Post-Game Talk: Pens at Sens: Stop talking in the GDT you Cookes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Did Neil even touch his head? It certainly wasn't the primary point of contact.

aside from the 2 minute charge, the hit was clean.

Then how does his helmet come off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_G7USf0O6o

The top down view is telling. His helmet was knocked off before he even hit the boards.

Freeze the video at :31 where Neal's forearm/elbow is right on Depres's chin. I can't believe Depres wasn't concussed (of course there is always today to find out).

I don't care what it was, these kinds of hits absolutely should be 5min and GM every time. There is no place in the game for hits like this. Depres was very lucky not to have his season ended there. I still don't get how Adams got 4min for roughing after watching that scrum. I wouldn't even have given him 2. Neal also threw 2 punches and didn't get a roughing for those?

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Unless Morrow is willing to take current Dupuis money, he's gonna have to walk. Far too susceptible to the Guerin drop-off.

In order of importance as far as our UFA's go:

Iginla
Murray/Dupuis
Morrow
Cooke

If we don't re-sign all of them, Shero is a failure.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm glad Cooke just played the game, but he seemed somewhat timid to me. It was almost like he went out of his way not to hit guys. Great play on the 3rd goal though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There might not be enough room. Morrow is at risk for dropping off to nothing quickly, but if he's given a limited role, he could continue to be very effective. Cooke is Cooke, and I think we'd all like him re-signed, but he's going to ask for more than he's probably worth--to us anyway.

14 - 87 - 12
19 - 71 - 18
36 - 16 - 9

That's my top-9 next season. Morrow and Cooke are probably going to ask for too much to just be 4th line guys.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The top down view is telling. His helmet was knocked off before he even hit the boards.

Freeze the video at :31 where Neal's forearm/elbow is right on Depres's chin. I can't believe Depres wasn't concussed (of course there is always today to find out).

I don't care what it was, these kinds of hits absolutely should be 5min and GM every time. There is no place in the game for hits like this. Depres was very lucky not to have his season ended there. I still don't get how Adams got 4min for roughing after watching that scrum. I wouldn't even have given him 2. Neal also threw 2 punches and didn't get a roughing for those?

His helmet comes off due to whiplash. He got crushed when he had his head down and didn't see it coming. The force of the hit whipped his head back causing his helmet to fly off. I think the hit was a bit sketchy, but the principal point of contact seemed to be the upper chest. I think it was a borderline hit due to a charge (although the interpretation of a charge isn't always clear it seems), but certainly not a 5 and a game. Players have to be aware of their surroundings on the ice. Get your head up and brace for the hit. I guess I'm just concerned that the term "defenseless player" ends up taking away the responsibility of the puck carrier to pay attention.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There might not be enough room. Morrow is at risk for dropping off to nothing quickly, but if he's given a limited role, he could continue to be very effective. Cooke is Cooke, and I think we'd all like him re-signed, but he's going to ask for more than he's probably worth--to us anyway.

14 - 87 - 12
19 - 71 - 18
36 - 16 - 9

That's my top-9 next season. Morrow and Cooke are probably going to ask for too much to just be 4th line guys.

Eh, if possible I'd rather have Morrow on 3rd line left wing and Jokinen as utility man. Play him 4th line center, 2nd PP, PK, defensive zone draws for Geno, and slide him up and down the lineup. Of course, there's a salary cap to deal with, but that'd be my preference.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Remember when Letang crushed Comeau in the Isles game and his helmet flew off? That's the kind of call you get when you use that logic. That's the kind of call that was blatantly wrong when it was against us, but now we seem to think should be called because its for us.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They should've gave Neil a misconduct too, then. The refereeing was atrocious

Agreed, Neil should have been awarded a 10 right away at the start of the game going after Cooke and all if the refs wanted to set the tempo, but they didn't and like you said the calls they made were brutal

Iginla and Kunitz seem to have some great chemistry. I hope Bylsma isn't afraid to slap Crosby on that line, and keep Dupuis on another line. Nothing against Dupuis, he's been great all year, but an ICKy line (see what I did there?) would be incredible.

Bortuzzo is sooooooooo bad. OMG. He plays like he's drunk or something.

It doesn't take long for players like Iginla to find chemistry. He was playing great with Malkin as well before Geno went down, that Tampa game they looked great together

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Awww my well thought out, hilarious post got shanbanned. Sorry for the gufferney Mods, I understand.

I loved Cookes play last night, didn't do anything over the top, just played as he should have. There was no reason for him to fight anyone as he didn't do anything wrong. Hopefully that ends the issue with the Sens. I'd like to see a hard fought playoff hockey series if we meet them in the post season, not a repeat of last years Flyers mosh pit.

Will Mac be in the lineup again tonight? I'm assuming no. MAF? Guess another no so Vokoun goes it again? Fine by me, he earned it last night.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Eh, if possible I'd rather have Morrow on 3rd line left wing and Jokinen as utility man. Play him 4th line center, 2nd PP, PK, defensive zone draws for Geno, and slide him up and down the lineup. Of course, there's a salary cap to deal with, but that'd be my preference.

I'd like to play Jokinen as our 4C as well, but there's just not enough money to go around. Hell, in order to keep Iginla, which I think should be Shero's #1 goal, we're probably going to have to move Orpik--which I have no problem with. Orpik hasn't earned his keep in a few seasons now anyway.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'd like to play Jokinen as our 4C as well, but there's just not enough money to go around. Hell, in order to keep Iginla, which I think should be Shero's #1 goal, we're probably going to have to move Orpik--which I have no problem with. Orpik hasn't earned his keep in a few seasons now anyway.

I think it would be a damn shame to allow a talented guy like Jokinen go, especially seeing as how Carolina is even picking up half of his salary next season. I mean, we'd essentially be taking a 1.5 million cap hit on a legit 40+ point player that is great in the faceoff circle!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

With all the young D we have coming one of Orpik or even Martin is going to be moved IMO, I think it will be who ever brings back the most in a trade.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think it would be a damn shame to allow a talented guy like Jokinen go, especially seeing as how Carolina is even picking up half of his salary next season. I mean, we'd essentially be taking a 1.5 million cap hit on a legit 40+ point player that is great in the faceoff circle!

Jokinen is signed through next season. No worries there.

And as far as Martin being moved, zero chance. He's been our best defenseman all season long. Did a complete 180 after Shero approached him last summer. He'll play his contract out here, at least.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005

Carolina pays for a third of Jokinen's salary ($900k), Pittsburgh the rest ($2.1M).

RehnX

Jun 28, 2011
Indiana
Dear Sens fans,

This is the game after the Savard hit, Cookes first shift.

Why does he fight Shawn Thornton(a bigger, better fighter than Chris Neil) but "pick his spots" against Neil? Because NO ONE but your insane fanbase thinks he did anything wrong on the Karlsson hit. Cooke will answer the bell when he does something wrong. He won't get his *** kicked for no reason though.

It's cute that Neil won't drop the gloves with someone willing though. He's so tough.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Unless Morrow is willing to take current Dupuis money, he's gonna have to walk. Far too susceptible to the Guerin drop-off.

In order of importance as far as our UFA's go:

Iginla
Murray/Dupuis
Morrow
Cooke

Dude, just enjoy the ride. Thinking beyond this year will just drive you crazy with the cap implications of re-signing all these guys. Savor it while you can.

lilschmied

Mar 13, 2007
+ Morrow - had my jaw on the floor with that pass to Iggy last night. Damn man that was slick. Certified Badass.

+ Team defense - Lots of good plays tying up sticks on a few sure goals, much improved from mid-season.

For those of you cheering for the Jets, should they win tonight they could bounce the Craps from the playoffs entirely and go to the 3 slot. :amazed:

I know a lot has to happen for that to play out but there's a good chance the Jets get in with home ice in the 1st round!
9th to 3rd in 1 game...The main reason I hate the playoff seeding.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
+ Morrow - had my jaw on the floor with that pass to Iggy last night. Damn man that was slick. Certified Badass.

+ Team defense - Lots of good plays tying up sticks on a few sure goals, much improved from mid-season.

For those of you cheering for the Jets, should they win tonight they could bounce the Craps from the playoffs entirely and go to the 3 slot. :amazed:

I know a lot has to happen for that to play out but there's a good chance the Jets get in with home ice in the 1st round!
9th to 3rd in 1 game...The main reason I hate the playoff seeding.

I think it is more likely that one of the Jets/Caps gets the #3 seed and that the other takes the Sens' spot. I just can't see the Caps missing it.

lilschmied

Mar 13, 2007
I think it is more likely that one of the Jets/Caps gets the #3 seed and that the other takes the Sens' spot. I just can't see the Caps missing it.

Well the Caps and Sens play Thursday. That game could effectively decide the 8 seed. Assuming the Rags don't choke of course.:sarcasm:

Fire Shero*

The Jets have no business being in the playoffs with that goal differential.

Oh I agree. I am just tired of the sens. It would be amusing to see a total collapse.

The jets are a joke. Management has no pressure, fans will just show up and be happy to have their team back. Is there a GM out there who has done less than Chevy over the past 2 seasons? Maybe Tambellini?

I just don't care for the sens.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Oh I agree. I am just tired of the sens. It would be amusing to see a total collapse.

The jets are a joke. Management has no pressure, fans will just show up and be happy to have their team back. Is there a GM out there who has done less than Chevy over the past 2 seasons? Maybe Tambellini?

I just don't care for the sens.

He did sign Jokinen and Ponikarovsky in the off season but as far as trades I agree he hasn't done much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad