Post-Game Talk: Pens/Canes plus/minus 10.28.2013

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I munch on wet cardboard when he scores until my eyes roll back into my skull... then I feel better.

The Fedex boxes are my fav. Light and tangy with just a little hint of exhaust fumes.

I also laugh at other people's reactions and what I think Bylsma must be thinking. I've decided to embrace that particular insanity, that and only talking to the voices in my head on Wednesdays.

Probably something like "Sid is more likely to score in these situations than me SO I HAVE TO GET RID OF THE PUCK AT ALL COSTS"

I was thinking something like, Oh, ****. I'm on a 2 on 1 with Sid. What do I do, what do I do? Shoot it?!?! No, Crosby is a better shot, I know, I'll pass it!!!!! This is your moment Craig Adams. I can do this!! .....****.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The difference in number of posts in the post-game thread after a win or loss is pretty humorous.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The difference in number of posts in the post-game thread after a win or loss is pretty humorous.

Could it simply be a result of less people being able to watch the game? I'm honestly wondering, because I wasn't able to watch tonight, yet I watched the debacle against the Leafs. Thus, my commenting on that game and not this one had nothing to do with wins or losses.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

It was a meh sort of game.

Yeah, it was a relief to stop the bleeding of three losses in a row, but they looked pretty bad overall, against a pretty bad team, so this kind of win did not reassure anyone about the worries that popped up this week.

So you get a meh sort of post game reaction.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
- people saying Megna is kinda like TK, would be like me saying Kate Upton is kinda like Maggie Gyllenhaal or Pop Tarts are kinda like Toaster Strudels. Wtf?

- the Sutter hate is getting comically bad. After seeing Staal Goof Troop his way around the ice tonight, we all had a great big reminder of why he frustrated us so often.

Jiggy, how dare you compare Kate Upton to TK!

I agree on the Sutter hate. I feel like I'm watching a different game than this board 99x out of 100.

Megs did alright. I agree that trying a Megna, Sutter, BB line (when he's healthy) could be interesting.

JJ/Sid/Dupes
Kunitz/Malkin/Neal

Would make for an interesting top 6

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
J.Staal is playing in a role that does not fit him. He's the leagues best third line center, but not a very good top 6 center let alone 1st line center. His role when he was here made him look like a beast, but he wanted more and wasn't going to get it here. he is not proving much.

I wonder if playing with his older brother is actually detrimental to his performance. Most of us have a tendency of regressing to what we were when around family.

Anyhow. Back to the game:

+ Megna. Played well all game and not just for his two points. Time will tell if he belongs with the big team or not.
+ Crosby. No need for explanation.
+ Martin. Some stand up play tonight
+ Vitale standing up for Adams. I generally don't like fights but sometimes it is called for.

- Adams during that 2 on 1. Oye.
- Scuderi news. Blegh. Really liked what he brings to the team. Get better soon!

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Megna had a great game. Congrats to Megna on his first NHL goal. It wasn't beautiful but it counts!
+ Sid was good.
+ Martin was solid.
+ Vitale/Glass. Joe V was great!
+ Määttä/Bort. I really liked their game.

- Powerplay.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
My Comparison is a young Max Talbot. Obviously minus the chica chee.

But the chica chee is what makes Max, Max.

I'm not really sure who I'd compare Megna to. I think he's quite different from Talbot though.

I'm really curious to see how he plays against Boston, I feel like a good game against them will help his chances to stick around longer.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I munch on wet cardboard when he scores until my eyes roll back into my skull... then I feel better.

The Fedex boxes are my fav. Light and tangy with just a little hint of exhaust fumes.

You munch on wet cardboard when he doesn't score also, so that's not saying much.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I wonder if playing with his older brother is actually detrimental to his performance. Most of us have a tendency of regressing to what we were when around family.
Yeah. I also wonder if part of it is just not being on the same team as Sidney Crosby. If you take pride in your game, and you play on the same team as 87...you just can't justify giving it anything other than 100% in practice or in games, because he's just such a machine and you see it every day. Maybe not being around that all the time has let him slip into a bit of torpor...

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
- the Sutter hate is getting comically bad. After seeing Staal Goof Troop his way around the ice tonight, we all had a great big reminder of why he frustrated us so often.
This is what frustrates me about this board. So many have one collective mind that it becomes the popular and accepted thing to do to pick a guy to hate on and run with it. Then when he actually plays well they are all so used to looking for the negative it quickly becomes amplified and the poor dead horse continues to have the living hell beaten out of it.
Brandon has definitely deserved heat for his play at times this year but tonight is not one of those nights (regardless of how Staal played).
Mr. Jiggyfly said:
- tonight Dags looked like the guy I didn't like much in pre-season. I was hoping not to see that guy again.
Now this is a guy who deserves some heat. Dumb penalties and really wasn't effective anywhere else. A definite liability for the Pens tonight.
Mr. Jiggyfly said:
- someone tell me why DB ever broke up Bort/Maatta?
Are you REALLY asking a question which you of all people know the answer to already?
On second thought, there might not be much of an answer as I find it difficult to believe that he has logical reasons for a variety of his decisions so there is that.

As for my thoughts, I mean... Comon... Megnatron... Dude. He needs theme music from some 80's anthem song every time he starts skating up the ice. Maybe "Man in Motion" from St. Elmo's Fire. Or "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt Em". That kid was so scary great in his second NHL game. Unreal the confidence he came in with considering how timid and uneventful his first game was. In fact, that is what most amazes me other than his play. The huge gap between how he looked from first to second game. The funny thing is that neither of the plays where he got a point tonight were even in the top 3 plays he made tonight. That move on Harrison was just like... nastiness. As was the one behind the net. I re-wound my DVR and watched both in slow mo a few times. This is even a little better than the Megna that I'm used to watching.

+ Bylsma. Hey, he gets bashed constantly on here. He needs to get some actual credit for when he does a few things right. Like tonight, moving MD off of Malkins line and bumping Megna up in his spot after he undressed Harrison. He also reunited Rolli Maartazzo (yes, that name is patented and copyrighted so don't any of you dare try to use it without paying royalties) which was obvious. Though I don't think he would have done it had Scuderi not been injured. There is a shift with about 15:00 left in the third which just shows you some spectacular, smart hockey. Most casual fans won't appreciate its greatness but watch Määtta closely if you have it on TiVo.

- The need to actually take advantage on the scoreboard when we dominate like we did in the first period. Instead, Kunitz takes a penalty, followed by another dumb and unnecessary penalty by Adams which killed the flow and the momentum we had built.

- Kunitz was bad. He goes off-sides far to often, is incredibly transparent in his offense and half the time I am asking myself, "What in the wide wide world of sports is he thinking"? Speaking of offsides, Malkin (once) and Crosby (twice) threw unnecessary dekes and stick handled right at the line going into the offensive zone putting players offsides. Come on guys, you know better. I bet no one will harp on that as they are far to busy watching for Letang to double clutch on the power play so they can go on about what a dumb player he is.

- Adams. Geez. Obviously the shorthanded 2 on 1 with Sid was botched beyond all recognition but there was another play where he had Letang flying in from his right going in to the offensive zone and it would have been a breakaway. Adams never even saw it because he had tunnel vision (or no vision) on his left winger and forced a pass to a guy who was covered.

- I don't complain about Refs that much but Damn, these guys were horrid tonight. The Kunitz foul was bad. The Adams call he was forced to make as Adams stick broke. But not throwing Staal out of the Faceoff circle for such an obvious and huge infraction was bad. And it's amplified because Staal wins the faceoff and Carolina scores. Then Juice gets smacked right in the face pretty damn hard with Harrison's stick and it's another obvious call which went uncalled.

Finally, dammit. I don't complain about this much either but Errey and Steigy are so incredibly moronic that it was difficult to listen to. It was almost as bad as a Tostitos commercial (if you haven't seen any, they are terrible. Especially the one where there is a debate going on and a dancing, singing bag of chips interrupts the debate... Or the one where the annoying couple somehow thinks that someone's apartment is a resteraunt and the tenants are waiters. I won't buy Tostitos from now on simply on principle... Wow, that was some tangent).
Yeah, Errey is a little dumber than Steigy. I mean I expect for announcers to get names wrong. But repeatedly? For guys ON THE DAMN TEAM YOUVE BEEN COVERING FOR YEARS???? News flash guys, Staal isn't on our team anymore. That would be Brandon Sutter. And both of you called him Staal tonight. In Erreys case, more than once. Also, try to get the play right if you're coming back from commercial and you're going to do a quick analysis of it. Especially if it's a goal. Especially if you've already shown it 4+ times. Errey, it was never going to be icing had Megna not touched it because, A: He was behind the defense and nearest the puck, and B: It was going directly towards the goal. It never would have made it to the line, so no... Megna did NOT prevent an icing by getting to it first. And Megna was not playing defense on that one shift Steigy. That would be Letang. Numbers are similar and I realize how you could get confused considering that they play opposite positions and you haven't called about a million games which Letang has played in already.

Lost in all of this season has been how incredible Maffy has been this year. Even his demeanor is noticeably different. I know, I know. People are going to point out that he's done this before and it's the regular season and I understand that. I get it. Still, I think this is the best he has ever looked to start a season and like I said, he has never had such a calm and steely demeanor.

Nice win Boyeeee!

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Oh yeah. Two more things. Illustrations on why I can't stand Niskanen can be found with his first shift of the game and his last shift in the first period if you have TiVo or whatever.

Kunitz's goal. The one guy who didn't get a point on it is the one who should have. That was all Paul Martin. Usually when under pressure he simply flips the puck up the wall and the other teams know this. Which is why the Isles are so successful at prolonged puck possession in our zone. Orpik, Niskanen and Martin do this non stop so the opposing D pinches and BAM. Puck stays in our zone.
But on THAT play, he looked like he was about to flip it up the boards, yet spun and hit an open Orpik who then hit Crosby as he was leaving the D zone. A very nice play which went unnoticed and hopefully a wake up call about how we need to change our breakout strategy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
RE: Sutter having more points than J.Staal.

You want to bet that if both are healthy, that won't nearly be the case at the end of the season? I mean, it's freaking 12 games into the season...12. At most for teams, 14. Let's calm our ourselves a bit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh yeah. Two more things. Illustrations on why I can't stand Niskanen can be found with his first shift of the game and his last shift in the first period if you have TiVo or whatever.

Kunitz's goal. The one guy who didn't get a point on it is the one who should have. That was all Paul Martin. Usually when under pressure he simply flips the puck up the wall and the other teams know this. Which is why the Isles are so successful at prolonged puck possession in our zone. Orpik, Niskanen and Martin do this non stop so the opposing D pinches and BAM. Puck stays in our zone.
But on THAT play, he looked like he was about to flip it up the boards, yet spun and hit an open Orpik who then hit Crosby as he was leaving the D zone. A very nice play which went unnoticed and hopefully a wake up call about how we need to change our breakout strategy.

I'm going to just go ahead and give Jacques Martin the credit there, since Bylsma likes to "Play our game, it's what got us this far" and all that bs about never really adapting. Unless Paul sat down and actually watched some game tape and figured it out.

Should I assume these guys are that smart?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Kobasew was injured yesterday. Going to be evaluated. Doubt we'll see him on Wednesday.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
But the chica chee is what makes Max, Max.

I'm not really sure who I'd compare Megna to. I think he's quite different from Talbot though.

I'm really curious to see how he plays against Boston, I feel like a good game against them will help his chances to stick around longer.

In the sense that Max would be persistent in the pressure along the boards and him going to the net constantly. He just has that energy but he still has the skill too. He just needs to fill out a bit and he might just be a 3rd/2nd line tweener.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
+ Rookie Magna
+ 87, of course
+ Martin

- Adams messing up the 2-on-1. Congratz Einstein.
- Scuderi :cry:
- Kunitz...
- Scuderi :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad