Pre-Game Talk: Pens at CBJ, Game 3. Does anything matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I mean, Bennett is supposed to be Sid's RW of the future. Him and Crosby need to work through this block that they have between each other. Crosby has played with grinders basically his entire career, it's not going to be a smooth transition over to a creative winger. It needs to happen though, so they just need to play together to get through this block.

If BB is Sid's future winger that's fine, they can play together during next years training camp and regular season, game 3 of the playoffs is not the time to try and get these guys some experience together so they get better for the future.

Right now you go with what works, which is KCStemp and BB with Sutter.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Glass on the 3rd line is the biggest joke i've ever seen. Not only is he garbage as a 4th liner....nevermind. I'll say something that gets me in trouble.

#statusquo
#countryclub
#grinding

penguins2946*

If BB is Sid's future winger that's fine, they can play together during next years training camp and regular season, game 3 of the playoffs is not the time to try and get these guys some experience together so they get better for the future.

Right now you go with what works, which is KCStemp and BB with Sutter.

If you put Stempniak with Crosby (who is a similar player to Dupuis), Crosby and Kunitz will continue to play the same way that they are now. Aka, a way that isn't working.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I expected no less than Glass on the 3rd line. No less.

I just need to see Pyatt inserted to make my rage complete.

I'm more amused than anything. Like I've been saying so far I'm indifferent right now. I'm mostly just joking around with my comments about the lineup because I know what's going down in reality. It's just part of being a fan to put yourself in an alt universe and wonder what their lineup could be with a better coach.

I can't build up the rage to be angry over something we have been foreshadowing all season, then suddenly it comes to pass and we get outraged.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you put Stempniak with Crosby (who is a similar player to Dupuis), Crosby and Kunitz will continue to play the same way that they are now. Aka, a way that isn't working.

This year we have seen KCStemp and KCB, one of the lines has worked, one hasn't worked, maybe i'm crazy, but i would play the line that has worked this year.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I really hate Neal being off the top unit. We need him there.

I agree, but who do you take off? The 4 forward thing isn't working, that's pretty clear. The only option would be to run split units - maybe something like...

Kunitz - Crosby - Jokinen - Niskanen - Martin
Stempniak - Malkin - Neal - Letang - Maatta

penguins2946*

Anyway, here's the Jackets lineup from the morning skate:

Jenner-Johansen-Skille
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Foligno-Anisimov-Umberger
MacKenzie-Letestu-Comeau

Prout-Johnson
Murray-Wizniewski
Nikitib-Savard

I don't think he will, but if Horton comes back and plays with Johansen and Jenner, we're royally boned.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, they need a shakeup at this point. Kunitz and Neal have been struggling for a long time and it's been allowed. So many of them need a kick in the ass.

penguins2946*

This year we have seen KCStemp and KCB, one of the lines has worked, one hasn't worked, maybe i'm crazy, but i would play the line that has worked this year.

It worked for like 3 games though. Could it work better than KCB? Yeah, sure, but I don't think Bylsma is in any rush to find out.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah, they need a shakeup at this point. Kunitz and Neal have been struggling for a long time and it's been allowed. So many of them need a kick in the ass.

Malkin gets his puck retriever, and Crosby gets away from playing the 2 man game him and Kunitz have developed, all while giving him the two wingers he needs to burn defenders who only key on him. Also Malkin and Jokinen like to play their European style of game which may blossom more if Malkin isn't looking for Neal all the time.

Either way, a shakeup from the complacency is desperately needed.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree, but who do you take off? The 4 forward thing isn't working, that's pretty clear. The only option would be to run split units - maybe something like...

Kunitz - Crosby - Jokinen - Niskanen - Martin
Stempniak - Malkin - Neal - Letang - Maatta

I agree here with two slight changes. Why put Jokinen with Sid and Stemp with Geno? Letang shouldn't see a PP, like ever. There are no gains from having him on it if it's shorthanded chances and goals of it regularly.

This allows one of our top lines to be rested at all times. They more than have enough players to have two #1 PP units.

Like this.

Kunitz, Crosby, Stempniak
Niskanen, Martin

Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Jokinen, Maatta

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Anyway, here's the Jackets lineup from the morning skate:

Jenner-Johansen-Skille
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Foligno-Anisimov-Umberger
MacKenzie-Letestu-Comeau

Prout-Johnson
Murray-Wizniewski
Nikitib-Savard

I don't think he will, but if Horton comes back and plays with Johansen and Jenner, we're royally boned.

That's actually a pretty solid top 9 outside of Skille.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

But they don't have name recognition and they play for Columbus, so they'll automatically be dismissed as a scrub lineup by Penguins homers.

All I see is a bunch of big guys guys with decent skill who can skate fast and lean hard on the forecheck.

penguins2946*

If Horton were in for Skille right now, we'd be down 2-0 heading into Columbus. They don't have any star power (though Johansen and Horton aren't scrubs), but they have a solid and deep lineup that's built for the playoffs.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly

Lines at #Penguins skate: Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett Jokinen-Malkin-Neal Glass-Sutter-Stempniak Megna-Vitale-Adams Pyatt rotated onto 4th line.

Saw the lines ... erupted into laughter ... what have I become :cry:

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Don't worry guys. Chris Conner will come back and play on Sid's wing and we will make it all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals before losing in 7 games and ownership will say "Better than last year!" and we will start all over with Ban Dylsma next year.

penguins2946*

@MolinariPG: Bylsma: "I don't think we need them (crosby and Malkin) to score to win a game."

I literally thought Bylsma could not be even dumber. Turns out, I was wrong. This team lives and dies off if Sid and Geno.

He actually managed to do something right though:

@Dejan_Kovacevic: Sure sounds like @Penguins final forward will be Megna/Conner. Bylsma just cited them — not Pyatt — in either-or scenario.

It looks like Megna will be in, and hopefully over Glass on the 3rd line shortly after that.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So what kind of tactical adjustments do you guys...

Sorry, I started laughing uncontrollably there and had a take a quick breather. May have peed a little.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I also just heard a Kunitz quote on the fan saying he didn't think they've been outworked so far this series.

Yeah Kunitz, you've been giving it your all out there you ****ing lazy piece of ****.

penguins2946*

https://twitter.com/emptynetters/status/458280518434684928

Bylsma: (Paraphrased) Top two line need to be better.

I'v learned that you actually need to listen to DB and come away with your own opinion what he is saying, your tweet and my tweet are kind of saying two different things.

I think yours is correct but mine is incorrect. The Pens do not have the personnel to create the offense for us to win games. The wingers we have are to complement Sid and Geno, not drive the offense themselves. Our entire top-6 needs to play better, that's a given, but we can't win without Geno and Sid producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad