Post-Game Talk: Pens (6) sleep walk through blowout win of supposed NHL team (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But if he "tweaks" his game...is he Phil Kessel? The good Phil Kessel? Or is he a reduced, watered down Phil Kessel?

Kessel got good playing his way. I don't believe "his way" is the "best way" for us. Instead of tweaking him I'd rather swap him out with someone that's a better fit ala Daley/Scuds and Perron/Hags.

He played differently in Boston alongside Marc Savard. He was pretty damn good at it too. Can he do it again? I don't know. I'd give him at least a full year to find out before giving up on him. Especially when a good chunk of that transition was playing under Johnston.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We're still a year away from even entertaining discussion about moving Fleury. If this team goes on a serious decline and ownership is having trouble selling the team for what they want, I'd imagine they'll want to get rid of some of the higher paid salaries at some point and replace them with ELCs. And that's if the salary cap isn't motivation enough.

Murray replacing Fleury
Sprong replacing Kessel
Wilson replacing Kunitz
Sundqvist replacing one of Fehr/Bonino
DP/Schultz replacing Daley

That's quite a bit of freed up salary.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
I like Horny alot, but man he is a bad passer, bad with puck on his stick. On line with Sid, he ****s up pretty many plays. Not saying he is a bad player, but that is weakness of Horny. Good thirdwheel, nothing more. Our first line is not enough to win in playoffs. Wilson aint that good with puck too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like Horny alot, but man he is a bad passer, bad with puck on his stick. On line with Sid, he ****s up pretty many plays. Not saying he is a bad player, but that is weakness of Horny. Good thirdwheel, nothing more. Our first line is not enough to win in playoffs. Wilson aint that good with puck too.

yeah, nobody is going to mistake Horny for a finesse player. But honestly, I'm OK with guys who won't overpass with Sid. The issue is that Horny is Sid's first option for passes, which ideally he would be the 3rd wheel as you said. We want him getting the puck at the net, along the wall, or already in shooting position. We don't want Horny being the guy trying to work give and goes.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Was at the game but it was stale for such a high scoring affair.

Enjoyed seeing sestito. You could say I have a sest for life.

Overall the game was much like a scrimmage of an a squad vs a b squad. I few Devils really stood out for effort. Penguins executed professionally.

It was nice to see that when the Devils fell behind Farnham and Tootoo didn't try to inject life later in the game. Was it sestito? Idk.

Would love to see Wilsons act for the caps with Sest to answer to. I have no problem with double shifting Crosby malkin or Cullen (or whoever is playing well in a given game) to make up for sestitos lesser TOI. His skating wasn't anything of a Colton Orr either.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Was at the game but it was stale for such a high scoring affair.

Enjoyed seeing sestito. You could say I have a sest for life.

Overall the game was much like a scrimmage of an a squad vs a b squad. I few Devils really stood out for effort. Penguins executed professionally.

It was nice to see that when the Devils fell behind Farnham and Tootoo didn't try to inject life later in the game. Was it sestito? Idk.

Would love to see Wilsons act for the caps with Sest to answer to. I have no problem with double shifting Crosby malkin or Cullen (or whoever is playing well in a given game) to make up for sestitos lesser TOI. His skating wasn't anything of a Colton Orr either.

For a smaller, softer team in a league where a lot gets let go, someone like Sestito (although preferably someone better) still has value.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
This is my stance...especially because I don't think Fleury is going to fetch half as much as people would like to think because older goalies just don't have the trade market that younger ones have, and I have less than zero interest in dealing Murray.

Look at the list of teams needing a goaltender and look at how likely they are to be legitimate competitors next year. It's a limited market, to say the least.

so, what are you saying? He'll only return a top 10 pick, not a top 5 pick?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
yes, lol. many were saying we could move maf for edm's top 5 pick this year

oh. No. MAF will never return that.

Like I said, legit NHL player for sure, but high pick, no. And that's not about MAF. That's about goalies. Not sure anyone returns a top-5 pick

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
What teams would feasibly be looking to trade for a starting goalie in the 2017 offseason? Calgary? Edmonton? Vancouver?

All three are in some stage of a rebuild so i dont think they spend assets on a 32 year old netminder. All three also have some pretty promising prospects (Gillies, Brossiot, demko).

Carolina seems like the only possible one.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Modified no trade clause that allows him to list 18 teams he can be traded. Sounds like a lot but is pretty restrictive for a goalie. All the bad teams that probably need a goalie are out of the question. But maybe he would list the teams where hes the starter.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kessel is 28. I hate to say it but this might just be who he is now. He might just be a 50-60 point 25ish goal guy. That's not terrible, but we were obviously hoping for the PPG version.

We'll have a better idea next year after a full season of him under Sully.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Modified no trade clause that allows him to list 18 teams he can be traded. Sounds like a lot but is pretty restrictive for a goalie. All the bad teams that probably need a goalie are out of the question. But maybe he would list the teams where hes the starter.

So it will be diifficult to get any significant value for him unless a starting goalie gets a career ending injury or the Pens force him out of town, which won't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad