Post-Game Talk: Pens-5, Sabres-1

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Engo responded to Ott's hit on Zolnierczyk. That stuff with Crosby and Ott and Scott happened later in the game.

But yeah, Engo's fight seemed to have sparked the team tonight. Good job there from Engo.

Scott and Crosby had words fairly early in the first as well.

I really wish the Pens had someone who could stir things up like Ott.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I dunno, I'm liking Engo less and less as a forward each game I see. He seems to be out of position more often than not in the defensive zone. He sits in no man's land instead of getting out to his man. He's (understandably) not good at taking lead passes. It's good to have someone big out there, but he's playing like an enforcer with an ok shot in my eyes. He was better earlier in the year.

Awesome game by the team tonight. A few soft plays by the usual suspects but otherwise we won a game we should have.

I'd like Gibbons to stay up more than Megna. I wouldn't mind Bennett - Sutter - Gibbons if we get someone for Sid's line. That's a third line that won't make many mistakes and will actually chip in offense more often than not. 4th line of Glass - Vitale - Megna would have the speed to actually buzz around and be effective. Throw Engo out there if punishment is required.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

Alright, I must have missed that. Crosby did something going on with Ehrhoff behind the play before that stuff with Ott later on but didn't see him having any words with Scott before Scott came to Ott's rescue for the second time in the game.

But the fight was a response to Ott's hit on Z, right? That's how I saw it. Engo challenged Ott, he backed off and Scott came to answer for Ott's actions.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Sill does it, Bortuzzo trolls, Zolnierczyk does something irritating and Despres seemed to be getting into annoying people who aren't a part of the Pens organization. Anyway, they have a number of players who could be doing something in the vein of Ott, but none of them will play when they get healthy.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I dunno, I'm liking Engo less and less as a forward each game I see. He seems to be out of position more often than not in the defensive zone. He sits in no man's land instead of getting out to his man. He's (understandably) not good at taking lead passes. It's good to have someone big out there, but he's playing like an enforcer with an ok shot in my eyes. He was better earlier in the year.

The right wing responsibilities are not rocket science, he'll do fine with a bit more experience and a training camp. I'd love to have him back at a mil as a 4th liner. He's a true enforcer, and will pot 10 goals over a full season as a winger simply because he goes to the net. That's more than our entire healthy 4th line will.

The guy is fearless out there. I hope we keep him.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Enjoyed the game. As the announcers mentioned, things started to pick up once Scrabble got hit.
I'm probably in the minority, but I think MAF should be in the discussion for the Vezina. There just seems something different about his game this season. He is much calmer that's for sure. And I am pretty happy that he DIDN'T make the Olympic team. He'll get a nice break and be ready to finish the season strong.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sill does it, Bortuzzo trolls, Zolnierczyk does something irritating and Despres seemed to be getting into annoying people who aren't a part of the Pens organization. Anyway, they have a number of players who could be doing something in the vein of Ott, but none of them will play when they get healthy.

Those guys do to an extent, but none of them are dedicated agitators like Ott and most of them aren't talented enough to be as big of a factor as Ott can be. Maybe Uher can be in a couple of years, but there's not really anyone who can move up the line up as a forward and play that style.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Credit to Engelland for going with Scott after Scott got in Crosby's face.

He lost, but he stood in there, and it seemed to spark the team.

Could be wrong, but I believe the only time Scott got in Crosby's face was after that fight.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
always interesting reading comments and wondering if everyone is watching the same game. Gibbons made some good things happens on the shifts he had out there with Crosby, that shot off the faceoff was a goal scorers shot. Not saying we are saved and he's our top 6 winger we've been waiting for. But he is playing damn well, he's everywhere on the ice and many times he is anticipating the play and heading to where the puck will be. *that* is a sign of very high hockey IQ.

sure he is an extra from hobbiton but still I for one am pretty pleased with what he is providing as an AHL call up and think he is soon to be a permanent NHL'er.

Harry Z, speed kills, enough said.

Maatta. This kid will be our best defensemen by the end of next year if his progression continues like this. Certainly top 2. He is that good and progressing that much. I love the battle level he brings to every shift, he truely doesn't like getting beat.

The speed we had in the lineup was very noticeable. The one thing that will get you by teams that are bigger/more physical is speed. Harry Z. Megna and Gibbons gave us speed on 3 different lines. That extra speedy forward backs off the defense and creates chances. Whether it pays off in the playoffs depends on obstruction and calling of the rule book.

Too bad we can't play buffalo in the playoffs :)

I really think a lot of the people on HF watch the game just waiting for the slightest little mistake so they can scream at their TV and bang away with the negative comments in a nerd rage. I use to read every post game thread for the insights, now I avoid most of them because the venom makes them unbearable.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Could be wrong, but I believe the only time Scott got in Crosby's face was after that fight.

Bourque mentioned that Scott and Crosby had an exchange earlier in the 1st as well, away from the play. Unless he mistook Scott for someone else, but that'd probably be pretty hard to do, considering he's the only massive neanderthal out there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid and Geno were flying tonight. This is the kind of hockey I look forward to watching; seeing two elite talents showcasing that elite skill. Enthusiasm tempered only slightly because it was against Buffalo.

I hope the club re-signs Engelland. He's the only guy who can actually fight the big boys, he's proving he can play either 4th line forward or as a defenseman during injuries, and he's actually not devoid of skill for an enforcer. Obviously depends on the price tag, but if he can be had for cheap, I hope Shero keeps him.

I actually thought Gibbons looked good tonight. Ironically, I thought he looked better when he was with Sutter and Megna rather than Crosby and Kunitz.

Kunitz still looks like ass. He's back to handling the puck like he's using Pascal Dupuis' hockey sticks. Hopefully he doesn't make Team Canada regret bringing him to Sochi.

They had a couple of rough patches, but overall I love the Maatta/Niskanen pairing. To be honest, I have more faith when that pairing is on the ice than any of the other pairings. Maatta, in particular, is impressing with his poise and instincts.

Positionally, I thought Orpik was actually pretty good tonight. He runs into trouble whenever the puck is actually on his stick. I thought Scuderi was shakier than Orpik tonight.

Ott would be a big addition for the Pens. Whether it's bottom six depth, or even as the "Kunitz" for the Malkin and Neal line, I think he's exactly the kind of forward this team could use. A guy who is skilled enough to play with some talent, but also adds grit and sandpaper.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno is just so strong when he gets in that beast mode. He's so hard to knock off the puck. I love watching it. Glad to see Sid burst with speed a few times in this game. Was he just checking if he still had it? Maybe he's just showing us WHY he's resting a bit. Insane speed from Sid.

I think we are definitely in the dog days of the season. Even as a fan, I'm excited to take a short break for the Olympics. It's a long long long season.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
Complain about defense on a team that's #5 in the league in GAA.....
Complain about Adams and Glass who kill penalties for the #1 PK team in the league..

Holy Cow...just enjoy the ride...I know it was "just Buffalo"...but they went on the road and dominated as they should have.

BTW...when looking at Fleury's stats?...remove all the part time Jabrones above him and you'll find him top 5 in GAA and top 10 in Save pct.

I love this team, and we don't even have Letang and Bennett playing.

Going to be a fun ride this spring

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
I really think a lot of the people on HF watch the game just waiting for the slightest little mistake so they can scream at their TV and bang away with the negative comments in a nerd rage. I use to read every post game thread for the insights, now I avoid most of them because the venom makes them unbearable.

Pretty much. I used to think that it was just a Pittsburgh thing - don't ever venture to any Pitt boards - but then I moved to Chicago and it's just really a thing with some sports fans with entitlement issues and/or otherwise unfulfilling lives.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Complain about Adams and Glass who kill penalties for the #1 PK team in the league..

I don't understand how you can watch a game and not notice sore thumbs - not to mention watching many games and noticing that the sore thumbs are almost always the same.

Then watch some players coming up as injury relief do much better than said sore thumbs - and know that the sore thumbs will stay just the same when those injuries are no more.

We all know that it is an elite team just the same.

Hopefully yes, it certainly ought to be. Unfortunately the sore thumbs stick out more when good teams are devoting all their efforts to shutting down and interfering with Sid and Malkin. Hence the desire to have less sore thumbs, and more players who can either create problems with speed or physical play.

For the record, most of us griping about these things enjoy watching hockey a lot. Particularly Pens hockey. Otherwise we wouldn't do it so much.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side

Holy Cow...just enjoy the ride...I know it was "just Buffalo"...but they went on the road and dominated as they should have.

BTW...when looking at Fleury's stats?...remove all the part time Jabrones above him and you'll find him top 5 in GAA and top 10 in Save pct.

That.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Crosby should get atleast 4 points in that game. He was dominant. Difference between line 1 and 2 is that line 1 cant score those kind of goals which neal did. Simple goal.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
And oh boys, engo is starting to earn my respect. I actually really do like him in fourth line. Gotta give credit for bylsma about that, but dont get me wrong, bylsma is still ***. :cry:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I really hope he keeps winning and his numbers start to get better again, imagine him being rumored to be a front runner for the Vezina? It's that type of year MAF needs to believe in himself again, which I doubt he ever did stop, only for a brief moment in last year's run maybe, but I think this year he shuts some of the haters in our fan base up.

For a guy that was rock solid in 2008 (I mean those numbers, damn) and then in 2009 he was great when the team needed him to be (talks about how he wouldn't have 2 bad games in a row proved to be true)..then knowing how turdtastic the team has played in the past 5yrs, including him, not just him, the entire team, I am going to give him hope like I am going to give Sid hope for not imploding and doing stupid stuff and going pointless when the team needs him, etc. Funny how some get excuses, others don't.

In any case, it was nice to see a complete game out of the Pens against the Sabres and they didn't bite too much on the dirty stuff from the Sabres. That's good to see.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Sid was doing great things and finally contributed, ALL BY HIMSELF. He´s still getting almost zero help on his line. We are finding the reasons why he was slumping a bit recently.. Yeah, Gibbons is not bad but he is not good enough to play with Sid, Olympics in Sid´s head etc etc..

The biggest reason why Sid was slumping a bit is that Kunitz is playing absolutely uninspired hockey as of now. Gibbons is not a biggest problem, he´s not ideal of course, but I think that with Kunitz´s normal play that line would be just OK.. It´s really hard to dominate when one of your wingers is Gibbons(no offense to him, he´s not awful and is doing what he can) and the another one is just lost out there (Kunitz). Kunitz has been like this for a good 2 weeks.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
For a guy that was rock solid in 2008 (I mean those numbers, damn) and then in 2009 he was great when the team needed him to be (talks about how he wouldn't have 2 bad games in a row proved to be true)..then knowing how turdtastic the team has played in the past 5yrs, including him, not just him, the entire team, I am going to give him hope like I am going to give Sid hope for not imploding and doing stupid stuff and going pointless when the team needs him, etc. Funny how some get excuses, others don't.

But let's be honest, it's never been the regular season numbers that have been concerning for MAF. His SV% and GAA have always been at least solid since he broke in as a full timer. He will be rightly judged by his playoff performance. Out of all of the things that keep happening over and over again, MAF crapping out in the playoffs has easily been the biggest and worst of them.

That being said, he really has looked good this year, this is the first time in the past two or three seasons where I feel like he's stolen more than the odd game for us. I hope he shuts us up because the talent is absolutely there, but until he does this is how we'll view him, and deservedly so.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Imagine Miller with this team? he's been lit up the last 2 games but he would be awesome here and wont choke in the playoffs. Now Miller would be a candidate here....Nothing against Fleury, jury is not out untill the playoffs no matter what he does in the regular season.

You seem pretty certain about that, considering the guy has played all of 13 playoff games since 2007. I'm not saying he won't, but he doesn't exactly have a playoff track record either.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not to take away from last night's performance, but it makes me laugh when people throw out Fleury stats and act like there has been no issue in the postseason. :laugh:

You can have all the stats you want in the world. We ALL want #29 to play consistent throughout the entire year. He, unfortunately, created this for himself. Let's see what happens.

But thanks for the stats. They definitely tell the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad