Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Wow. Incredible value for a guy who can play on all three of your top lines and raises his game in the playoffs.

Can easily see him hitting 30+30 with 87 or 71 over a full season. Guentzel, Rakell, Smith and Rust is a great set of top-6 wings that Sully can mix and match.
lol except Sully is going to roll a Carter+Smith pair while Rust underperforms next to Sid all year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really hope they put him with Sid, honestly. I kinda hate Rust up there and am largely ambivalent towards Raks on that same line even if results are mostly better. This still leaves me scratching my head a bit as to what to do positionally. All of Rust, Raks and Smith evidently are best at RW. I know Raks has played LW before but that was with a RH center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really hope they put him with Sid, honestly. I kinda hate Rust up there and am largely ambivalent towards Raks on that same line even if results are mostly better. This still leaves me scratching my head a bit as to what to do positionally. All of Rust, Raks and Smith evidently are best at RW. I know Raks has played LW before but that was with a RH center.

I think they're going to run with Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell and Smith-Malkin-Rust. Sullivan likes righties on RW and lefties on LW and Smith is a lefty.

I also think Malkin needs a bit of a goal scoring touch on his line and I think Smith offers that.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
What a great addition. Thrives off the rush but also is a good net mouth presence. He is going to fit in perfectly. First move under Dubas is dynamite. If most of the moves under him are half as good as this, good money spent FSG.

Reactions: Vegeta and Lustaf

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Smith is taking Zucker's spot along Rust and Malkin.
Meanwhile, back in reality land and away from hypbolea, Rust spent most of the year away from Sid, Carter ended on the 4th line, and Smith is probably going to play 90% of his minutes in the top 6.
I was joking, but since we're only being serious, you guys understand that Reilly Smith is a RW almost exclusively, correct? So if he's in the top six, one of Rakell or Rust are out? But maybe you were joking too, because Smith on Geno's LW is one of the most absurd spots in the lineup for him.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think they're going to run with Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell and Smith-Malkin-Rust. Sullivan likes righties on RW and lefties on LW and Smith is a lefty.

I also think Malkin needs a bit of a goal scoring touch on his line and I think Smith offers that.

What do you mean... Malkin has Bryan "Elite Sniper" Rust on his line.

• Haha
Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guentzel-Crosby-Smith
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
X-X-X
DOC-Poehling-Carter

Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Letang
Smith-Rutta

X
DeSmith

~19 million to fill out the Xs and perhaps sign a top-4 LD if we dump Granlund as we should and sign Poehling and DOC to around $1.0m each. We’re in a GREAT spot.
Switch him and Rakell....

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was joking, but since we're only being serious, you guys understand that Reilly Smith is a RW almost exclusively, correct? So if he's in the top six, one of Rakell or Rust are out? But maybe you were joking too, because Smith on Geno's LW is one of the most absurd spots in the lineup for him.

It is very hard to tell who is joking and who is not around here.

Rakell and Rust have both played LW before in their career. If Smith can't slide over, one of them can.

Although I have to admit I have been idly wondering whether Dubas has plans to move one of them.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You're either not bringing back Zucker, or Granlund is headed out. I'd be low key OK with DOC centering the 3rd if you put Smith/Zucker on one side and Nylander on the other, or hey even Rust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad