Post-Game Talk: Pens beat flyers 7-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I would be happy to find a way for us to play like this more often, even if we lose that game more often than not because it was fun to watch, even with the heart-attacks and dropping the lead and clawing back.

That's what's frustrating about watching us drop multiple games like 2-1 or 1-0 over the course of the season and largely because of the PP-- if we're gonna lose, I wanna see us lose while running up the core's numbers. :laugh:
There were moments where I thought to myself "this feels like a playoff game" but I think it was more the excitement of 2 goalies playing like absolute ass and hits actually being thrown for once.

16-8-3 required from here, more or less.
We've had 25 game runs like that pretty much every single season with 87+71+58. No reason we can't do it again.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Those saying Sid is that much further behind than the "elite" players in the game today unfortunately need to be reminded of the Pens 30th ranked Powerplay which nobody can explain.

If they rank even in the top 3rd of the league all of ours stars have quite a few padded points and all this playoff talk isn't even in question.

Sid IS ELITE

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Watching Graves out there trying to protect the lead with seconds to go wasn't good for my health, I will tell you that. Neither was seeing Carter with more ice time than Malkin.

A rare occasion of the Penguins feasting on a terrible goalie (first time they have scored more than 4 this year, if I am not mistaken) but playing down to the level of their opponents is one of the big reason they are in the predicament they are now. This was the kind of a game that had no business going down to the wire and yet it happened. If it's not the offense going dry it will be the goalie or the defense handing out free goals like candy on Halloween. It's nice seeing Sid being great, Rakell and the PP scoring but I am not getting excited until they do something like that against an actual NHL goalie.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Still bizarre to start a goalie that hasn't been good vs the Flyers and sitting the one that has been amazing vs them.

Pens hadn't played in a few days so, Ned would have been fine. That's the typical ignorance by this coach. He will match goalies to teams they're good against and then seemingly not at all. Not sure what the plan was, assuming this ignorant twat of a coach actually plans, to go this route.

Ned is down right elite vs the Flyers yet they sat him for Jarry who has been pedestrian vs the Flyers.

If I throw my jersey on the ice in Vancouver, will it get Mike Sullivan fired? It worked the other way last time for the Canucks. I can try Tuesday.

I hate Sully, but I can see his justification in net:

- Ned just came off an abysmal performance
- Jarry has been decent lately

Sometimes it's more about having a hot hand vs oppositional success

What my fear is that Sully didn't learn anything from this and he'll play Jarry again vs Philly

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I got Fubo which has basically all sports except no Turner (TNT/TBS). So Pens games on TNT are either "go to a bar" or "nope" for me.

Thinking of switching back to regular cable. I'd be over the moon if FSG did a $30/month for Pirates/Pens deal with Sportsnet like they did with NESN in Boston.

Lots of streaming options. PM if you need links

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think it just proves Rakell despite his cold streak this year has been a pretty damn good top six forward most of his time here.

Rak is an excellent 3rd wheel. But he's certainly not a play driver that Sid/Geno will need in their later years.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Watching Graves out there trying to protect the lead with seconds to go wasn't good for my health, I will tell you that. Neither was seeing Carter with more ice time than Malkin.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'd rather have last year's Dumo vs Graves. It's like watching a Pee Wee hockey...always gravitating towards the puck vs staying in your area. He's flat out atrocious

Reactions: BillPrep

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Those saying Sid is that much further behind than the "elite" players in the game today unfortunately need to be reminded of the Pens 30th ranked Powerplay which nobody can explain.

If they rank even in the top 3rd of the league all of ours stars have quite a few padded points and all this playoff talk isn't even in question.

Sid IS ELITE
Indeed.

They've had 175 PPs this season. If they were converting at league average of 22%, that would be an extra 10 or so goals. That would put him up at 65pt in 53 GP or so which puts him at 1.22 PPG. That's top 15 against 14 guys who are NOT 36.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
There is some talk in this thread about Crosby's scoring as compared to Kucherov, McDavid, MacKinnon, etc. The fact of the matter is Sid is past his prime. He doesn't score like he used to, and he isn't as fast as he used to be. In all likelihood he's less than half a decade from retirement. But with all that said, he is still a remarkable player who has managed to make up for age-related decline by playing to his strengths. The guy still takes over games and controls play with the best of them even if he isn't putting up a zillion points in the process.

It remains to be seen how well guys like McDavid will adjust when their speed, strength and recovery time start to slip with age. I am sure they'll be asking Crosby for advice when it happens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Of course I miss THIS one.

I see that despite a high scoring affair Malkin was a plus player and managed another primary assist. Was he really THAT miserable?

Beginning to wonder if he hits 20 this year, though. Dude needs a confidence boost. I don't think he should ever go up on the point again for either powerplay but SURELY any sane coaching staff would find a spot for him on the top unit somewhere else as opposed to Lars Eller, right?

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

A rare occasion of the Penguins feasting on a terrible goalie (first time they have scored more than 4 this year, if I am not mistaken) but playing down to the level of their opponents is one of the big reason they are in the predicament they are now. This was the kind of a game that had no business going down to the wire and yet it happened. If it's not the offense going dry it will be the goalie or the defense handing out free goals like candy on Halloween. It's nice seeing Sid being great, Rakell and the PP scoring but I am not getting excited until they do something like that against an actual NHL goalie.
Graves sucks and has been our worst dman, but last night he made the play at the end that saved our win, so gotta be happy that he was there :)

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
As opposed to Sid having 89 points those years.
89 in 75 in 16/17. 97 point pace in comparison to McDavid's 100. At 29 after multiple career threatening injuries. Look If you think McDavid is a better player than Crosby that's fine but I will always maintain that the gap between them is exaggerated by how many years Sid lost to injury. He simply could not stay healthy enough to rack up the awards. Their careers up until year 6 when Crosby had the concussion are eerily similar. They literally hit 500 points in the exact same amount of games. I can break it down year by year if necessary, I have followed both of their careers very closely being a huge fan of both of them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
89 in 75 in 16/17. 97 point pace in comparison to McDavid's 100. At 29 after multiple career threatening injuries. Look If you think McDavid is a better player than Crosby that's fine but I will always maintain that the gap between them is exaggerated by how many years Sid lost to injury. He simply could not stay healthy enough to rack up the awards. Their careers up until year 6 when Crosby had the concussion are eerily similar. They literally hit 500 points in the exact same amount of games. I can break it down year by year if necessary, I have followed both of their careers very closely being a huge fan of both of them.
I don't think the gap is THAT big, but McDavid has a bit better offensive Acumen. Sid gets a decisive edge in overall play like say a Bergeron would, but in terms of scoring McDavid of the two has an edge. And yes I've followed both myself.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
One play that grinded my gears by Geno was in the 2nd. He was in front of the net, DOC gets the puck at the dot wide open. Geno instantly goes behind the net. Taking away a screen/deflection or any offensive threat option. I don’t know it he was thinking give and go but sometimes just do the simple thing. Ended up with one of the only easy saves for Petersen all day since he had a perfect view.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno is just not looking to score and I don’t know why…I mean on DOC’s goal he had an easy opportunity to snipe one and just looked to make a short pass to DOC…don’t understand it… but zero shots on goal last night against a terrible Petersen is embarrassing

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Geno is just not looking to score and I don’t know why…I mean on DOC’s goal he had an easy opportunity to snipe one and just looked to make a short pass to DOC…don’t understand it… but zero shots on goal last night against a terrible Petersen is embarrassing

This is all fair. But it's also pretty obvious that he's been instructed to play an extremely conservative game. It's helping him in some ways but equally hindering him in others I think. The lack of shooting is a straight up confidence issue and frankly they aren't doing much to help him work out of that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is all fair. But it's also pretty obvious that he's been instructed to play an extremely conservative game. It's helping him in some ways but equally hindering him in others I think. The lack of shooting is a straight up confidence issue and frankly they aren't doing much to help him work out of that.
Yes that’s why I suggested giving him a shot w Sid if Rust is out..

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
I think it just proves Rakell despite his cold streak this year has been a pretty damn good top six forward most of his time here.
I have no problem with Raks and Eller staying.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'd rather have last year's Dumo vs Graves. It's like watching a Pee Wee hockey...always gravitating towards the puck vs staying in your area. He's flat out atrocious
That's would be an easy decision. Graves is terrible period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad