GDT: Pens and Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
2014-10-01-22_24_50.gif

With the loss of James Neal, the Pens have been forced to outsource their knees to the head.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sundqvist said it himself - in Sweden he will get 20min TOI/game, here he won't.

To be fair, he's never going to get 20min of ice time on average in the NHL at any point in his career. Unless he gets real good, real fast. If his goal is to get a ton of ice time in all situations, then he's more than welcome to live out his career in Europe and win whatever trophy that satisfies the gaping hole they have in their soul that only Lord Stanley's Mug can fill.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
To be fair, he's never going to get 20min of ice time on average in the NHL at any point in his career. Unless he gets real good, real fast.

True. I tried to find the interview, but he said that it would take a lot to make him stay. Don't think that means 4th line minutes, but maybe it's more about AHL/NHL time.

The argument that playing 20min/game in Sweden will do more for his development than ... what, 12-15 minutes (after everyone is healthy?) could be made here. Some beat writer said he could join the Penguins after the SHL season is over (which would be in March, I think).

It's interesting that the 9-game stint doesn't apply to Sundqvist, IIRC. His contract won't slide either way.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Scuderi and Adams stepping it up with big assists tonight and cementing their place on the roster... much to the chagrin of this forum I'm sure

Yeah...go back and watch those assists. Freak bounces is what you will come up with. They're both garbage and have no business on this team.

But please, tell me how they're valuable and how they can contribute. I'm all ears. :laugh:

Did you make another acct DD?

Michael8771*

If PIT wishes to go this route Sundqvist COULD make Sutter expendable next year. I have high hopes for the Kid. He certainly lived up to and even surpassed any reasonable expectations to this point. If he continues his progression he could be a very effective third line center here as early as next season. His poise, positioning, size, consistency and instinct for the game lead me to believe he's well on his way.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
It's interesting that the 9-game stint doesn't apply to Sundqvist, IIRC. His contract won't slide either way.

Correct. It has to do with the age of the player when signing his ELC. Sundqvist just inked his this year at age 20, so the first year of the deal will run out no matter what league he plays in or for how long.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
To be fair, he's never going to get 20min of ice time on average in the NHL at any point in his career. Unless he gets real good, real fast. If his goal is to get a ton of ice time in all situations, then he's more than welcome to live out his career in Europe and win whatever trophy that satisfies the gaping hole they have in their soul that only Lord Stanley's Mug can fill.
He has won that trophy two years in a row ;) Maybe he just wants to be closer to his family and gf for another year?
He has said that "Pittsburgh decides".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If it's the Penguins choice then he should be reporting to WBS, if a year is going to be burned because of his age and being euro, why have it wasted in a league where he won't really get a chance to work with the Pens development staff and get acquainted to the ice surface and a different kind of competition.

What more does he have to prove in the SHL then? That he can play in the top 6 there? He can likely get a shot in WBS to be a go to guy and he'd be around to get a call-up if he plays well enough.

Or he can get his "20mins" and be close to his gf and whatever...not that he has a career to further.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I've read that both Sundqvist and Kapanen only have NHL outs in their contracts. So that means they have to at least play 10 games in the NHL or they are forced to go back. I think Kapanen should definitely just be returned, Sundy is another question...

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
2014-10-01-22_24_50.gif

With the loss of James Neal, the Pens have been forced to outsource their knees to the head.

That was a weak penalty IMO. A simple shove to try and get the player off of the puck, and Tatar sort of lost his footing for a second. If the ref wasn't there, and Tatar just goes into the boards, I doubt it gets called. He didn't hit the boards incredibly hard.

The knees to the face on the other hand....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He's here so I'm sure his goal is to play in the NHL. That said, there is value in being a leader in all situations on a professional team in one of the top leagues. He will have more of a chance to expand his offensive skills with more ice time in Sweden. Then he comes over next year as a more dynamic player. If the coaching staff thinks he's ready for the NHL this year, then I'm good with it. I could go either way here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If it's the Penguins choice then he should be reporting to WBS, if a year is going to be burned because of his age and being euro, why have it wasted in a league where he won't really get a chance to work with the Pens development staff and get acquainted to the ice surface and a different kind of competition.

What more does he have to prove in the SHL then? That he can play in the top 6 there? He can likely get a shot in WBS to be a go to guy and he'd be around to get a call-up if he plays well enough.

Or he can get his "20mins" and be close to his gf and whatever...not that he has a career to further.

I just think the AHL roster is a tad crowded with new faces looking to get a shot. Archibald, Dea, Rust, Zlobin, Wilson, plus Megna, Sheary, Drazenovic (sp?). I'm sure I'm missing a few as well. Add Sundqvist and Kapanen and that's a crowded top 9. At least with Kapanen he has a supposedly bad team in Finland so you could argue he would be better served in the AHL. Sundqvist doesn't have that issue.

Like I said before, I can go either way on this, I just think there's value in him playing another year in Sweden in a top 6 role.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I like what I see so far from Sundqvist and Kapanen, but I think they need definitely need more seasoning.

I think relying on these guys too much could botch their development and would be a big mistake.

Last thing we want to do is get into an Edmonton Oilers situation where we rush guys into the NHL and ruin their whole careers (i.e. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson)

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really dislike playing the Penguins, so many goons. I don't think it mere coincidence that all our primary injuries to our players came against the Pens this preseason. Extremely ironic considering Lemieux's words on dressing goons 2 seasons ago.

Noted goons Rob Scuderi and Blake Comeau (and the linesman's knees).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
****ing Scuderi getting Datsyuk would worry me more than the injury, tbh. Scuderi got him, Scuderi.

Anyway, let's earn the dirty reputation. This league is what it is and I'd rather actually be doing what they're accuse of for any perks.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam

Implying that playing a pivotal role on one of the top teams in one of the top hockey leagues in the world won't further his career.

We have enough guys competing for spots in WBS that don't have the option of going back to play in Europe. There is only so much playing time to go around in WBS. If this preseason has shown anything about Sundqvist it's that he isn't going to need a very long time to adjust to the NA style game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I like what I see so far from Sundqvist and Kapanen, but I think they need definitely need more seasoning.

I think relying on these guys too much could botch their development and would be a big mistake.

Last thing we want to do is get into an Edmonton Oilers situation where we rush guys into the NHL and ruin their whole careers (i.e. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson)

I don't think anyone is saying they should be leaned on heavily this season. We'd just like to see how they do filling in for Malkin and Bennett in the short term.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Nice save by Craig Adams, our unsung hero :)

Puck wasn't moving that fast. Tanger would have gotten it. I honestly can't believe someone thought enough of that play to make it into a youtube video...

As a side note, I thought our net-front defense was so good last night. We really struggled letting up goals in tight last year, so hopefully that is over with.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Puck wasn't moving that fast. Tanger would have gotten it. I honestly can't believe someone thought enough of that play to make it into a youtube video...

As a side note, I thought our net-front defense was so good last night. We really struggled letting up goals in tight last year, so hopefully that is over with.

had to be from DearDiary's youtube channel.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

The almost-sure-goal that Despres saved by tying up his man in front of the net instead of puck-gazing is a great example of that.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013

craig adams isn't worried about his spot after the assist last night, pretty sure this was him after the game in the locker room in Carcillos face

doilookscared.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
craig adams isn't worried about his spot after the assist last night, pretty sure this was him after the game in the locker room in Carcillos face

doilookscared.gif

:laugh: And on that note - let's roll back to the preseason thread.

**** Craig Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad