Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Preds 0 - Crosby 3:16 Says Pens Just Whipped Your Ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

So it is upper body. In a SCF elimination game I'd assume that if he can stand up he'll be playing.

But how effective even if he does play?

Remember Karlsson? By the end of the series he was ducking any puck retrieval and could barely skate.

BTW, tonight show did a Finals piece:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

So it is upper body. In a SCF elimination game I'd assume that if he can stand up he'll be playing.

So he's compromised if he does play.

8fen5LSZcHQ5O.gif

I feel like I should mention that Kunitz had a really solid game. Hits, winning battles, good passing, etc. He's racking up a point per game in the finals, 3rd in scoring behind Sid and Jake.

He picked the perfect time to spend the last bit of iron he has left.

It's one of those games where you can't be pissed at anybody, but Kunitz did have himself a good one. Just let this be him going out in a high note.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The dude played the kind of physical game that made us all love him circa 2009. The problem is, at his age, he can only bring that sort of performance once every 40 games now.

If Kunitz played like he did last night every night, not a single person would complain about him on the roster.

Hopefully he's got one more game in him like that (I don't think my heart can take a Game 7).
Yup. It would be nice to end his Pens career on top, with us remembering what a good player he was. As long as no one in the front office gets any ideas. :help:

If this goes 7, I'm going to need some medication. And antacids. :laugh:

It's one of those games where you can't be pissed at anybody, but Kunitz did have himself a good one. Just let this be him going out in a high note.
Exactly.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I doubt he will sit in an elimination game in the cup finals unless forced to. Ellis i mean.

Of course, but again how effective will he be? Karlsson by the end of the Ottawa series is a good example.

Watch to see if he ducks puck retrieval in the corner as Karlsson did by the last couple of games, and you know that Kuntiz and others are going to finish checks hard on him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Of course, but again how effective will he be? Karlsson by the end of the Ottawa series is a good example.

Watch to see if he ducks puck retrieval in the corner as Karlsson did by the last couple of games, and you know that Kuntiz and others are going to finish checks hard on him.

If he plays i want Pens to run him all game long. Make him regret playing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I kind of wish the Pens' physical guys (Kunitz, Hornqvist, Wilson, Rowney) would have been doing that all series long to Nashville's defense. The kind of physical abuse they dished out last night was great, but IMO, it was lacking in Games 1 to 4.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

We should know early on. The Pens will dump the puck in his corner and watch and see if he goes back to get the puck or lets his partner do it. If he ducks out like Karlsson did, he is really hobbled. If not then hammer him hard every single time. I would not even mind a boarding call on a hit.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Just bumped into Kessel and Tocchet. Very nice guys. Phil refused to guarantee a W in Nashville :p

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
We should know early on. The Pens will dump the puck in his corner and watch and see if he goes back to get the puck or lets his partner do it. If he ducks out like Karlsson did, he is really hobbled. If not then hammer him hard every single time. I would not even mind a boarding call on a hit.

I guess Subban is really hobbled because he's been bailing out of hits all series long.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
We've all heard it (or even said it ourselves) before, that Crosby hasn't had that dominant Finals that has cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players of all time. Last night though considering the stage, was probably his best performance of his career. He was dominant all over the ice. Offensively, defensively, I'm not sure I've ever seen that level from him since maybe the Caps series in '09. That wasn't in the Finals, though.

Considering how vaunted Nashville's defence is considered to be, that is pretty crazy. Crosby wants another Cup. Bad. If they win the Cup in the next game or two and he plays like he did yesterday we will have seen something truly remarkable.

This whole team, what they've been through with all the injuries throughout these playoffs, to be 1 win from back to back championships which hasn't happened since an absolutely stacked Red Wings team did it nearly 20 years ago is amazing. Even a guy like Kunitz who is just a shell of his former self has found another level lately. Fleury out right stealing games. We really have to take it all in and appreciate what could be happening here because back to backs in this day and age is extremely rare.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We've all heard it (or even said it ourselves) before, that Crosby hasn't had that dominant Finals that has cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players of all time. Last night though considering the stage, was probably his best performance of his career. He was dominant all over the ice. Offensively, defensively, I'm not sure I've ever seen that level from him since maybe the Caps series in '09. That wasn't in the Finals, though.

Considering how vaunted Nashville's defence is considered to be, that is pretty crazy. Crosby wants another Cup. Bad. If they win the Cup in the next game or two and he plays like he did yesterday we will have seen something truly remarkable.

This whole team, what they've been through with all the injuries throughout these playoffs, to be 1 win from back to back championships which hasn't happened since an absolutely stacked Red Wings team did it nearly 20 years ago is amazing. Even a guy like Kunitz who is just a shell of his former self has found another level lately. Fleury out right stealing games. We really have to take it all in and appreciate what could be happening here because back to backs in this day and age is extremely rare.

Rare implies that it's happened in this era and it hasn't. No team has won back to back cups in the salary cap era. Detroit made the finals back to back and the Pens are on their second go of back to back SCF appearances but no one has repeated. The Pens could be the first to accomplish it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
[/B]

Would not be surprised if Ellis had an ongoing issue with his hip joint labrum. It would be a **** shame if the light hit he took (and his reaction from it) that further degeneration occurred.

He took a knee to the ribs - where there's no padding. Hagelin (I think) tried to go around/over him as he cut him off along the boards, and ended up kneeing him hard in the ribs. When he went off the ice immediately afterwards, the camera caught a shot of it as the trainer was looking at it, and it was already a very ugly red. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's bruised, cracked or broken - and in fact I'd expect one of the former ones at the very least.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Rare implies that it's happened in this era and it hasn't. No team has won back to back cups in the salary cap era. Detroit made the finals back to back and the Pens are on their second go of back to back SCF appearances but no one has repeated. The Pens could be the first to accomplish it.

I was going to say it never happens but hopefully within the next week that is proven wrong so I said rare instead. ;)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I kind of wish the Pens' physical guys (Kunitz, Hornqvist, Wilson, Rowney) would have been doing that all series long to Nashville's defense. The kind of physical abuse they dished out last night was great, but IMO, it was lacking in Games 1 to 4.

And if they'd been doing it to Ekholm all series long, then we should have received at least a few more PPs from that coward for his retaliation slashes that he gives out every single time he gets hit.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I went to the game. The atmosphere was incredible. Even before puck drop the crowd was so loud and ready to go. The team was fired up. Was amazing. Sid was a beast. If we close this thing out that's the performance that just won him the Conn Smythe.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ellis will play, but his play will be affected. Take advantage of it. Like we did with Karlsson and Brassard.

Hornqvist is also at 50%. He'd be doing a lot more out there if healthy. So if anything this just evens things up a little more. However we have the deeper roster...this hurts the preds more.

We will get our chances early. Need to finish and put them away. And if they can't cash in early, we need Murray to stop their chances (which he didn't in games 3 and 4) to at least give us a chance in the 3rd period. Both games were decided before the 3rd period started.

So if we aren't going to jump out to a 2 goal lead and take over...at least have a chance in the 3rd to win it this time.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ellis will play, but his play will be affected. Take advantage of it. Like we did with Karlsson and Brassard.

Hornqvist is also at 50%. He'd be doing a lot more out there if healthy. So if anything this just evens things up a little more. However we have the deeper roster...this hurts the preds more.

We will get our chances early. Need to finish and put them away. And if they can't cash in early, we need Murray to stop their chances (which he didn't in games 3 and 4) to at least give us a chance in the 3rd period. Both games were decided before the 3rd period started.

So if we aren't going to jump out to a 2 goal lead and take over...at least have a chance in the 3rd to win it this time.

From being at the game I can tell you Horny played pretty well. His hands don't look 100% to me though. Has trouble catching passes and shooting. But he had a lot of jump. He's actually a lot faster in person.

These past two games are the blueprint of how we beat this Preds team. In game 4 we lost, yes, but the shots were almost even and we had plenty of good chances to score. If we can keep the shots close or in our favor as we have the past two games that's going to give us a great chance to win because our finishing > their finishing and our goalie > their goalie.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just glad Sully finally took Rust off the first line. Imagine if that happened sooner? Series could already be over. We all knew it here. I don't know why it took so long. Sheary/Hornqvist have always been much better with Sid than Rust and Rust has always been much better on a different line.

Didn't take long to cash in on that switch either. Rust with 7 goals, the guy would probably have over 10 if that move was made earlier.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
From being at the game I can tell you Horny played pretty well. His hands don't look 100% to me though. Has trouble catching passes and shooting. But he had a lot of jump. He's actually a lot faster in person.

These past two games are the blueprint of how we beat this Preds team. In game 4 we lost, yes, but the shots were almost even and we had plenty of good chances to score. If we can keep the shots close or in our favor as we have the past two games that's going to give us a great chance to win because our finishing > their finishing and our goalie > their goalie.

Yeah his hands are what I'm referring to. He'd have a couple goals in this series around the net, if not for the injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad