Pre-Game Talk: Pens are playing a game tonight, pregame talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I assume Miller will get the start, hopefully he looks like he usually looks against the Pens.

Wes Crosby ‏@OtherNHLCrosby

Goc says he feels ready, hopes to be in the lineup tonight. #Pens

Good news.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
maybe if dumoulin does well we can have 2 verified better players sitting for scuderi once we're healthy

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice to see Greiss get the start, but i hate how Greiss always seem to get the tougher opponents, most coaches would of had the backup against the Devils or Sens and the starter against Vancouver.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice to see Greiss get the start, but i hate how Greiss always seem to get the tougher opponents, most coaches would of had the backup against the Devils or Sens and the starter against Vancouver.

I've seen it the other way for years. Get the guaranteed win w/ your starter and let your back-up fight for those tougher wins. It's not the way they do it all the time, but I have seen that used a lot. Especially in back-to-backs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've seen it the other way for years. Get the guaranteed win w/ your starter and let your back-up fight for those tougher wins. It's not the way they do it all the time, but I have seen that used a lot. Especially in back-to-backs.

I'd like to see Fleury in against potential playoff opponents though. Lord knows Fleury needs his confidence built up.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I haven't noticed that much, i always thought it made sense to play your starter against the best teams, let your backup play against teams like Buffalo Edmonton and New Jersey.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Very interested to see how Domoulin does.

Hopefully Megna-Geno-Comeau can keep rolling too.
Sid just needs all kinds of help on his LW right now.

Good to see our #1 starting.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Wes Crosby @OtherNHLCrosby
Sounds like Lack will start tonight.

Seems like the Canucks and Penguins want a backup battle.

And:

Jason Botchford @botchford
Ehrhoff says the Canucks made a pitch for him after he left buffalo

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I haven't noticed that much, i always thought it made sense to play your starter against the best teams, let your backup play against teams like Buffalo Edmonton and New Jersey.

Always an interesting math discussion. If you find you have a... 66% chance to win against Buffalo vs. a 52% chance to win against Philly, but if you switch around goalies you have a 58% chance to win and a 49% chance to win.... what do you do?

There are so many statistics that go into that math - home/away record, against team x, etc.

Honestly I think statistics are overused. Sometimes people worry so much about what the numbers say as opposed to what is actually happening on the ice. The movie moneyball came out and everyone tries to replicate it. It was one team... :laugh:

And there will never be a definitive answer on what works best.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Always an interesting math discussion. If you find you have a... 66% chance to win against Buffalo vs. a 52% chance to win against Philly, but if you switch around goalies you have a 58% chance to win and a 49% chance to win.... what do you do?

There are so many statistics that go into that math - home/away record, against team x, etc.

Honestly I think statistics are overused. Sometimes people worry so much about what the numbers say as opposed to what is actually happening on the ice. The movie moneyball came out and everyone tries to replicate it. It was one team... :laugh:

And there will never be a definitive answer on what works best.

I think you have to use both stats and your eyes and go from there. It's dangerous to lean too heavily towards either extreme.

Kunitz is an interesting example of that. The underlying stats paint him as doing very well for us, both by advanced metrics and by basic stats like points/goals. The eye test has him looking very shaky. Who is the real Kunitz? I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

penguins2946*

I'm excited to see how Dumoulin does tonight, he has played extremely well in WBS and I think he'll make an excellent partner for Ehrhoff.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
really looking forward to the game. lots of interesting storylines tonight. johnston vs. desjardins. johnston vs. the canucks (he was an assistant coach there for a while). ehrhoff vs the canucks. backup battle. high skill vs high skill. should be a fun one.

lol. woah. i know the two coaches go way back to their university days but i didn't know johnston was the best man at desjardins wedding.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
If Greiss started against NJD it would've been back to back starts and it would have meant Fleury sitting almost a week. They probably want to get Greiss a home game. It's probably no more complicated an explanation than that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
yeah me too. I haven't watched him too much since his call up last year. Excited to see how he's developed.

Sucks that he'll likely be playing RD. Apparently he's not very good on that side. Unless they move Scuds up instead of Despres, which I wouldn't like either.

penguins2946*

Sucks that he'll likely be playing RD. Apparently he's not very good on that side. Unless they move Scuds up instead of Despres, which I wouldn't like either.

Ehrhoff plays RD as well, I don't see why Dumoulin would be forced to play RD.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
lol. woah. i know the two coaches go way back to their university days but i didn't know johnston was the best man at desjardins wedding.
I just heard that about an hour ago on Vancouver sports radio. Didn't know that either. Great story line.

If someone can PM me when you get your GDT up that would be cool. I'll add the link to the main board GDT.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
megna showed a lot of promise in the third period last night. hopefully he picks up right where he left off instead of building to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad