Post-Game Talk: Pens - 5, Isles - 0

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
This was a fun one to be at. Crowd was dead and never had any reason to get into it. Most noise they made was booing the home team. Loved it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
AkxUpRe.gif

And now the board's if usage has peaked for the season. :laugh:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
This was a fun one to be at. Crowd was dead and never had any reason to get into it. Most noise they made was booing the home team. Loved it.

Sounded like there were a lot of Pens fans there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like the fact this team is winning without the big guns (well, Sid) going all God-mode out there. Regular contributions from lines 3-4 is something this team hasn't had in a long time.

When's the last time you actually felt comfortable about a game in which Sid (or Geno) don't score 2 or more points?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Am I crazy for wanting to see what Kuhnhackl could bring to Crosby's line? Maybe when Rust gets back to keep some continuity to that 3rd line in the meantime.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Am I crazy for wanting to see what Kuhnhackl could bring to Crosby's line? Maybe when Rust gets back to keep some continuity to that 3rd line in the meantime.

With LW depth being the poorest, any of the young guys should get a shot but....KUNITZ so no experimentation for you!

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Only minus was Lovejoy playing over Pouliot. I think Pouliot would work with Dumoulin. Its not a situation like having a DP-Schultz pairing. Lovejoy brings nothing

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is the type of hockey we were all expecting when the season started. They aren't even healthy yet...that's the scary part.

Working the hurt players back in is going to take some maneuvering from Sully

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I have sort of left a few comments here about this subject - not so much right now, but in the future, and no one has engaged me. With Kuhnhackl's shot and his obvious hockey intelligence in knowing where to go to score goals, I think he could work well with Sid. I think Rust would work too. He has that speed and north-south game Sid likes. Rust really is a Kunitz type guy when he first broke into the league. I could totally see either player coming in here next year and just exploding on the NHL scene with a big year.

I think Kuhnhackl has a better chance of that because his shot is something serious, and he looks like a "hockey player" to me. He can read the game, and pucks seem to bounce right to him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

you wouldn't be crazy for wanting to see what any Not_Kunitz would do in that spot. You would be crazy to think it was a real possibility though :laugh:

johockey

Mar 25, 2014
I'll be honest, I didn't think Kuhnhackl was going to stay in the NHL for very long, and I was pretty upset when they were playing him over Plotnikov (I know many on here thought the same). In hindsight, I'm so glad Sully kept him in the lineup and let him develop. I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 guy, but he can be an effective 3rd or 4th liner for years to come if he continues on this tremendous development path.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Of all the young guys we have playing right now, Kuhnhackl would be the one I'd bet on being a top 6'er. He has a real good hockey IQ. Pucks follow him around, and he has an awesome release on his shot. He also has a good size:speed ratio

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll be honest, I didn't think Kuhnhackl was going to stay in the NHL for very long, and I was pretty upset when they were playing him over Plotnikov (I know many on here thought the same). In hindsight, I'm so glad Sully kept him in the lineup and let him develop. I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 guy, but he can be an effective 3rd or 4th liner for years to come if he continues on this tremendous development path.

I don't think you are the only one to have that opinion, either. I definitely saw the same thing. Kuhn struggled at first, but grew into his role and what to do at the NHL level. Now, he's chip passing at the NHL level, forechecking at the NHL level, backtracking at the NHL level, undertands how to get the puck deep, etc.

Really good job by Sully to know what type of player Kuhn was based on WBS and practice and let him feel out his NHL woes at first. He definitely far surpassed anything I imagined after first glance.

I guess that's why practice/knowing his game at the AHL level is important.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Kuhnhackl's development path has been so strange to me, in a good way. How many players go through the defensive bottom sixer beatdown and come out of it to subsequently rediscover their scoring touch? And yet that seems to be exactly what's happening with him.

These aren't lucky, flukey goals he's scoring either. He looks like a goalscorer out there. He works his tail off for most of the goals but they all come from his smarts and talent. I definitely didn't think we'd see this from him but I see no reason why it shouldn't continue. Kuhnhackl is playing the right way, not the lucky way.

He kind of reminds me of Comeau's resurgence last season, except Comeau found his way on Malkin's wing. You can attribute much of this to Cullen, but a lot of it is just confidence and determination too. It's really fun.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think you are right, hooverdam, about his scoring touch. They replayed Cullen's goal last night and I focused on Kuhn. He was ready to shoot the entire time while still owning his position on the ice to open up Cullen. That's NHL level stuff. Usually the game is too fast for guys to run interference while being ready to shoot. Kuhn was loaded for a one-timer just incase Cullen passed the puck over. That... is how a goalscorer goes about his game.

Nonetheless, the one constant in his development is Cullen. IMO, Cullen/Rust/Kuhn should be together until something doesn't click with those 3.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you are right, hooverdam, about his scoring touch. They replayed Cullen's goal last night and I focused on Kuhn. He was ready to shoot the entire time while still owning his position on the ice to open up Cullen. That's NHL level stuff. Usually the game is too fast for guys to run interference while being ready to shoot. Kuhn was loaded for a one-timer just incase Cullen passed the puck over. That... is how a goalscorer goes about his game.

Nonetheless, the one constant in his development is Cullen. IMO, Cullen/Rust/Kuhn should be together until something doesn't click with those 3.

I don't think you can praise the Pens for all of these things working out well.

I know this is going to be 'omg trust your eyes and forget everything else" sort of thing, but Kuhnhack hasn't been amazing at any pro level. Maybe they looked at him in the A and divined *something* (i mean, clearly they did), but I really struggle to believe they thought he'd be this good. Otherwise, he'd have been up sooner.

I think Sullivan had some attachment to young players and they got a bit lucky.

That's not a bad thing at all. In fact, it's what they should have been doing every year for the past 7, but I just don't think this was part of a master plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad