• Petts

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I missed the game because, while old, I'm not yet dead and it was a Saturday night. Only caught the highlights.

Was he awful again all game prior to that? I guess he was on the wing which is right idea wrong players. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
Geno on wing can not be on and off thing. Eller was confused just about every shift where to go and what to do, but they still looked miles better than previous incarnations, Eller has this ability to slow down opponent that works perfectly for Geno. Geno was very good last night. His shot mostly wristers are not good, he had 3-4 great looks straight into the pads, for some reason he can't elevate that puck...Anyways, he eas fluing especially last 30 minutes, and playing really well, they were creating and having a ton of offensive zone time. The only issue I had was Rakell is so bad now, I'd put Puustinen up there with them, but that won't happen..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno on wing can not be on and off thing. Eller was confused just about every shift where to go and what to do, but they still looked miles better than previous incarnations, Eller has this ability to slow down opponent that works perfectly for Geno. Geno was very good last night. His shot mostly wristers are not good, he had 3-4 great looks straight into the pads, for some reason he can't elevate that puck...Anyways, he eas fluing especially last 30 minutes, and playing really well, they were creating and having a ton of offensive zone time. The only issue I had was Rakell is so bad now, I'd put Puustinen up there with them, but that won't happen..
Geno doesn’t have enough flex in his blade to be a shooter on the line…Geno and Eller aren’t good enough either to be a top six line without a really good player playing RW, someone like Pastrnak lol

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Didn’t watch much recently. Is 71 getting like half his shifts at wing, or is it spot duty?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I missed the game because, while old, I'm not yet dead and it was a Saturday night. Only caught the highlights.

Was he awful again all game prior to that? I guess he was on the wing which is right idea wrong players. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
No, he was good at ES. No end product but his line had hop pre and post winger move.

Karlsson single-handedly killed PP2. Not much Geno could have done there.

Didn’t watch much recently. Is 71 getting like half his shifts at wing, or is it spot duty?

I think it was mostly to get Eller more shifts when chasing the game, since he scored and looked REALLY good all game. But I'd be surprised if we don't see more Malkin-Eller going forward.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No, he was good at ES. No end product but his line had hop pre and post winger move.

Karlsson single-handedly killed PP2. Not much Geno could have done there.

I think it was mostly to get Eller more shifts when chasing the game, since he scored and looked REALLY good all game. But I'd be surprised if we don't see more Malkin-Eller going forward.
Again, no problem with Geno and spot duty on L3….the problem is we don’t have a L2 lol, at least one that is any threat to score…without that, we’re doomed

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Also if most anyone else on the team had sprung that OT winner 2 on 1 with a backcheck aside from Malkin the likes of Yohe etc. would still be wetting their pants over it today.

That Crosby spin-o-rama assist was some vintage shit.
The thing is the east sucks so even though we suck we might just suck enough less to actually grab a playoff spot.

Might

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Again, no problem with Geno and spot duty on L3….the problem is we don’t have a L2 lol, at least one that is any threat to score…without that, we’re doomed
I would give Malkin-Eller-Rakell/Puustinen a shot as an L2. Not sure who takes 3C (O'Connor? Poulin?) but IMO Eller is a better player than any winger we have that isn't on the top line already. So I guess this counts as "loading up" L2.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would give Malkin-Eller-Rakell/Puustinen a shot as an L2. Not sure who takes 3C (O'Connor? Poulin?) but IMO Eller is a better player than any winger we have that isn't on the top line already. So I guess this counts as "loading up" L2.
Eller has been solid for us but he’s been playing against lesser competition…I don’t us generating enough with him and Geno and someone else on L2 who’s already on the roster…not to mention we end up with two fourth lines for our bottom six…the idea is to be able to roll four lines with scoring threats or we aren’t going to win a P.O. round if we get there

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Eller has ability slow game down and create little bit space for Malkin. No winger other than Jake has ability to do that. Of course it was lowly MTL lets see if they can do anything against serious team

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've seen people mention that Puusy needs to show something first before he gets put with Malkin.

Motherf***ers, he did WHEN HE WAS WITH MALKIN. His production didn't just drop out of nowhere. It dropped when Rust came back and Puusy was dropped to L3 and his minutes were cut from 14 to 8.

In a game where they were usually trailing and he had a point, Puusy had 7min of ESTOI. Barely more than Harkins and significantly less than Acciari (13:53), Carter (11:26), and White (12:30). What have any of these guys shown to get more ice time?

This "you've got to show you're a good plug before you get more ice time!" standard that Sullivan has set is so incredibly frustrating. I'm not even that big of a Puusy fan boi, but why would you not go back to something that has shown to work for Colin f***ing White.
His production per minute is of the highest on the f***ing roster. There's literally no metric that backs Sullivan's usage of him on the third line and with the shitty minutes he's getting.

So when Sully is asked why they can't score as often and no one mentions that, it shows me those f***s do zero research, surface level kid gloves bs so Sully can act like he's being done dirty again.

Keep my footwear out yo f’n mouth!
View attachment 812144

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Eller has been solid for us but he’s been playing against lesser competition…I don’t us generating enough with him and Geno and someone else on L2 who’s already on the roster…not to mention we end up with two fourth lines for our bottom six…the idea is to be able to roll four lines with scoring threats or we aren’t going to win a P.O. round if we get there

Let's see if the team can justify adding at the deadline.
Need to prove they have the mettle to win some games first and get the PP% up. Then, sure, we can add.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let's see if the team can justify adding at the deadline.
Need to prove they have the mettle to win some games first and get the PP% up. Then, sure, we can add.
Until then, I think they have to keep Geno as L2 center with occasional wing duty on L3 to make up for his lack of PP time

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Agree, Eller-Malkin (regardless of who is the C) is not the answer to the L2 issues. The answer can only be acquired via trading for a legitimate top 6 forward.

Reactions: Andy99

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It'd be nice to bring up Poulin and test him in a 4C / 3C capacity to see If we could do something like that...

You know bring up the promising young guy who is hungry and may be better than some players on the roster right now...

Reactions: Andy99

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
It's because of the incentives to make it a 3 point game. Teams stop trying to score in the last 5-10 in the 3rd. The league needs to fix this.

The funniest thing is this was done to open up the overtime, so teams stopped "playing to protect the point." Seems those of us who said it would simply shift that style of play to late in the 3rd may have had a point after all.

Need to go 3-2-1-0 but league will never do that. Need to maintain the fiction everyone can make the playoffs.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
The funniest thing is this was done to open up the overtime, so teams stopped "playing to protect the point." Seems those of us who said it would simply shift that style of play to late in the 3rd may have had a point after all.

Need to go 3-2-1-0 but league will never do that. Need to maintain the fiction everyone can make the playoffs.
I kind of like what NBA is doing with top 6 in conference get in, then 7-10 play a mini tournament to get next 2 teams in.

We must change points system though, in any case

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It'll never happen, but I wish they'd penalize teams that intentionally circle back in that garbage looping shit in OT.

In all seriousness; eliminate shootouts, go to 10 minute 3-on-3 OT, and add a rule that teams that intentionally exit the offensive zone or wheel back intentionally get a delay of game or something. The addition of 3-on-3 should be the most exciting thing in hockey and wayyyy too often teams just use it as a 5 minute skate around while they kill time to get to the shootout--which is f***ing awful. As played out and boring as outdoor games anymore. Shootouts are traaaaaash.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
It'll never happen, but I wish they'd penalize teams that intentionally circle back in that garbage looping shit in OT.

In all seriousness; eliminate shootouts, go to 10 minute 3-on-3 OT, and add a rule that teams that intentionally exit the offensive zone or wheel back intentionally get a delay of game or something. The addition of 3-on-3 should be the most exciting thing in hockey and wayyyy too often teams just use it as a 5 minute skate around while they kill time to get to the shootout--which is f***ing awful. As played out and boring as outdoor games anymore. Shootouts are traaaaaash.

Go back to 4-on-4 then. BUt the points need to be changed first. Make it worthwhile to go for the win.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Proposed something similar in some main boards thread about rule changes. Everyone whines so damn hard about replays...which, genuinely I don't get - but the circling back in 3 on 3 has been disastrous for what should have been exciting overtimes. The entire premise was to swiftly end the game while giving fans something to not groan about in the regular season.

It could be red-line crossing is delay of game. It could be 1 line change per possession. I don't care. But the endless leaving the zone NEEDS to stop.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Proposed something similar in some main boards thread about rule changes. Everyone whines so damn hard about replays...which, genuinely I don't get - but the circling back in 3 on 3 has been disastrous for what should have been exciting overtimes. The entire premise was to swiftly end the game while giving fans something to not groan about in the regular season.

It could be red-line crossing is delay of game. It could be 1 line change per possession. I don't care. But the endless leaving the zone NEEDS to stop.
If they want possession, they can chase the puck (or the man).
Penguins are a disaster in OT no matter what rules you enact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad