Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Petts

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jake is a massive part of Sid's production. For blokes to watch these games and ignore how much Sid relies on Jake to help him create and still act like he's somehow manifesting support for himself are idiots.

Sid can't generate offense like he used to but even with elite talent that he and Geno have, they still produce but require a better supporting cast. One gets it, the other doesn't and gets shit on like he's supposed to make it work because in their pea brained idiot minds they think Crosby is doing it all by his lonesome.

Jake is massive to Sid's production and vice versa. It's why Sullivan being so ignorant to Malkin's struggles while that's in plain view is beyond f***ing frustrating. A coach needs to see it and not throw more grinders on his line but someone that has offensive skill and has shown chemistry with Geno - like Puustinen.

Like I said if Sullivan is horned out with White on the second line then move Geno to wing, which is why he has more jump in this game, then throw White as the C and Puustinen on the RW. Let Rakell build momentum on the third line with Eller and Doc. Puustinen has been doing the right things with the dumbest minutes given to him and still keeps getting punished.
I've seen people mention that Puusy needs to show something first before he gets put with Malkin.

Motherf***ers, he did WHEN HE WAS WITH MALKIN. His production didn't just drop out of nowhere. It dropped when Rust came back and Puusy was dropped to L3 and his minutes were cut from 14 to 8.

In a game where they were usually trailing and he had a point, Puusy had 7min of ESTOI. Barely more than Harkins and significantly less than Acciari (13:53), Carter (11:26), and White (12:30). What have any of these guys shown to get more ice time?

This "you've got to show you're a good plug before you get more ice time!" standard that Sullivan has set is so incredibly frustrating. I'm not even that big of a Puusy fan boi, but why would you not go back to something that has shown to work for Colin f***ing White.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
From Molinari’s article this am…as I said, that ain’t happening outside of some magical EDM type run lol…best case is that they beat the Metro contenders for third place…they need a lower points % for that

“If the Penguins are to finish one point ahead of the Wings’ projected total — obviously, that figure is subject to change — they will have to earn 45 points over their remaining 36 games.

That would require them to go 22-13-1 (or its equivalent), which translates to a .625 winning percentage.”
Over the last 20 games, they have a .650 winning % (26 points out of a possible 40) at 11-5-4.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Over the last 20 games, they have a .650 winning % (26 points out of a possible 40) at 11-5-4.
Again, you have to include their hot December to do that…they came back to
Earth in January… last season they were hot and cold month to month and it got them out of the playoffs…can they go on some sustained .650 points % through the rest of the season? I doubt it unless they fire the coach…who are they under Sullivan? Terrible PP performers, hot and cold PK and goaltending and last in the league finishers…unless Jarry and Ned consistently outplay the opposing goalie through April, stretches of consistency they’ve never had, I just don’t like our chances…

Reactions: molon labe

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sully...dare I say....made adjustments? Props for finally trying - and keeping - Geno at wing. I'll take it, even with Eller....but man oh man make it happen with someone like Kadri or with Sid - and work on him floating to open areas vs floating to the puck and watch the magic happen. Dude can snipe still.

Petts continues to showcase. Reminds me of the underrated Dumo years. Dude is a damn fine defender and I'm happy (and relieved) he's ours. Great, great work - whomever - for getting him there.

Sid, bud. Love you.

Yeah, the team IS trying. Sully is the coach and obviously cares too. We give them all major shit (especially Duber) and it's usually warranted. If Sully is willing to adapt and can be open to some physicality on the roster....we can be winners again. I'll talk roster on the roster thread but this game was nice to watch. They all looked like they were really, really trying. Sully made adjustments - we just CLEARLY (as has been the case for years) - don't have the right pieces out there. Changes need made.

Again, you have to include their hot December to do that…they came back to
Earth in January… last season they were hot and cold month to month and it got them out of the playoffs…can they go on some sustained .650 points % through the rest of the season? I doubt it unless they fire the coach…who are they under Sullivan? Terrible PP performers, hot and cold PK and goaltending and last in the league finishers…unless Jarry and Ned consistently outplay the opposing goalie through April, stretches of consistency they’ve never had, I just don’t like our chances…

*** Whistles also get fewer and fewer as the season goes on.

....so even if the power play magically came together (I don't see it - they don't have the net front nor the lightening fast passes to be a successful NHL unit) - we gotta recognize that it might be 1-2 per game after the TDL. So there's still gonna be games without a goal there. Where is this offense coming from? Been the question all along.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sully...dare I say....made adjustments? Props for finally trying - and keeping - Geno at wing. I'll take it, even with Eller....but man oh man make it happen with someone like Kadri or with Sid - and work on him floating to open areas vs floating to the puck and watch the magic happen. Dude can snipe still.

Petts continues to showcase. Reminds me of the underrated Dumo years. Dude is a damn fine defender and I'm happy (and relieved) he's ours. Great, great work - whomever - for getting him there.

Sid, bud. Love you.

Yeah, the team IS trying. Sully is the coach and obviously cares too. We give them all major shit (especially Duber) and it's usually warranted. If Sully is willing to adapt and can be open to some physicality on the roster....we can be winners again. I'll talk roster on the roster thread but this game was nice to watch. They all looked like they were really, really trying. Sully made adjustments - we just CLEARLY (as has been the case for years) - don't have the right pieces out there. Changes need made.
It isn’t scary to you that they were really
really trying and they barely beat MTL? lol… I mean we’re not talking about a playoff team here

Reactions: vodeni

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It isn’t scary to you that they were really
really trying and they barely beat MTL? lol… I mean we’re not talking about a playoff team here

Certainly. They need more offense. Been saying it for a few seasons.

Was assured that EK would drag up the likes of Acciari. Was assured Smith wasn't Zucker 2.0 and was offensively talented. Was assured the same old turd roster construction gift-wrapped in a different color would net different results.

At this point it's why I'm going to continue harping on more scoring threats. If the pp came together to even be a 18% unit or something - AND we had more than 1 line that could score a goal regularly - we could be a WC team. That's it. That seems like a monumental ask from Kyle Dubas who makes an appearance at the big club for the first time seemingly since October and doesn't give a shit how the results are so long as we trust the process.

But here I am - asking for at least ONE piece on the 2nd line. That way I can watch Sid -maybe- pad his playoff stats again a little bit. But yeah by no means do I think we win more than 2 games in the first round against any team even with Kadri. Team needs 2-3 moves for that and very likely a new coach. But we know Kyle will keep Sully. So cross that off. We know he's gonna make like 1 roster move (right?) and then like 1 shitty depth pickup and wash his hands and go back to watching high school hockey. They don't care anymore.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Certainly. They need more offense. Been saying it for a few seasons.

Was assured that EK would drag up the likes of Acciari. Was assured Smith wasn't Zucker 2.0 and was offensively talented. Was assured the same old turd roster construction gift-wrapped in a different color would net different results.

At this point it's why I'm going to continue harping on more scoring threats. If the pp came together to even be a 18% unit or something - AND we had more than 1 line that could score a goal regularly - we could be a WC team. That's it. That seems like a monumental ask from Kyle Dubas who makes an appearance at the big club for the first time seemingly since October and doesn't give a shit how the results are so long as we trust the process.

But here I am - asking for at least ONE piece on the 2nd line. That way I can watch Sid -maybe- pad his playoff stats again a little bit. But yeah by no means do I think we win more than 2 games in the first round against any team even with Kadri. Team needs 2-3 moves for that and very likely a new coach. But we know Kyle will keep Sully. So cross that off. We know he's gonna make like 1 roster move (right?) and then like 1 shitty depth pickup and wash his hands and go back to watching high school hockey. They don't care anymore.
Sure we need another sniper or two, but part of offense’s problem is Sullivan hockey and how he wants them to play…guarantee if he gets fired and right coach hired, we’d see way better scoring results

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sure we need another sniper or two, but part of offense’s problem is Sullivan hockey and how he wants them to play…guarantee if he gets fired and right coach hired, we’d see way better scoring results

The problem I have with this is that our single biggest problem is consistency in L2 scoring. I don't see L2 being what-so-ever Sullivanized. It looks like a giant pile of shit most nights without any structure at all.

So I continue to NOT blame Sullivan for top-6 production.

However, yes, a different coach who's allowed to have different players in the system (players that play hockey physically, for instance, or with an edge) would probably get a hell of a lot more from the bottom 6. But top 6? That's on roster construction and the fact we still have been relying on 6M 37 yo Geno to center a top 6 line and not use him to his strengths.

We're a 1 line team not entirely because of Sullivan. It's the Sullivan/GM marriage and roster construction. Let's just have GCR and a bunch of offensive black holes out there and have Geno fend for himself. What a game plan Penguins FO. Slow applause.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
IMG_5794.gif

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The problem I have with this is that our single biggest problem is consistency in L2 scoring. I don't see L2 being what-so-ever Sullivanized. It looks like a giant pile of shit most nights without any structure at all.

So I continue to NOT blame Sullivan for top-6 production.

However, yes, a different coach who's allowed to have different players in the system (players that play hockey physically, for instance, or with an edge) would probably get a hell of a lot more from the bottom 6. But top 6? That's on roster construction and the fact we still have been relying on 6M 37 yo Geno to center a top 6 line and not use him to his strengths.

We're a 1 line team not entirely because of Sullivan. It's the Sullivan/GM marriage and roster construction. Let's just have GCR and a bunch of offensive black holes out there and have Geno fend for himself. What a game plan Penguins FO. Slow applause.
Puusy had 6 points in 9 games playing with Malkin and instead Sullivan played Colin White on Geno's line. How is that not Sullivanizing L2?

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
That Crosby spin-o-rama assist was some vintage shit.

Absolutely -- if that's really what it was. Surely someone asked Sid about that play after the game, and if he was being honest he might have said "Do you schmucks REALLY think I have eyes in the back of my head? Well OK, but I was just trying to get the puck on net there".

Either way, we'll take it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Wings have been as streaky if not streakier than the Pens have been. They are on a hot streak right now so it looks good for them. Look at it 2 weeks ago and not so much.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Absolutely -- if that's really what it was. Surely someone asked Sid about that play after the game, and if he was being honest he might have said "Do you schmucks REALLY think I have eyes in the back of my head? Well OK, but I was just trying to get the puck on net there".

I tend to think players of Crosby's caliber at least have a good idea of how that play is developing and where to put the puck. His on-ice awareness is pretty insane.

But yeah I mean... plenty of beauty plays could well just be "I need to throw the puck towards the net, here."

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I think the spinorama pass was very nice and a great thought, but that was very much a "hit and hope" type of spinorama. Both Rust and Jake were going to the net, it wasn't even clear who it was intended for. Multiple Canadiens could have also stopped it and failed.

Like, credit to him that it went in but it was extremely lucky.

Sid has great instincts for risk/reward plays and the ability to execute which is part of why he has still been amazing this year. But the deflection and hand-eye goals and the no-look passes where it's unequivocally clear what he's trying to do are more impressive than that goal. Nice goal/pass though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also also the OT winner is a perfect example as to why I really scratch my head when people say secondary assists are "stupid." And no... has nothing to do with who it was. Coulda been Jeff Carter AFAIC.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Puusy had 6 points in 9 games playing with Malkin and instead Sullivan played Colin White on Geno's line. How is that not Sullivanizing L2?

Both can be true here - but I'll agree with your point.

Even when Puustinen was on L2 they were not very good. They were better than the likes of Smith and Rakell out there doing nothing and looking lost - but they weren't a competitive top 6 line in hockey.

But the point of taking a glimmer of hope for someone who literally does nothing for Geno is a true one, and yes - is Sullivanizing it. But by and large the top 6 on the Pens get to do whatever the hell they want and have so for the entire time (basically) that they've been here.

Sid didn't like playing with Hornqvist so he'd get bumped down. But, Hornqvist was amazing with Sid and really kept plays alive. I prefered that type of Sid line to the GCR we see today where it's basically flashy chance or no chance at all. Geno by all accounts get the scraps left over - and for so many years anyone who actually watches the game and not the Matrix code behind it could see what Geno could use but we still go out and get 8 pieces that might work with Sid instead of ONE that WILL work with Geno. The irony is that Sid makes almost anyone work with him...but we chase a BETTER version. What we've never chased is anyone that helps Geno. The front office insists he needs these defensively responsible (lol Rakell Smith) forwards to keep his line churning when reality is Tarasenko was there for the taking and we let him slip for Zucker 2.0. The reality is Alex Radulov was a prime piece for Malkins' line years ago but God for freaking bid this team have anyone on it that plays with an edge. The right way of vanilla beans out there asking the coach how they can chip pucks deep better.

Digressing....we need to shift Geno to wing semi-permanently and really get someone like (I know he may not be available) Kadri in there.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Both can be true here - but I'll agree with your point.

Even when Puustinen was on L2 they were not very good. They were better than the likes of Smith and Rakell out there doing nothing and looking lost - but they weren't a competitive top 6 line in hockey.

But the point of taking a glimmer of hope for someone who literally does nothing for Geno is a true one, and yes - is Sullivanizing it. But by and large the top 6 on the Pens get to do whatever the hell they want and have so for the entire time (basically) that they've been here.

Sid didn't like playing with Hornqvist so he'd get bumped down. But, Hornqvist was amazing with Sid and really kept plays alive. I prefered that type of Sid line to the GCR we see today where it's basically flashy chance or no chance at all. Geno by all accounts get the scraps left over - and for so many years anyone who actually watches the game and not the Matrix code behind it could see what Geno could use but we still go out and get 8 pieces that might work with Sid instead of ONE that WILL work with Geno. The irony is that Sid makes almost anyone work with him...but we chase a BETTER version. What we've never chased is anyone that helps Geno. The front office insists he needs these defensively responsible (lol Rakell Smith) forwards to keep his line churning when reality is Tarasenko was there for the taking and we let him slip for Zucker 2.0. The reality is Alex Radulov was a prime piece for Malkins' line years ago but God for freaking bid this team have anyone on it that plays with an edge. The right way of vanilla beans out there asking the coach how they can chip pucks deep better.

Digressing....we need to shift Geno to wing semi-permanently and really get someone like (I know he may not be available) Kadri in there.
I agree they don't understand what Malkin needs. I said the other day that I would gladly trade in 2 of Rust, Rakell, and Smith for 1 Reinhart (or Tarasenko or any other number of offensively talented wingers who can score goals).

But I will push back again on L2 with Geno and Puusy. Puusy had 6 in 9 and was a +2 and Malkin had 10 and was a +3 in that stretch. Those are very good numbers for a second line. Whether it would have continued like that is a fair question to ask, but they were successful and it stopped because of a coaching decision.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It is hilarious that Geno made an amazing play in 3v3 and there is no hate.

I missed the game because, while old, I'm not yet dead and it was a Saturday night. Only caught the highlights.

Was he awful again all game prior to that? I guess he was on the wing which is right idea wrong players. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno on wing is a good idea if we have Elias Lindholm as 2C lol…as it is, double shifting Geno and Eller shouldn’t happen and playing them both doesn’t make for a good scoring L2…we’re a one line team with a bunch of bottom sixers… not conducive to winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad