Post-Game Talk: Pens-5, Sabres-1

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I really think a lot of the people on HF watch the game just waiting for the slightest little mistake so they can scream at their TV and bang away with the negative comments in a nerd rage. I use to read every post game thread for the insights, now I avoid most of them because the venom makes them unbearable.

at first i read this and thought you were saying I was being negative, but then my reading comprehension kicked in... :)

For those that missed it, Crosby and Ott had words because away from the puck Ott backed his big arse into crosby's leg and even Milbury (the guy who hates the Penguins) said it was a borderline hit.

I don't understand the love affair of Ott by some here. If we could get him for cheap, maybe, but I wouldn't give up anything significant for him. He just can't skate fast enough. If people haven't noticed we look our best when we have faster players in the lineup. Last year we got slower at the deadline, it (and fleury) almost cost us against the islanders, and the one thing that *will* break down Boston is speed. Toronto was doing it until they imploded, we have to stop trying to beat boston at their game, we don't have the personnel to do it. Speed will beat them and almost every team in the league. Not saying we want to be butter soft, but we want to get faster, not slower with aquisitions, imo...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Is it normal that I don't even care about Glass anymore? I mean this year the guy has been surprisingly ok doing his job and giving his all every shift. Maybe it's juts me but me, but I find he has played very well so far this year. Adams, well that's another story

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Wonderful goals by Sid and Geno in last night's game. If they scored those in a playoff series against a good team they'd immediately ascend to Mount Olympus. Good game overall, but the quality of opponent wasn't exactly worth writing home about.

Is it normal that I don't even care about Glass anymore? I mean this year the guy has been surprisingly ok doing his job and giving his all every shift. Maybe it's juts me but me, but I find he has played very well so far this year. Adams, well that's another story

Glass looks like an average bottom 6 bruiser this year. He's not a complete liability at all times like Adams is. He's probably one of the three best choices for the fourth line when everyone's healthy.

penguins2946*

Glass hasn't been bad this year. I don't know why people hate him so much. Adams has been infinitely worse.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Glass hasn't been bad this year. I don't know why people hate him so much. Adams has been infinitely worse.

He's still been bad this year. The start of the season he did pretty well and then November happened. He started to go down hill and then broke his hand. Once his hand was healed, he was back in the lineup and was playing like last season's Glass. This last week or so, he has been back to the good version of Glass.

penguins2946*

He's still been bad this year. The start of the season he did pretty well and then November happened. He started to go down hill and then broke his hand. Once his hand was healed, he was back in the lineup and was playing like last season's Glass. This last week or so, he has been back to the good version of Glass.

I'm not sure, his play hasn't bothered me this year. Maybe that's because Adams makes him look good by comparison.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

He hasn't been bad, no. But for his cap you'd want more and the cap savings we could have from him could be used elsewhere.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The only people who think Glass has been bad this year are the people who mistakenly think that possessing the puck is an important hockey skill.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The only people who think Glass has been bad this year are the people who mistakenly think that possessing the puck is an important hockey skill.

Glass has almost 4x as many points as Bennett in 3.5x the number of games (11 points in 42 games VS 3 points in 12 games) :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He hasn't been bad, no. But for his cap you'd want more and the cap savings we could have from him could be used elsewhere.

1.1 million, you ain't going to get that much cheaper than that. It's not easy to have only players at 750 000 and that 300 000 savings ain't gonna get you much

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Glass has almost 4x as many points as Bennett in 3.5x the number of games (11 points in 42 games VS 3 points in 12 games) :laugh:

heh

I don't even care about his point totals. I'd be fine with low point totals if he could actually maintain possession of the puck for more than a second.

Last night was the first time in... forever? that we saw sustained forechecking and cycling from the 3rd and 4th lines. Even Adams looked somewhat competent. It was crazy.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Glass has been much better this season than last. However, like others have said, Sill, Zolnierczyk, Megna, Gibbons, and others could do a similar or better job at a cheaper price.

penguins2946*

That being said about Glass, I'd much rather have Scrabbles on the 4th line than Glass. A Scrabbles-Vitale-Sill 3rd line would be awesome.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
How many penalties has Z drawn? It has to be a pretty good amount for the number of games he's played. With the #1 PP, that's a pretty damn important thing to have in the lineup.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like Scrabbles. His speed was a big factor in why the 4th line looked competent IMO. Out of all the options for the 4th line, I think I'd go with Scrabbles-Vitale-Glass/Engelland. The speed of Scrabbles and Vitale would back defenders off like crazy. They would chip and win races to the puck which allows them to actually, you know, possess the puck. I put Glass in there instead of Engel because Bylsma needs a PK forward on the 4th line and thinks Glass is awesome at it.

I know it was one game for Scrabbles, but I've liked him in most of the games I've seen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
1.1 million, you ain't going to get that much cheaper than that. It's not easy to have only players at 750 000 and that 300 000 savings ain't gonna get you much

Zolniercyzk makes $550k. As does Brian Gibbons. Potentially $550k there to be saved.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't really take anything out of this game from the pens side, Buffalo was just terrible last night.

That's not true at all. Buffalo looked very dangerous in the 1st and played hard for most of it. The pens turned it on in the second and played a very good game. Of course, the Pens talent should have won them that game anyway, but it was encouraging to see the hustle and effort from the Pens consistently throughout the game.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's not true at all. Buffalo looked very dangerous in the 1st and played hard for most of it. The pens turned it on in the second and played a very good game. Of course, the Pens talent should have won them that game anyway, but it was encouraging to see the hustle and effort from the Pens consistently throughout the game.

I disagree, i thought Buffalo was awful, they were missing some of there better players last night, the defense on Sid's and Geno's goal was laughable.

Buffalo will literally be like an AHL team after the TDL.

Eli Cash

Apr 7, 2004
Buffalo, NY
How many penalties has Z drawn? It has to be a pretty good amount for the number of games he's played. With the #1 PP, that's a pretty damn important thing to have in the lineup.

According to extraskater.com, Z has drawn 7 penalties in 10 games. It's a small sample size, but he's the best in the league when you take out guys who have played 2-3 games. I was at the game last night and he definitely drew my attention every time he was on the ice.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Is Fleury a Vezina candidate at the moment? I don't really care one way or the other, I just want him to be solid in the playoffs but he's playing amazing right now. It's almost tempting to say he should have been on Team Canada but I'm a Pens fan (I know better ;) :().

IMO, if he wasn't named Fleury he would be. MAF's POs have really put a black mark on his name right now.

He might be top 5 though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad