Pre-Game Talk: Pens are playing a game tonight, pregame talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Don't we have a fanmance with the Canucks fanbase?

Yeah. They are one of the (maybe only?) fanbases that we seem to consistently be able to get rational, level-headed dialogue out of.

Probably because we both root for such dirty, despicable, underhanded, low down cheater teams that have a rich and (according to everyone... so it must be true) ongoing history of ultra-violence.

I was under this impression as well. Glad to see it still relatively lives on from both sides. Still waiting for that Van - Pitt SCF that was predicted years ago. :help:

I hope to see a fun game, good luck!

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was under this impression as well. Glad to see it still relatively lives on from both sides. Still waiting for that Van - Pitt SCF that was predicted years ago. :help:

I hope to see a fun game, good luck!

I'm not really sure how to react to a fan base that doesn't hate us. :laugh:

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Nice to see Greiss get the start, but i hate how Greiss always seem to get the tougher opponents, most coaches would of had the backup against the Devils or Sens and the starter against Vancouver.

Change the teams and the goalies and that is exactly the same quote I have read on the Canucks GDT about Lack. Word for word!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not really sure how to react to a fan base that doesn't hate us. :laugh:

Yeah, I still have some good will remaining from a few years ago where it was Vancouver-Pens against the world here at HF. Nothing remotely dislikable about the team or the fans to me.

As for the game, Bort gets suspended for being a nanosecond too late on a hit, and the Pens will get a third as many PP opportunities than Vancouver. That is life as a Pens' fan.

The refs are the Ebola of the world to the Pens for a month now. I plan on hating them again tonight.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Yeah, I still have some good will remaining from a few years ago where it was Vancouver-Pens against the world here at HF. Nothing remotely dislikable about the team or the fans to me.

As for the game, Bort gets suspended for being a nanosecond too late on a hit, and the Pens will get a third as many PP opportunities than Vancouver. That is life as a Pens' fan.

The refs are the Ebola of the world to the Pens for a month now. I plan on hating them again tonight.

We're not exactly the ref's favourite team either but even if Vancouver got 6 powerplays to the Pens' 2, I don't have a doubt in my mind that Vancouver will be 0 for 6 and Pittsburgh will be 2 for 2 with a shorty to boot.

Our powerplay broke out against Washington so it seems like we're set to be quiet for a while on the special teams front.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Something I am curious about: I saw on the Canucks board that the opinion is that if their players hit Geno a lot he will shrink away. Where does this idea come from? Aside from Bortuzzo and maybe Downie, Geno probably has the biggest mean streak on the team on the ice. I've seen this opinion in a lot of other places too and I just wonder where it comes from, because spending even a short amount of time watching his game would tell you it's exactly the opposite. If anything I wish he'd mix it up less because one of these days he's going to break a hand or get otherwise injured. Also when you make him mad that's usually when he goes into "**** you, watch me take over the game" mode.

Many Canuck fans have a huge hate on for Malkin after his hit on Mitchel that took him out for the season, IIRC Mitchel never played another game for the Canucks.
Therefore they will say anything to demean him.

Don't get me wrong I still hate Malkin for that hit but I can recognize his talents and that it is better to not wake the sleeping giant unnecessarily. If he is not engaged in the game all it will take is one good hit to wake him up. A pissed off Malkin is a monster.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I've liked the Canucks ever since the '94 SCF. I hated the Rags, of course, but it was easy to root for that Canucks team. McClean was awesome to watch, one of the last of the great stand-ups. Plus those awesome black uni's.

I'm awfully impressed by how well their team is playing this year. Going to be tough sledding tonight.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If we get a fair shake from the stripes against a team in the remainder of the calendar year, I expect it to be tonight against this team.

Refs still have it somewhat in for the Canucks because Burrows tricked a (now) fired ref on a bad dive, like, 7 years ago.

That said, I would also not be surprised if the calls went 5 to 1 against us, since that happens every game now for an entire month.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I've liked the Canucks ever since the '94 SCF. I hated the Rags, of course, but it was easy to root for that Canucks team. McClean was awesome to watch, one of the last of the great stand-ups. Plus those awesome black uni's.

I'm awfully impressed by how well their team is playing this year. Going to be tough sledding tonight.

McLean was something else to see. He was an artifact from a different era even then.

It was like watching a Greek Phalanx marching on a World War I no man's land.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Hoping for a good game tonight pens fans! Two high scoring exciting teams.

I've got 4 pens in my pool , so it's a win win!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He's never getting traded. :cry:

Dana Heinze ‏@RealDanaHeinze
#4 Rob Scuderi with the "A"

B4CzAMCIYAA-1Mp.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Bure is one of my all-time favorite players. I don't remember his early years that much with Vancouver but he couldn't help but stand out every time I did see him play. I remember him well from about the 94-95 lockout (or a little after) and beyond. His playoffs leading up to that final with the Rangers is the stuff of legends. Aside from the obvious talent and blazing speed... what a competitor.

His point total of 31 was the most of any Russian born player in the post season until Malkin broke that record during the Penguins Cup run.

Last edited:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Good game, interesting match-up. I have been betting some precious Vcash on the Canucks lately but not for this game, no.

I looked at your Pens predict thread. Those of you who predict that the Canucks actually score some goals might perhaps be advised to pick some guys from the Canucks' third and fourth lines instead of the top lines.

I think that you will be able to deal with our top lines rather good. But our depth guys have scored a lot this season and if Crosby and Malkin will rest some shifts your bottom lines might have a harder time than your top lines (I assume that the bottom lines will slug it out vs each other). So in short, select Vey or Hansen as alternatives to the Canucks usual suspects.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Good luck tonight Pens fans, should be a fun one to watch!

We're in for a real battle of dives, slashes, cheapshots and if we're lucky- maybe even a bite or two. May the best team win in the shootout.

edit: forgot whining. There will be a lot of whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino