Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Sens 5: Kunitz, Kunitz, Kunitz

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've gone over the Leafs stuff ad nauseam and I'm not doing it again. Tl;dw - Phil was the scapegoat.

What are you talking about? The Leafs have the same roster minus Kessel this year and look how much better they're doing in the standings!

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Is he scoring at an elite level... Has he ever. Hes a pointvper game player when force fed pucks and every play on the worst team in the league getsbrun through him. Hes not Alex Mogilny... He Sergei Berezin. Theres always a player that looks good on crap teams. Berezin... Czerkawsi... Dick freaking Tarnstrom.

If the rumors are true and the Pens did tlk to Kessel... Why would he need a talking to... If his stats are so elite.

Kessel has 42 more career goals than Berezin had career points. The worst comparison I've seen on a site littered with terrible comparisons.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is he scoring at an elite level... Has he ever. Hes a pointvper game player when force fed pucks and every play on the worst team in the league getsbrun through him. Hes not Alex Mogilny... He Sergei Berezin. Theres always a player that looks good on crap teams. Berezin... Czerkawsi... Dick freaking Tarnstrom.

If the rumors are true and the Pens did tlk to Kessel... Why would he need a talking to... If his stats are so elite.

Is he *currently* scoring at an elite level? No, of course not. And nobody has argued he is. What you said is he doesn't possess anything that is elite -- which is wrong. He's one of the better goal scorers in the NHL, and has proven as such over the bulk of his career.

Kessel has scored 30 goals or more 5 times in his career. He also scored 20 goals in the lockout shortened season, which is a 30+ goal pace. He's scored 80 or more points twice, and had 52 points in 48 games in the lockout year.

Sergei Berezin scored 30+ goals once in his NHL career. He also never scored 60 points in a season.

Yet, you think Berezin is a good comparison for Kessel? :help:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Kessel was kicked out of Chuck Grillo camps, exiled from Boston, banished from the Leafs... A team starved for offense. Now hes done next to nothing for 50 games with the Pens.

I know people will throw around stats but has he been dominant in any game. I mean a full game. If he has a 2 point game... He's literally made 2 good plays all game.

You look good with Robbie Brown types... You win with Joe Mullens.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Is he *currently* scoring at an elite level? No, of course not. And nobody has argued he is. What you said is he doesn't possess anything that is elite -- which is wrong. He's one of the better goal scorers in the NHL, and has proven as such over the bulk of his career.

Kessel has scored 30 goals or more 5 times in his career. He also scored 20 goals in the lockout shortened season, which is a 30+ goal pace. He's scored 80 or more points twice, and had 52 points in 48 games in the lockout year.

Sergei Berezin scored 30+ goals once in his NHL career. He also never scored 60 points in a season.

Yet, you think Berezin is a good comparison for Kessel? :help:

Again.. Youre reading your hockey almanac. Watch them play and understand how its not the 80s anymore.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kessel was kicked out of Chuck Grillo camps, exiled from Boston, banished from the Leafs... A team starved for offense. Now hes done next to nothing for 50 games with the Pens.

I know people will throw around stats but has he been dominant in any game. I mean a full game. If he has a 2 point game... He's literally made 2 good plays all game.

And here I thought you couldn't get any worse than the Kessel-Berezin comparison. You are raising the bar to ridiculous heights.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Well Malkin isn't going to get double teamed in the playoffs because the opposition coaches know what Kessel can do. Create and score on his own.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Again.. Youre reading your hockey almanac. Watch them play and understand how its not the 80s anymore.

:laugh: What? I don't even know what you're talking about now.

You compared him to Berezin. So I compared their respective careers to show he's nothing like Berezin was. And you still haven't responded to how a guy who scores goals over his career at an elite level is not elite at scoring goals. Your only quasi-response to that is "watch them play" and "Sergei Berezin clone".

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If Kessel threw hits, lots around here would be creaming their pants about him...the same people who think James Neal is better.

Kessel has been playing well for a month now, he just doesn't hit. Hell hes even been playing decent defense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A 1D player that refuses to get in shape but has good stats.

Cmon.. You had to look him up. Right?

When did Berezin have good stats?

If you're going to compare a one dimensional player to Kessel, at least find one who has actually produced like a top line player for more than one season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Cant believe sid made armstrong almost a ppg player one year.....:laugh:
Speaking of armstrong, what happened to him? Wasnt he suppose to be on ROOT a few times this year? I remember him being a guest analysis in the preseason this year.

He works for Rogers SportsNet on broadcasts usually involving one of the Western Canadian teams.

We need an upgrade on line 1 LW. We need an upgrade on lines 3 and 4 also.

I'm just saying it's not as simple as just swapping Kunitz out for a player. We're still an injury away from seeing Sheary or Cullen next to Sid again.

I think I'd try and add depth at the position that can compete with Kunitz for line 1 LW, see if Kunitz can at least be serviceable for the stretch run, and then look to deal him in the summer if you can sign his replacement.

That, or you get very lucky and you can add two quality LWs at the deadline for what we have to offer.

I don't see the point in adding two LW's, unless we are dealing Kunitz and Plotnikov. Hell, I'd be all for overhauling the entire LW situation...Kunitz, Plotnikov (because nobody likes him within the organization), Sheary, Wilson, Porter...get rid of them all.

But honestly, if the LW we acquire to play with Sid gets hurt in the playoffs, or just before, then we really can't expect much more than to have a guy like Cullen or Fehr to step into that situation.

Or, we can use Bennett. We have replacements. What we don't have is the legit LW1.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kessel is pretty much the perfect target for any media. Quiet, awkward, fairly ugly, has a fat face and he's streaky that doesn't really do anything that could be confused for physicality. There's something for everyone to dislike or make fun of, and now Crosby isn't taking all of the heat for his play anymore.

Kessel has seen an improvement in play under Sullivan like pretty much everyone else and he clicks with Hagelin. The goal scoring isn't quite there yet and Hagelin isn't scoring either, but Kessel has been doing his version of defense and has shown some real, impressive effort there a few times. Plus he's getting his chances regularly.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
A 1D player that refuses to get in shape but has good stats.

Cmon.. You had to look him up. Right?

But Kessel has always been in shape. He had the highest score on the Leafs pre-season fitness tests every year he was in Toronto. You are literally just making **** up.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Kessel threw hits, lots around here would be creaming their pants about him...the same people who think James Neal is better.

Kessel has been playing well for a month now, he just doesn't hit. Hell hes even been playing decent defense.

Anyone who thinks Neal is better then Kessel are completly out of their minds. Kessel is a top 5 RW in the NHL, or he was when he was traded here.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Kessel needs his own line to be effective.He's too useless when he doesn't have the puck.

Kunitz-Crosby-Horn
Hag-Malkin-X
X-Bone-Kessel
X-Cullen-Fehr

Figure out the rest.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kessel needs his own line to be effective.He's too useless when he doesn't have the puck.

Kunitz-Crosby-Horn
Hag-Malkin-X
X-Bone-Kessel
X-Cullen-Fehr

Figure out the rest.

Hagelin and Kessel have great chemistry and both are exceptionally fast and you want to break them up? Why?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So does a guy like Patrick Kane. Not physical, sort of one-dimensional, but can rack up points. I guess you can't win Cups with guys like that?

One dominates... They can have the same number of points but one is elite.. One hurts your team.

He has looked better in 2016 but in the end its Kessel... A far cry from Patrick Kane.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I actually think Kessel's vision and playmaking might be closer to elite than his goal scoring ability. He can snipe off the rush at an elite level, but his shot isn't diverse enough for me to call elite.

That said, the dude has great vision. he has set up Crosby for multiple back door/net front goals when he was the puck and anticipates where Sid is going to be and fires a low hard pass. Not many guys on the Pens can make that play.

I still think he is going to be very successful here. Sid, Geno, and Kessel just need to keep learning how to play together. Give Phil the puck and get open. He'll find you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad