Pre-Game Talk: Pens are playing a game tonight, pregame talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ah, the Canucks. The other franchise that's maligned as a bunch of dirtbags and singled out by referees for reasons I've never remotely understood.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So if Letang is out for 2 weeks does that mean we might see Pouliot? I could see Harrington and Dumoulin getting some games but I'm not sure about DP.

Unlikely, unless Dumoulin/Harrington struggle. The PP has slowed down but Ehrhoff deserves a shot on the top unit.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ah, the Canucks. The other franchise that's maligned as a bunch of dirtbags and singled out by referees for reasons I've never remotely understood.

Well, they were the franchise of both Jarkko Ruutu and Matt Cooke before they each went to the Pens, plus there's that whole Bertuzzi incident...

Which was all several years ago now, but as with Crosby's "whiner" reputation, once it's taken hold, it's hard to shake.

Michael8771*

I'm excited to see how Dumoulin does tonight, he has played extremely well in WBS and I think he'll make an excellent partner for Ehrhoff.
I'm happy for the guy and not necessarily his biggest fan. By all accounts he's played extraordinarily well in WB. Him playing tonight is well deserved.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
megna showed a lot of promise in the third period last night. hopefully he picks up right where he left off instead of building to it

Maybe he needed a few games to get up to speed, or maybe playing a couple shifts with Geno helped, but I thought he looked OK when he played last year for a spell as well. Hopefully he's turned the corner and can be a contributor.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I'm still mystified as to how the Canucks were considered the "bad guys" in the 2011 SCF. :shakehead

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Something I am curious about: I saw on the Canucks board that the opinion is that if their players hit Geno a lot he will shrink away. Where does this idea come from? Aside from Bortuzzo and maybe Downie, Geno probably has the biggest mean streak on the team on the ice. I've seen this opinion in a lot of other places too and I just wonder where it comes from, because spending even a short amount of time watching his game would tell you it's exactly the opposite. If anything I wish he'd mix it up less because one of these days he's going to break a hand or get otherwise injured. Also when you make him mad that's usually when he goes into "**** you, watch me take over the game" mode.

Malkin112*

Something I am curious about: I saw on the Canucks board that the opinion is that if their players hit Geno a lot he will shrink away. Where does this idea come from? Aside from Bortuzzo and maybe Downie, Geno probably has the biggest mean streak on the team on the ice. I've seen this opinion in a lot of other places too and I just wonder where it comes from, because spending even a short amount of time watching his game would tell you it's exactly the opposite. If anything I wish he'd mix it up less because one of these days he's going to break a hand or get otherwise injured. Also when you make him mad that's usually when he goes into "**** you, watch me take over the game" mode.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Malkin is not some soft player that will disappear if the physicality picks up. The only good thing you can get out of playing him physical is he's a hot head and will take some retaliatory penalties here and there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess the logic there is he maybe takes a stupid retaliatory penalty.

But he's been doing a better job of maintaining his focus when it comes to that, I think.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

He's in another conference. They're getting the reputation a little mixed up. If you hit Geno, he might take a stupid penalty (or 5). But he doesn't play worse. Easy mistake to make.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Yeah, that I actually buy because you can goad Malkin into retaliatory penalties sometimes. But it's not because he's soft, more like the opposite.

Yeah, Malkin is not some soft player that will disappear if the physicality picks up. The only good thing you can get out of playing him physical is he's a hot head and will take some retaliatory penalties here and there.

Pretty much. Malkin shying away from physicality is one of those little persistent HF myths that I've never really understood where they come from. Kind of like when they say hitting Crosby and getting under his skin will take him off of his game, when that has pretty much never happened. Nobody gets under his skin more than the Flyers and he usually torches them.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, I think this is mostly fans of a team who don't play the Penguins often mixing up assumed facts that they picked up here and there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Don't we have a fanmance with the Canucks fanbase?

Yeah. They are one of the (maybe only?) fanbases that we seem to consistently be able to get rational, level-headed dialogue out of.

Probably because we both root for such dirty, despicable, underhanded, low down cheater teams that have a rich and (according to everyone... so it must be true) ongoing history of ultra-violence.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
He's in another conference. They're getting the reputation a little mixed up. If you hit Geno, he might take a stupid penalty (or 5). But he doesn't play worse. Easy mistake to make.

That's entirely possible. I see it regularly enough though that it almost seems like it's become an HF truth. It doesn't bother me or anything, more like I find it mystifying because I get the feeling that Malkin loves hitting people and he certainly doesn't shy away from being hit.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah. They are one of the (maybe only?) fanbases that we seem to consistently be able to get rational, level-headed dialogue out of.

Probably because we both root for such dirty, despicable, underhanded, low down cheater teams that have a rich and (according to everyone... so it must be true) ongoing history of ultra-violence.

Yet also soft cry babies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Right. Of course. How could I forget how wickedly both teams are somehow able to balance on that knife's edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad