Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Bruins 11/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

1) What has Spaling done to earn a cemented top-6 spot?
2) What have Adams and Scuderi done to earn cemented spots?
3) What does Beau Bennett have to do to earn a promotion?
4) Why is the comfort and success of Sutter paramount to the comfort and success of Crosby and Malkin?

Great that MJ is willing to change things up, but he's still making so many of the same mistakes that Bylsma made.

This is the big thing I have a problem with. That line will still produce if it is Spaling-Sutter-Downie, because it has produced in the past. I don't know what Bennett has to do to get put in the top-6. I'm not going to fret too much about Adams and Scuderi, Adams isn't even the worst forward on the team right now and Scuderi's play hasn't been bad this year. Spaling has also produced pretty well when in the top-6, but he shouldn't be there over Bennett. Give Malkin Kunitz and Bennett and give Sid Comeau and Hornqvist.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
4) Why is the comfort and success of Sutter paramount to the comfort and success of Crosby and Malkin?

Great that MJ is willing to change things up, but he's still making so many of the same mistakes that Bylsma made.

What has Sill done to earn an almost cemented spot? Seriously.

I think 3 and 4 are connected and possibly 1.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Agreed all around but I'll take his willingness to change things up as a positive.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What has Sill done to earn an almost cemented spot? Seriously.

I think 3 and 4 are connected and possibly 1.

Unfortunately, one of Spaling or Comeau has to play in the top 6 right now. But both shouldn't, not with Bennett healthy and playing well enough.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Comeau or Kunitz next to Crosby would have really made me reconsider watching the game - and now both are gone.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
there a plenty of things to continue to complain about. for now i'm going to be happy that a significant step was just made. there is a willingness to change things we had no reason to think would ever change after the last five years. the rest will come. this is a huge positive sign for this coaching staff

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm still going to hold out hope Megna will play over Sill tonight, when Borts replaced Despres there was no indication that was going to happen in morning skate.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think he just really likes that line. Hopefully Spaling and Comeau are just filling spots right now. One can go to Perron.:naughty:

Remember that MJ said he liked Geno's line as well. Turns out, not so much.

They absolutely had to split up Kunitz and Sid. Both were in a rut. Kudos to that.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Interesting. For the first time in six years a coach has been willing to consider tha 14 and 87 are not inseparable.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Going a bit off-topic, why can't our local media be competent enough to tell us which players are on which side? Mackey has Bennett at LW and Downie at RW, the Penguins Twitter account has Downie at LW and Bennett at RW. :shakehead

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I can kinda understand Johnston - that 3rd line was probably the nicest in these last few games. But if he can break up Kunitz and Crosby, I believe he will consider breaking up the 3rd if these lines don't work as expected.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I can kinda understand Johnston - that 3rd line was probably the nicest in these last few games. But if he can break up Kunitz and Crosby, I believe he can break up the 3rd if these lines don't work as expected.

He may yet have to. I don't think Comeau with Malkin will be much better than Comeau with Crosby.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Unfortunately, one of Spaling or Comeau has to play in the top 6 right now. But both shouldn't, not with Bennett healthy and playing well enough.

Sure, but there's also god damn Downie who can make a play... that might help in the top 6. Yet the 3rd line remains untouched. The only reason I can see is that they don't want to touch the 3rd line. The top 6 wing situation isn't working, try another winger instead of shuffling the same ones around.

Still so happy about Kunitz.

Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib
I, along with you, would really like to see Megna get a legit chance Tearing up AHL. Future or not? One way to find out.

Shots fired and a reporter with an opinion that isn't the equivalent of an ugly cry.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
He may yet have to. I don't think Comeau with Malkin will be much better than Comeau with Crosby.
At times, a Comeau - Malkin - Hornqvist line has looked better than Spaling - Malkin - Hornqvist. Granted, the sample size is small.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

I agree with all your points, but I'll take this as a step in the right direction. I didn't even expect this kind of change.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
I can kinda understand Johnston - that 3rd line was probably the nicest in these last few games. But if he can break up Kunitz and Crosby, I believe he will consider breaking up the 3rd if these lines don't work as expected.

Agreed. He's already switching up the top two scoring lines for tonight's game. Who knows if they work out well enough to continue forward or even to score tonight. For now, it's okay to have an established scoring line for tonight if the Crosby and Malkin lines are unable to produce tonight.

If they don't work out, Bennett and Sutter need to round out the top six if a trade isn't made in the not so distant future.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Agreed. He's already switching up the top two scoring lines for tonight's game. Who knows if they work out well enough to continue forward or even to score tonight. For now, it's okay to have an established scoring line for tonight if the Crosby and Malkin lines are unable to produce tonight.

If they don't work out, Bennett and Sutter need to round out the top six if a trade isn't made in the not so distant future.
If you're talking about putting Crosby and Malkin together, I do think that lineup could work in the interim. It's not a long-term solution, but it's better than seeing Crosby and Malkin struggle.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

Yeah, this. Like it or not, Johnston is generally very careful with his lineup decisions.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
I don't care how bad Kunitz is he will never be traded this year. In fact it would be dumb to. We are already short on depth why would we trade another forward? We need forwards. defensemen will be traded not forwards

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
5) I also don't think Kunitz going to Malkin's line is going to help anything. Malkin is every bit as susceptible to lazy players as Crosby is. Kunitz should see the press box for a game or two, not Malkin's line.

Right but moving Kunitz off of Crosby's line might be a wake up call for him. Or, at least that's my hope. Look we all have ideas of what we think the lines should be but at least Johnston seems willing to move the pieces around to some degree.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Is it perfect? No. But it's a step in the right direction, and that's the important thing. If Kunitz can be moved away from Sid, then anything is possible.

Now let's hope this move wakes Kunitz up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad