Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I know exactly what you meant. A goalie with 4 NHL games to his credit that hasn't been in the league in 7 years, facing off against a powerhouse team and the defending champs, with the greatest goal scorer of this generation? What could possibly go wrong?

Hopefully the Oilers stop this losing streak because I really don't think they'll win in Nashville.

They lose or they win? Maybe Koskininen plays really well like other goalies for other teams have in the past? You seem to have made your prophesy already though.

Talbot isn't playing well. Time to try the other guy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They lose or they win? Maybe Koskininen plays really well like other goalies for other teams have in the past? You seem to have made your prophesy already though.

Talbot isn't playing well. Time to try the other guy.
The time to try him was against the Rangers. Throwing him to the wolves seems like a stupid idea. And you mention other goalies for other teams... Those are other teams. This is the Oilers, a team that has had defensive struggles for about 12 years now.

I don't think they'll beat the Caps but I'd love to be proven wrong seeing as I'll be there.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I don't know about that... I thought that McDavid's pp goal was pretty weak. Murray had time to square up and got beat 7-hole. In a show down of "great goalie vs great shooter" it was still a stoppable shot and it wasn't. All things relative of course, but when I let in a 7-hole goal and I was square and ready, I'm still pretty pissed with myself, even if it is the best shooter in the league.

As far as I saw it:

Goal 1 Pitts: Crosby deflection from 2 feet to the side of the net. Talbot's out to cut the angle, so there will definitely be space behind him and it was well exploited. Good goal.

Goal 1 Oil: Drai snipes a shot over the pad (stick side) from just above the hash marks. Nice shot, can't really blame Murray cuz while he was set, it was a scrambly play with a little traffic..., but on a perfect night he might have that.

Goal 2 Oil: Chaisson picks up a funny rebound off a skate and snipes it bar down while falling. Murray isn't getting that.

Goal 2 Pens: Oleksiak finishes a three man passing play shooting five hole. Talbot's a bit deep and not quite square. That's probably his weakest of the game.

Goal 3 Pens: Bang-bang play from behind the net and the pass is deflected. Talbot is down early and is deep, but that can happen if he's playing the "untipped" pass. The deflection throws timing off, but you'd still like him a little more agressive on that (either tipping the pass or pushing off the post to the top of the crease). I agree he has that when he's on his game.

Goal 3 Oil: Chiasson from Reider. Great goal, no blame.

Goal 4 Pens: Hornquist goal. We discussed already... no fault of Talbot. Just what are the defense trying to do on that play? Clearly not much other than cause traffic and fail to clear rebounds on two very nice saves.

Goal 4 Oil: McDavid 7 hole on the power play. As I said above... weak. As weak as goal 2 for the Pens and weaker (in my goaltending opinion) than goal 3 of the pens.

Goal 5 Oil: Drai from McDavid... Murray isn't stopping that.

Goal 5 Pens: Crap defending leading to a free slapper on goal while 5 oilers are between Talbot and the puck... three of them between his eyes and the puck and nobody does a darn thing other than back in so he can see even less. If any of you are defenders, this is the type of goal that makes your goalie lose his marbles. If you aren't going to do anything, get out of the way! I place zero blame on Talbot for this one.

Breakaway in OT? Talbot has it. There's your payback for his weakest goal.

Goal 6 Pens: Crosby's individual effort. Talbot tracks him across properly (unlike Nurse who doesn't recognize the danger of having Crosby challenge Strome) and poor Strome who simply loses his jock strap. Can't blame Talbot on this one... I'd probably like to see Nurse switch checks with Strome once that play comes down low... poor team play/awareness there.

If you want to assign "blame" on goals, then the score was either 2-1 Pens victory or 2-2, depending on whether you think Murray should stop Drai's first goal.

So did Murray play a better game? Sure, he had plenty more action, but did Talbot "lose" the game on the basis of having fewer shots? No way.

Note to Oilers: if you want to be a GOOD team, you must still win when your goalie is outplayed. If you have a mid-tier starter (which Talbot is) that's going to happen (on average) 40-60% of the time. Are we just going to concede those games and blame it on goaltending? What a cop-out.... everybody shows up to the rink knowing Murray is a better goalie, just like everyone knows Letang is better than any of our D, and Kessel better than any of our wingers... you deal with it. That's what teams do!

Great Post. I agree Talbot was a little outplayed but didn't lose the team the game. The Oilers allow a lot of goals where their players are floating and not getting to their defensive assignments. With an experienced team like Pittsburgh those defensive lapses were exploited on a night when the Oilers had the better of the play.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
.500 thus far is pretty solid IMO. Cant be too upset. Good to see Klefbom and Drai starting to look good. That is the biggest thing for me

Got to make a compilation of Russell sliding around the ice to show to young hockey players to show them how not to play defense. I dont know which pkay was more embarassing, the starfish on the Hornqvist goal, or the pilon impression on the Oleksiak goal:

Reactions: Aerrol

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Strome has played just about every OT with RNH since McDavid and Draisaitl got put together. He got caught on a long shift in a one on one against the second best player in the world, I'm not gonna fault him for that. I really wanted to win, but if you're going to lose to the Penguins, losing in OT is an okay way to do it. Generally I think Strome and RNH do a pretty good job in OT (RNH is a fantastic 3v3 player), so I'm perfectly fine with him being out there in OT.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know about that... I thought that McDavid's pp goal was pretty weak. Murray had time to square up and got beat 7-hole. In a show down of "great goalie vs great shooter" it was still a stoppable shot and it wasn't. All things relative of course, but when I let in a 7-hole goal and I was square and ready, I'm still pretty pissed with myself, even if it is the best shooter in the league.

As far as I saw it:

Goal 1 Pitts: Crosby deflection from 2 feet to the side of the net. Talbot's out to cut the angle, so there will definitely be space behind him and it was well exploited. Good goal.

Goal 1 Oil: Drai snipes a shot over the pad (stick side) from just above the hash marks. Nice shot, can't really blame Murray cuz while he was set, it was a scrambly play with a little traffic..., but on a perfect night he might have that.

Goal 2 Oil: Chaisson picks up a funny rebound off a skate and snipes it bar down while falling. Murray isn't getting that.

Goal 2 Pens: Oleksiak finishes a three man passing play shooting five hole. Talbot's a bit deep and not quite square. That's probably his weakest of the game.

Goal 3 Pens: Bang-bang play from behind the net and the pass is deflected. Talbot is down early and is deep, but that can happen if he's playing the "untipped" pass. The deflection throws timing off, but you'd still like him a little more agressive on that (either tipping the pass or pushing off the post to the top of the crease). I agree he has that when he's on his game.

Goal 4 Pens: Hornquist goal. We discussed already... no fault of Talbot. Just what are the defense trying to do on that play? Clearly not much other than cause traffic and fail to clear rebounds on two very nice saves.

Goal 4 Oil: McDavid 7 hole on the power play. As I said above... weak. As weak as goal 2 for the Pens and weaker (in my goaltending opinion) than goal 3 of the pens.

Goal 5 Pens: Crap defending leading to a free slapper on goal while 5 oilers are between Talbot and the puck... three of them between his eyes and the puck and nobody does a darn thing other than back in so he can see even less. If any of you are defenders, this is the type of goal that makes your goalie lose his marbles. If you aren't going to do anything, get out of the way! I place zero blame on Talbot for this one.

Goal 6 Pens: Crosby's individual effort. Talbot tracks him across properly (unlike Nurse who doesn't recognize the danger of having Crosby challenge Strome) and poor Strome who simply loses his jock strap. Can't blame Talbot on this one... I'd probably like to see Nurse switch checks with Strome once that play comes down low... poor team play/awareness there.

If you want to assign "blame" on goals, then the score was either 2-1 Pens victory or 2-2, depending on whether you think Murray should stop Drai's first goal.

So did Murray play a better game? Sure, he had plenty more action, but did Talbot "lose" the game on the basis of having fewer shots? No way.

Note to Oilers: if you want to be a GOOD team, you must still win when your goalie is outplayed. If you have a mid-tier starter (which Talbot is) that's going to happen (on average) 40-60% of the time. Are we just going to concede those games and blame it on goaltending? What a cop-out.... everybody shows up to the rink knowing Murray is a better goalie, just like everyone knows Letang is better than any of our D, and Kessel better than any of our wingers... you deal with it. That's what teams do!

Great post. Thanks for breaking it down. The only part I disagree with is the first Eleksiuk goal. That was picture perfect execution and of a variety that on our team, only McD and Drai make. I mention that because Talbot is dealing with skill in the game from Countless Pens players. Murray is not.

I mentioned in the PGT that the Pens have a dozen players that are decent goal scorers. The Oilers have 3-4 depending on whether we consider Lucic one. The skill differential that the respective goalies are facing is astounding. You wouldn't even know from that the NHL is a capped league. The Pens roster is head and shoulders better than ours.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Also, have the Oilers scored the first goal of the game once this year? They've been improving every game in my opinion, which is good, but goddamn it would be nice to have a good start to a game for once.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

As far as I saw it:

This post isn't getting the love it clearly deserves.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I know exactly what you meant. A goalie with 4 NHL games to his credit that hasn't been in the league in 7 years, facing off against a powerhouse team and the defending champs, with the greatest goal scorer of this generation? What could possibly go wrong?

Hopefully the Oilers stop this losing streak because I really don't think they'll win in Nashville.

Yeah, I don't see them winning against Nashville again, so getting another win to go .500 after the week would be nice. I think if they can get out of this tough month at that, we have a good shot at playoffs (considering how weak the division is at the moment).

Too bad about the cap situation here. Bobrovsky could be had on a solid contract. If by some miracle we dump a bad contract, I would like to see Oilers take a stab at getting him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have to give a shout-out to my man Larsson!

Most has been said already but I'll add that I thought both sides of our top pair were great. Klefbom had some more visual moments vs Crosby and on the PP (block/pass which was a "3rd assist") but Larsson also had a good night. Physical against Crosby and Malkin and jumping up in the play more often than usual. He also on more than one occassion actively called out for the puck to start the breakout or in the o-zone. I like that, means he wants to play and not just be a passenger.

5 SOG in his last 2 GP (normally he shoots about 1 per GP), and that's vs NSH and PIT. Also another beauty of a stretch pass to Rieder which led to Chiasson's 2nd of the night. His 2 assists on the season have been really good ones, no "free" points for him yet (with free I mean pts involving McD...).

Edit: @Mr Tadakichi beat me to it, but just barely.

Edit 2:
Here's the big man

7b556371203efd54976709e0f031bb50.png

Last edited:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

As far as I saw it:

Great analysis. It is always interesting to read this type of stuff from someone who plays the position. I never really played Ice Hockey so I don't understand that perspective. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

As far as I saw it:

Great post. I somewhat disagree with the Goal 5 Pens though. Poor defensive coverage for sure, but I thought Talbot didnt have good rebound control on that shot. I think if he was on his game, he would of kicked it out to a better spot.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Lucic and Strome look to have some chemistry. Lucic on the 3rd line doesn't have me getting angry like him bobbling pucks in the top 6 does.

Klefbom and Larsson solid with another great stretch pass from Larsson.

Mcdavid is mcdavid.

All the talk about elite centers got to Drai I thought he looked good. Still putting up points in previous games but seemed more engaged this game.

Am I the only one who forgets how big Malkin is?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lucic and Strome look to have some chemistry. Lucic on the 3rd line doesn't have me getting angry like him bobbling pucks in the top 6 does.

Klefbom and Larsson solid with another great stretch pass from Larsson.

Mcdavid is mcdavid.

All the talk about elite centers got to Drai I thought he looked good. Still putting up points in previous games but seemed more engaged this game.

Am I the only one who forgets how big Malkin is?
I wonder if part of the problem is something similar to what Letustu and McDavid said about the PP a couple years ago. Essentially just play your game and don't try to be something your not.

Lots of times when guys get putting into those offensive situations they over think and don't play the game that they usually do

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's my new observation... let's see if it gets flamed.

Kyle Brodziak is a dud. Brought in chiefly for his defensive abilities (and faceoffs).

Through 6 games... he's -6 and has added what else to the team? He's come as advertised when it comes to faceoffs... over 55% on the dot so I'll give him that.

I guess he helps a little on the PK (4th most SH TOI among Oilers forwards)... but that's just 1:15 per game. Not that the PK has been that great anyway... but that's a team stat as well.

The rest of the time he looks like a negative out there. 3 shots in 6 games?

I realize he's only getting put out there for 8 minutes a game which is on the coaches as well obviously who are pushing McDavid extra hard at centre which takes time away from other centres... but cmon 3 shots, no pts, -6 and really not noticeable out there is not what I expected from him.

Letestu was just as good as this guy... if not better.

Let's see if Brodziak can actually be a positive out there when he plays a few more games... if not... call up Benson or keep up Marody full time as they actually may have more upside than this declining asset.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I realize he's only getting put out there for 8 minutes a game which is on the coaches as well obviously who are pushing McDavid extra hard at centre which takes time away from other centres... but cmon 3 shots, no pts, -6 and really not noticeable out there is not what I expected from him.

You can't even blame Todd for this.

In Brodziak's 8 minutes last night he got scored on 4 times.

Of course the coaches aren't playing him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No doubt Talbot got outplayed but the Pens were allowed to walk into his crease at every given opportunity. Many preventable goals and we had more giveaways than them too.

That Kassian pass to a Penguin is the stuff of nightmares and sure enough it was in the back of the net seconds later.

Yep. Sometime quality is better than quantity. Murray made more saves, but the number of good scoring chances were pretty equal.

Talbot made an amazing save at the start of OT to save the game and it wasn’t even acknowledged in the GDT.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep. Sometime quality is better than quantity. Murray made more saves, but the number of good scoring chances were pretty equal.

Talbot made an amazing save at the start of OT to save the game and it wasn’t even acknowledged in the GDT.
The defensive gap on Letang's breakaway could've had two Zambonis side by side drive through it. :laugh: I yelled at my screen "What the f*** are you doing?!"

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kassian did too. The fourth line sucked something fierce last night.
That was the biggest disappoint or negative from last night. Besides their penchant for just giving up that goal.

Lots of positive from last night.

Gravel looked solid, and the rest of the top-4 defense had a strong night.
Marody, along with his line, looked good, really effective doing everything but scoring.

Biggest things for me, were Yamamoto looking more and more like quality NHL forward and Draisailt looking like he's found his game again.

All this said, still unhappy they lost, but there are positives here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad