh, I love the Canes broadcasts. They are absolutely phenomenal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ Maatta/Bort: Great chemistry. Enjoyed their game.

+ Night of Megna: Coming out party for Jayson. Great Pens moment.

+ Paul Martin: Awesome defensive game.

+ Crosby's skill: It's just too ridiculous. Individual talent that far surpasses anyone in the NHL.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
+Jayson Megna
+Sidney Crosby
+Paul Martin
+Marc-Andre Fleury
+Robert Bortuzzo
+Joe Vitale

=Chris Kunitz
=Jussi Jokinen
=Pascal Dupuis
=Brooks Orpik
=Olli Maata

- Powerplay
- Matt D'agostini
- Evgeni Malkin
- Brandon Sutter

I really hope D'agostini can improve his play because I hated him this game, completely invisible until he takes two minor penalties away from the play. Our Powerplay is atrocious, someone fix it. Malkin looked disengaged most of the game. and Sutter, good god man pick it up or ship out!

But i'm glad we came out with the win. Fleury played very well as did Sid and obviously Megna. Overall not a terrible game, but not a great one either. 2 points. I'll take it.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
BXtepR4CQAAhvd7.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/RealDanaHeinze/status/395013456123809793/photo/1

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
+ Crosby's skill: It's just too ridiculous. Individual talent that far surpasses anyone in the NHL.

There was the assist on the Kunitz goal of course but there was also one play where there was an airborne puck that Crosby whacked to his left and then to his right and the puck then dropped onto his blade where he had perfect control of it. It was one of those hand-eye plays that only Sid could do. It was utterly absurd to watch.

There's so much that impresses about Crosby but his hand-eye might honestly be the best in NHL history, and maybe the best of any athlete alive today. His coordination is just sick. Lemieux had better hands in terms of dangling than Sid but even Mario didn't have the type of hand-eye that Sid has.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
I'll enjoy the success of this game for like 11 seconds. Boston is in out building in 48 hours and that will be an exposure of this team overall-unless they can win 1-0, 2-1 games.

+ Overall Defense was good.
+ Backchecking getting sticks on pucks
+ Megna is a great skater, he's kind of like TK 2.0 but smoother around the edges.

Man, Malkin wants to open up, you can see it and it's just not happening for him.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Also Brooks Orpik has the same amount of points as Claude Giroux. :laugh: and has more goals.

Orpik: 1G 4A
Giroux: 0G 5A

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I don´t think Sutter deserves a "minus" for this game. He was excellent at the faceoff circle and made quite a lot of good defensive work. He had some decent looks offensively as well. Yeah, he didn´t score again and that penalty was stupid, but otherwise he was OK.

Megna was fantastic. Crosby, Fleury, Martin and Orpik(wtf!) were very good.

Maatta and Bort were winning the battles defensively, I guess that´s enough for the good 3rd pair.

I am sad of Malkin´s situation. Right now, I don´t even know if it´s more because of his poor offensive effort or because of his poor linemates, but he´s just not dangerous. Hell, Megna can be dangerous, Vitale can be dangerous and I´m not even talking about Crosby.. Malkin HAS TO BE more involved.

Kobasew getting hurt is actually a plus for me, that opens up a chance for Megna. He can´t be worse than Kobasew.

Jokinen is meh at best.. And I will give D´Agostini a little more time before the judgement, but honestly, I don´t really believe in him.

And yes, Fleury continues to be rock solid. Nice to see.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
+ Sutter having more points than J. Staal so far this year. What happened to Jordan? Seems like he's fallen off the face of the earth after that trade.

+ Megna. The kid has a lot of spunk with a dash of skill. I'm very interested to see how he develops. A Megna - Sutter - Bennett third line could be very exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad