Post-Game Talk: Pens beat Rangers: Sid racking up more points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
You guys are setting yourself up for heart break when they lose tomorrow.
Yup, not blowing a 3rd period multi-goal lead for once is all the goodwill they're gonna get from the hockey gods.

Great stuff Sid! I can see a scenario they will get to the point where they control their playoff destiny with like 2 games remaining and lose in an embarrassing fashion. Sid will then proceed to use his jock strap to strangle Sullivan.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's like Sid thought he was at risk of his PPG season streak ending and turned the switch. Completely elevated offensive level the last five games.

Karl was real solid defensively tonight. Made four or five nice breakups with the stick. A lot of people might think he would be forcing offense since he entered on a 6-game pointless streak but he just played a simple, effective game without the puck. Like I've said all year, the point totals indicate he's had a bad year but he has had a pretty decent one overall - just not a typical Karlsson season. Sometimes he isn't even really playing like Erik Karlsson. I'm positive Sullivan has just told him to play a simple game focusing more on defense which to his credit he has. He's only 0.4 defensive point share behind Pettersson which seems strange but does back up what I've seen that he has had a steady consistent year without the puck. I have many problems with Sullivan but his systems and structure has gotten a lot of good out of EK defensively.

At the same time, The Pens have scored 28 straight goals without him on the scoresheet and that's just unlikely for a guy playing 20 minutes even strength every game, no matter how he is playing. I think if we replayed this season ten times over, this might be his lowest point total, because although he hasn't always been as sharp as in years past with his passing and shot, there has been a lot of bad luck/poor finishing this season. Tonight he barely got the puck in the o-zone, but they didn't have that much zone time. I have noticed this year teams usually have a forward shading on him quite close - I guess that's what happens when you come off a 101 point season from the back end. That has definitely effected the amount of times they go back to him at the point, and it usually has given Pettersson or Graves more room on the other side.

I don't know why that interference call was made - Trouba's stick was right in his way, no attempt was made to pick it up ... is he supposed to let it stay there to block a pass his way? A few weeks ago against San Jose Carter cleared Justin Bailey's stick right before he scored, and Bailey was trailing him about to pick up the stick.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's like Sid thought he was at risk of his PPG season streak ending and turned the switch. Completely elevated offensive level the last five games.

Karl was real solid defensively tonight. Made four or five nice breakups with the stick. A lot of people might think he would be forcing offense since he entered on a 6-game pointless streak but he just played a simple, effective game without the puck. Like I've said all year, the point totals indicate he's had a bad year but he has had a pretty decent one overall - just not a typical Karlsson season. Sometimes he isn't even really playing like Erik Karlsson. I'm positive Sullivan has just told him to play a simple game focusing more on defense which to his credit he has. He's only 0.4 defensive point share behind Pettersson which seems strange but does back up what I've seen that he has had a steady consistent year without the puck. I have many problems with Sullivan but his systems and structure has gotten a lot of good out of EK defensively.

At the same time, The Pens have scored 28 straight goals without him on the scoresheet and that's just unlikely for a guy playing 20 minutes even strength every game, no matter how he is playing. I think if we replayed this season ten times over, this might be his lowest point total, because although he hasn't always been as sharp as in years past with his passing and shot, there has been a lot of bad luck/poor finishing this season. Tonight he barely got the puck in the o-zone, but they didn't have that much zone time. I have noticed this year teams usually have a forward shading on him quite close - I guess that's what happens when you come off a 101 point season from the back end. That has definitely effected the amount of times they go back to him at the point, and it usually has given Pettersson or Graves more room on the other side.

I don't know why that interference call was made - Trouba's stick was right in his way, no attempt was made to pick it up ... is he supposed to let it stay there to block a pass his way? A few weeks ago against San Jose Carter cleared Justin Bailey's stick right before he scored, and Bailey was trailing him about to pick up the stick.
He should have shoveled it towards the boards and not out of the zone which I believe is what triggered the penalty call.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
If I'd told you in 2005 that Crosby would be a point per game player on the Penguins in 2024...

What if I told you that this franchise could have been not just a dynasty but an empire during his career if not for impotent coaching and incompetent front office decisions? Too many times have we fallen victim to the classic blunders...

Still he has had an all time great career among all professional athletes in any sport.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It is frustrating that the team isn’t comfortably in the playoffs. Dubas and Sully/Reirden pissed away this season.

If only we had a competent front office and decent coaching, we’d be in.
I'm so annoyed at Dubas for sitting on his hands all year. This was easily a playoff team with a couple of tweaks and injection of youth .

Reactions: Ignatius and Pens x

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What if I told you that this franchise could have been not just a dynasty but an empire during his career if not for impotent coaching and incompetent front office decisions? Too many times have we fallen victim to the classic blunders...

Still he has had an all time great career among all professional athletes in any sport.
Ahh..they did ok. Look at the pair in Edmonton. Supposedly better than our two but they haven’t won shit and can’t seem to lead their own lines for any length of time or when it matters.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sid technically needs one more point for the record, right? It’s consecutive seasons above a ppg?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Sad thing is that, despite being a poorly-coached team isn't very good, if they just don't blow a 4-goal lead in Colorado and a late 2-goal lead in Columbus in the last 10 days, they'd be really playing for something tonight. That's way more a commentary on the fact that the East is a total dumpster fire after the top 5-6 teams (depending on how you view TB) than it is the Pens, but there's no excuse for this team not making the playoffs in this field.

Reactions: Sideline

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
It's nice to finally be the trap team instead of getting everyone's best game night in and night out.
It also helps that Sid has gone Super Saiyan at the moment.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Beating those jagoffs, in their barn, never gets old.

I want to win out because I hate losing to any of the teams left on our schedule and it's so much more fun winning. Win out and give SJ the pick this year.

View attachment 844840

I really hate losing within our division....so get 3 W's
TB - f*** that cheating organization and all their self entitled pricks of a fanbase.
TOR - Stick it up their asses like they do when the game is in Pittsburgh.
DET - I don't really have any hate for this team, but they are in our way.
BOS - Bunch of massholes.
NSH - f***ing hicks, their dumbass chants during the game and for erecting a Rinne statue.
I agree with giving the pick this year, and move on. It's not like it's a great draft year anyways.

What sucks is we had almost the worst possible outcome, in terms of points:
Islanders won in OT against flyers, so 3 point game.
Red Wings also won.

So ultimately everybody gained 1 point on the Flyers, and "potentially" 2 points on the Capitals.

Between...
Flyers/Capitals/Devils/Sabres/Penguins/Islanders...
Head to head matches:
Caps - 5
Devils - 2
Flyers - 4
Isles - 3
Pens - 4
Wings - 3
Sabres - 4

We really need to win our head/head matches.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Ahh..they did ok. Look at the pair in Edmonton. Supposedly better than our two but they haven’t won shit and can’t seem to lead their own lines for any length of time or when it matters.

I don't want to come across as being overly critical as I've seen the Penguins win five Stanley Cups in my lifetime and they are arguably, if not undoubtedly, the greatest franchise in hockey during my lifetime which has spanned both the entirety of the Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby eras.

Reactions: canadianguy77

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Great game by Sid. I would absolutely love for him to hit 40 goals and 90pts this year and he's more than capable of 8pt and 3g in his last 8 games. 1000 assists almost seems like a lock. 1600pts may be a stretch. But man, what a gift.

I'll repeat what I've said the last couple games:

This roster has proved that it can compete with the best teams in the league. The fact they do so inconsistently game in and game out, is 100% on coaching. Nothing will change unless there is a change.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The Sharks have a PP that is more than 40% more efficient than ours. Read that again. More than 40%. The freaking San Jose Sharks.

Or to put it another way, if our PP were merely as good as that of one of the weakest NHL rosters in recent memory, we would be in a playoff spot right now. Yeah, the race for the final spots in the East is a joke this year but it sure puts into perspective the claims that the teams struggles only because the roster isn't good enough.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

holy f***.

i'm on the Dubas train guys.

I've read the tweet multiple times and I've got to be honest. I don't know what point that Evolving Wild guy is trying to make?

Sid's at 82 points. The "record" they're referring to is 19 straight years where Sid's points are equal to or better than his games played. So no matter what Sid does the rest of the year, he's already reached the threshold.

Like, why would the Pens have to sit Sid the rest of the year in order to reach 19 straight seasons of a point per game? That's something you'd say if Sid currently had 74 points in 74 games.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'd like to see Geno hit 500 before the season's out...

So would I. However:

- He looks like utter shit for 90% of games at this point
- This is compounded by having the mixture of linemates he's had. (I like Bunting there...but there's just no chemistry yet).

Whether you feel his game translates or not - Geno has two options going forward imo. He shifts full-time to wing in the top 6, or he shifts to an offensive 3C (requires a new system) that gets limited minutes. Dude just doesn't have the legs to follow the creativity anymore to create any sort of space out there. He needs someone else creating the space for him and maybe just hammering one timers or wristers occasionally in the slot.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad