GDT: Pens and Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Sundqvist for top 6 wing? I'm kind of joking.

But really though.

HCMJ may still want Sutter-Bennett together, but Sundqvist offers another option for the third line with at least a little playmaking/offensive talent which could enable Bennett to move up into the top 6.

When healthy

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis OR Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist OR Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Sundqvist
Comeau-Goc-Downie

isn't a bad looking roster with the slight problem of Dupuis in the top 6.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
HCMJ may still want Sutter-Bennett together, but Sundqvist offers another option for the third line with at least a little playmaking/offensive talent which could enable Bennett to move up into the top 6.

When healthy

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis OR Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist OR Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Sundqvist
Comeau-Goc-Downie

isn't a bad looking roster with the slight problem of Dupuis in the top 6.

If Dupuis is in the top 6 when we get healthy, I really hope we try that setup.

penguins2946*

Lineup we should start the season with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kapanen
Sundqvist-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Ehrhoff-Letang
Maatta-Martin
Despres-Harrington

Michael8771*

I like Sundqvist, but looking at the big picture he should go back for one more year. He accorded himself very well this TC. Certainly something to build on, that said he needs a little more seasoning IMO.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like Sundqvist, but looking at the big picture he should go back for one more year. He accorded himself very well this TC. Certainly something to build on, that said he needs a little more seasoning IMO.

in the long run, probably. But I think its always good to give a guy like him a taste of a few real NHL games if possible. Let him know what he really needs to work on. Having Bennett out gives us a perfect chance to give him a few games.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Sundqvist making this roster might be the first time the underdog favorite actually looks like a real contributor and a keeper unlike the Adam Payerl's, Jayson Megna's and Brian Gibbon's types. But I would bet anything Mike Johnston's predecessor would have never gave Sundqvist this kind of look because of that 'Euro Problem' he couldn't get over.;)

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Sundqvist making this roster might be the first time the underdog favorite actually looks like a real contributor and a keeper unlike the Adam Payerl's, Jayson Megna's and Brian Gibbon's types.
Yeah, but it's tough to compare him to those guys because he was a third rounder, so his pedigree was a bit better. His best (reasonable) projection was always going to be solid 3rd liner, and it's been great to see that he may actually reach that potential.

Michael8771*

in the long run, probably. But I think its always good to give a guy like him a taste of a few real NHL games if possible. Let him know what he really needs to work on. Having Bennett out gives us a perfect chance to give him a few games.
BB is more a skilled top six guy, Sundqvist is in the mold of a depth third liner who can occasionally step up and make a big play now and then. TBH I think we have enough players that fit that mold ATM. However, if he's given more time here that's ok I guess. I just get the impression he wants to go back to his team in Sweden.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
AT least the Pens have some young wings who can be significant contributors perhaps by next year. Once Malkin returns, I expect the Pens to play faster and more disciplined than the last number of years. Scuderi just has to go one way or the other. He is just so slow and offers nothing at this point. Take the hit this year with Adams as well.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh

Agree. Nothing but good things can come from him seeing some real NHL games. Hell, maybe he even makes people decide he doesn't need more seasoning.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

I am not sure what more a season in Sweden will offer.

He's 20 so not a teenager. He's big (6'3" 200+) so there aren't any injury or physicality concerns and I doubt he'll grow much more. He has a nice offensive touch. He's been defensively responsible so he won't hurt the Pens. He hasn't looked lost at any position he's played or with any players (including Adams). The only thing he may not get is top 6/top PP time, but I don't think his ceiling is beyond a good 2/3 tweener anyway.

I'd rather see more games out of Sundqvist than Kapanen, and I definitely rather see Sundqvist in the line up than any of Adams, Sill, Farnham, PL3, Megna, etc.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh

He's 20 so not a teenager. He's big (6'3" 200+) so there aren't any injury or physicality concerns and I doubt he'll grow much more. He has a nice offensive touch. He's been defensively responsible so he won't hurt the Pens. He hasn't looked lost at any position he's played or with any players (including Adams). The only thing he may not get is top 6/top PP time, but I don't think his ceiling is beyond a good 2/3 tweener anyway.

I'd rather see more games out of Sundqvist than Kapanen, and I definitely rather see Sundqvist in the line up than any of Adams, Sill, Farnham, PL3, Megna, etc.

Just because he has a perceived ceiling doesn't mean you want to limit his potential development. I don't think he has seen consistent top 6/PP time for awhile, and he will probably get that in Sweden

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I like also this putting Crosby and Kunitz on the PK and I guess Malkin as well because it was getting tiresome for the last 5 years watching and waiting for 3rd liners and scrub 4th liners to actually deflate the opposition by scoring some shorthanded goals.:nod:

Michael8771*

If he stays he'll likely see under 10 mins per game. I can't imagine that helping his development. I see him as a year away. Just because he goes back doesn't mean that Sill or Farnham play, hell no! We have other more viable options.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to see Spaling-Goc-Comeau kept together. They can be a serviceable third line while Malkin's out and a ridiculous 4th line when we're healthy and with a proper top 6 winger brought in.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
In the bizarro world of HFboards, where people want to trade Crosby and believe in Bigfoot, yes.

In reality, no.

I'm gonna dream a little dream.

If it makes your day a little brighter, my son, the Devils fan, still refers to the Pens as Goonsburgh from time to time :)

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Didn't watch a single minute because I went to a screening of "Annabelle" The guy playing the husband looked IDENTICAL to Beau Bennett and it was driving me nuts the entire movie. Really uncanny.

All I want to know is were they obsessively trying to force passes at the blue line instead of dumping smartly when they had to, or did they learn their lesson from the last game?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
You now, I doubt I mind Adams playing this year as I did last season when he was paired with Glass and a random low talent bum on the 4th line. He certainly has lost a step, but with the speed, talent, and grit we added, he isn't going to be the liability he was last year. You can always have one of those kinds of guys on the squad, its when you have 2 or 3 that the lack of ability gets magnified.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

Sundqvist said it himself - in Sweden he will get 20min TOI/game, here he won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad