Post-Game Talk: Pens - 5, Isles - 0

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
We should nickname all Pens players "its ok .. you'll be injured soon."

Sure, its not very catchy and could get a bit confusing .. but pretty appropriate.
Debbie_Downer.PNG

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Is Letang actually day-to-day or is it a Yahoo error?

The team didn't say anything to my knowledge. Yahoo is just making an educated guess based on it looking like he was injured twice and not playing the last 3 minutes.

My bet is he plays tomorrow. I'd rest him though.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The team didn't say anything to my knowledge. Yahoo is just making an educated guess based on it looking like he was injured twice and not playing the last 3 minutes.

My bet is he plays tomorrow. I'd rest him though.

Not really much reason to play him, he could use a rest, and slipping to WC1 would be fine.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Great game. I enjoyed Sheary trying to pile on at 5-0 by beating two poor guys in a row on his way to the net for a gorgeous chance. There was nothing at all going on there and Sheary willed a grade A look.

I'll fill in for BB and say Sullivan's coaching wouldn't magically imbue Megna with hockey sense.

I think Blake Comeau would've fit this style almost perfectly.

ty

I think if you rewind the clock a couple years, Kennedy and Dupuis were both tailor made for this type of hockey.

Hell, what about Farnham? Idea of lining up opposite Farnham, Sheary and Sundqvist makes me tired just thinking about it.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Great game. I enjoyed Sheary trying to pile on at 5-0 by beating two poor guys in a row on his way to the net for a gorgeous chance. There was nothing at all going on there and Sheary willed a grade A look.

ty

I think if you rewind the clock a couple years, Kennedy and Dupuis were both tailor made for this type of hockey.

Hell, what about Farnham? Idea of lining up opposite Farnham, Sheary and Sundqvist makes me tired just thinking about it.

Farnham is a really good call for this style of tenacious play. I'd love to see him as the first forechecker wreaking havoc on the opposing d-men, or better yet, giving little stick taps to opposing goalies (Lunqvist, especially) and driving them crazy.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Letang

Maybe Sullivan didn't want him murdered by Martin during the final minutes. Was Crosby out there at all during that part?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He's running the powerplay too, I think. Without Malkin, that's kinda nitpicking, though. But yeah... outside of that and what you said, it's tough to complain. The GM has made a few good moves this year to help his roster (Scuderi/Daley, Perron/Hagelin, 3rd/Schultz, letting things largely be on TDL) but I have to give the coach a lot of credit in this turnaround, as well. His connection with WB/S, willingness to trust many of those young players and those players rewarding that confidence has been a huge dynamic in the team's recent fortunes.

Zen said something about it earlier but a thumbs up to Hynes for having a big hand in that, as well.

To be fair, the PP was the only other Sully beef I had AFTER Geno went down. Why he never tried the obvious, meaning Daley and Letang with Phil and Sid was incredibly frustrating.

But to his credit, even though it took way longer than it should have, he finally has the PP alignment we've been begging for, and oh look, they're scoring goals again.

The dude matches lines. His breakout has support in all areas of the ice. Letang looks like he's being coached instead of being told "Do whatever you feel like doing." He's playing most of his young guys. The entire team looks like it's willing to do whatever he asks of them. And man oh man, they're running teams over and just making them look bad.

Right now, as of this moment, my only complaint is the Lovejoy for Pouliot nonsense. I'm not going to get into specifics, but "They just don't like him." The kid is being Despres'd.

Other than that, I have nothing to gripe about in the least. None of us do. My favourite thing of all when you compare what's going on now to the Bylsma paper tiger teams, is when they'd win 5-0 like they did today, or 5-2 like the other night, Sid and Geno would be all over that score sheet. 1g 2A for one guy, 2G 1A for the other, etc., with zero contribution from the bottom six because they were too busy chasing the puck around in their own zone and acting like meat shields.

That's not what's going on here. Sid had what, one assist tonight and one the other night? This is different. I'm honestly in disbelief at what I've witnessed these last 6 weeks.

And again, even if they get knocked out in the first round, they're building something here. The window isn't closing like we thought. It's suddenly wide open again and will be for another 5 years as long as the old man doesn't do something stupid along the way and suddenly starts adding guys that don't fit what their current identity is.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Sheary has made a believer out of me. Kid's work ethic and play along the boards is pretty damn impressive. Looks pretty competent overall with the puck on his stick.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The only downside from today's win is that it's likely we're gonna have Zatkoff in net tomorrow :help:

What's Bales up to?

I'd really, really go with Murray. He didn't get shelled and he doesn't look like he expends a lot of energy anyway. Get him some experience from a hot team with a history and let him get in a groove. Also, no Zatkoff.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
What's Bales up to?

I'd really, really go with Murray. He didn't get shelled and he doesn't look like he expends a lot of energy anyway. Get him some experience from a hot team with a history and let him get in a groove. Also, no Zatkoff.

Yeah totally agree with you there, but I'd put money on them going with Zatkoff, it's the Pens, they still make the occasional dumb decision

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Zatkoff: Alright, it's my time to shine! time to take back the net from Murray who's taken my spot not once but TWICE

Ref: Stop yelling!

Zatkoff: Oops! but anyway, time to take back the net! No pressure...

*first minute Giroux scores from behind his own goalie*

Zatkoff: ****! ok minor setback!

Ref: I said stop yelling!

*Giroux scores from center ice*
*Zatkoff gets pulled 90 seconds into the game*
*Murray goes into the net*

Murray: HAHAHA i win again

Daley: What's with Pittsburgh goalies and yelling?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
:laugh: the sad thing about that is that I can see Zatkoff reassuring himself in the net. " it's okay, Jeff. You've got this. It was only one ba- two bad goals..." I thought I saw him in a weird ass place tonight and it turns out he was because that arena is hilarious.

I think Sundqvist peaked with his first NHL goal. A SH GWG that saw them clinch a playoff spot.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Pitt fans, not sure where this belongs but, is Murray likely to start tomorrow?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Murray didn't get a ton of shots and is very fresh cuz he's only played 2 games in so many weeks.
If i had to guess, he plays tomorrow cuz Sully wants home ice to get his match ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad