Post-Game Talk: Pens beat flyers 7-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Best Pens performance from top to bottom in months. Flyers had zero business anywhere near a tie game. If both goalies were average, the score would have been something like 3-0 or 4-1 Penguins.

100%! Kuch, Mackinnon, Mathews and McDavid make Sid look ordinary in comparison.
Sullivan would make those guys look ordinary too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure what you are trying to extrapolate from my comment about Zucker and how his play in Arizona dictates any of it?

Zucker is a 40+ pt player.

It's just kinda wild he was here for 180 games only and Rakell already out produced his time here.
Nothing really, not sure why I even bothered to reply to it. Zucker to me was always a 45-50pt player that was a heart and soul type, like a poor man's Hornqvist is how I always saw him, Rakell is a smarter player with some Dupuis qualities that makes him a better fit for Sid but Sully kept moving him on and off, throwing his game off.

As a fan of Rakell and Silfverberg back in the day, I always felt both could do better with their production on a different team. Jakob is basically done, but Raks at least showed a few times with back to back 30+ goal seasons in Anaheim that he could be better. I also wanted Silf here a couple of seasons ago as a reclamation project, glad that didn't happen. He's pretty done.

Reactions: canadianguy77

metalan2

May 30, 2008
All I know is Sid played several seasons where there was like 1 guy pushing for 100 points by years end.

There are several every year anymore. So scoring overall has gone way up. And you can see some guys are blowing up in their late 20’s and early 30’s. If Sid was 30 like Kuch, he’d be right there, IMO.

I don’t think either McKinnon or Kucherov wind up catching Sid in career points. Especially not if he plays until 40.
Sids gonna go at least 2 years beyond 40. I think he has 5-7 seasons left. Will end up 2nd overall in scoring.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sids gonna go at least 2 years beyond 40. I think he has 5-7 seasons left. Will end up 2nd overall in scoring.
I think it depends on what Dubas does to inject youth into this line up, specifically the top 9. If he has to do what he's doing this season for 5-7 seasons, the Pens might need to hire a team of Psychiatrists just to keep him sane.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I got Fubo which has basically all sports except no Turner (TNT/TBS). So Pens games on TNT are either "go to a bar" or "nope" for me.

Thinking of switching back to regular cable. I'd be over the moon if FSG did a $30/month for Pirates/Pens deal with Sportsnet like they did with NESN in Boston.

Gotcha. I have a similar thing with my local teams (Cavs, CBJ). I was curious if they had done something to cause some protest. lol

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Pens have looked pretty juiced since the 3rd against Montreal. Also, DOC is one of our most important wingers. Not saying much tho.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I think it just proves Rakell despite his cold streak this year has been a pretty damn good top six forward most of his time here.
Rak is awesome. Streaky, but awesome. He needs to stay on Sid's wing. Would love to see what he could do creatively under a different coach.

He reminds me of what Jussi Jokinen was to Malkin

Pens have looked pretty juiced since the 3rd against Montreal. Also, DOC is one of our most important wingers. Not saying much tho.
DOC is intriguing. I feel like if we lost him in an upcoming expansion draft, we would see him explode. And by explode I mean turn into a possible 20-20 or even 25-25 guy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The way Sullivan coaches this team, you'd think they were comfortably in a playoff spot and not fighting for their playoff lives to make up a ton of ground.

There is no rational explanation with the way he chooses the line-up.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did they take away an assist from Crosby? Could've sworn I saw he got an assist on Letang's goal, but now it's unassisted.

Maybe it's just perception, but I swear Sid gets points taken away more than any other "star".

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Rak is awesome. Streaky, but awesome. He needs to stay on Sid's wing. Would love to see what he could do creatively under a different coach.

He reminds me of what Jussi Jokinen was to Malkin

DOC is intriguing. I feel like if we lost him in an upcoming expansion draft, we would see him explode. And by explode I mean turn into a possible 20-20 or even 25-25 guy.

He’s turning into a 6’3 Rust which is pretty exciting. He’s started to look like he did in the preseason against actual NHL defenses.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Confession: apparently I forgot I had my cursed monkey paw in my back pocket while we were talking about going back to firewagon hockey.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
99% of the time you lose that game but we played Cal Peterson so it's a win.

There is no long term with Sid and Geno around. A late 1st round pick or mid round pick is not going to stop what will be a scorched earth rebuild.
These are pretty much my exact thoughts on why a complete firesale doesn't make sense. A retooling to recoupe some assets and load up again for next year, sure OK but dumping everybody for an early 2nd round pick helps us squat.

Context matters. People seem to forget just 8 months ago we traded a 1st+2nd for the Norris winner. I get it though, it's frustrating to watch this FSG+Sully led team.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No. 1 goalies need to find ways to be good against all opponents, not just certain ones.
Sure, they do, no one is saying Jarry didn't need to be better against Philly. But if you're in the situation the Penguins are in, you go with the goalies that have had luck against these teams to have a better shot at 2pts.

They almost didn't today because they went with the wrong goalie. It's not any different than swapping out a top 6 winger vs a heavier or slower opponent to have a leg up on them.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Crosby's 6th in terms of EVP tho, so the gap is not that huge 61 vs 45
Likely with much better finishing too. People are insane saying he’s a top 20 player. He’s carrying this team on his back.

He’s turning into a 6’3 Rust which is pretty exciting. He’s started to look like he did in the preseason against actual NHL defenses.
It looks like he still enjoys playing with Sid. Like he gets excited for it. Some guys ramp up their games in elevated positions. He’s one of them and it’s too bad the coach can’t or won’t see it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
99% of the time you lose that game but we played Cal Peterson so it's a win.

These are pretty much my exact thoughts on why a complete firesale doesn't make sense. A retooling to recoupe some assets and load up again for next year, sure OK but dumping everybody for an early 2nd round pick helps us squat.

Context matters. People seem to forget just 8 months ago we traded a 1st+2nd for the Norris winner. I get it though, it's frustrating to watch this FSG+Sully led team.
I would be happy to find a way for us to play like this more often, even if we lose that game more often than not because it was fun to watch, even with the heart-attacks and dropping the lead and clawing back.

That's what's frustrating about watching us drop multiple games like 2-1 or 1-0 over the course of the season and largely because of the PP-- if we're gonna lose, I wanna see us lose while running up the core's numbers. :laugh:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I got Fubo which has basically all sports except no Turner (TNT/TBS). So Pens games on TNT are either "go to a bar" or "nope" for me.

Thinking of switching back to regular cable. I'd be over the moon if FSG did a $30/month for Pirates/Pens deal with Sportsnet like they did with NESN in Boston.
HBO and Hulu streams carry TNT.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad