Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 2 - Pens Clinch a Playoff Birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I just wanted to get in. Would have been embarrassing to miss.

Whatever happens now happens. I'll be upset in the moment over losses but we've won 2 Cups. Proud of the boys. Hope they go out and play the right way and let the chips fall where they may.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
+ Playoffs!
+ PP
+ Hunwick and Olek, who da thunk it
+ the little midget and his Horny sidekick

- PK, the usual suspect
- injuries...please let them minor or nonexistent !
- transition through the NZ 5on 5...well, the 5x5 play in general
- the Canucks gifting CBJ a point

Reactions: ColePens

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We're giving up too many quality scoring chanes though, let's not lose sight of that.

I get it. The eye test still hurts. I wish the machine was running more well oiled, too.

But, as long as the Pens capitalize on THEIR chances just one more time than their opponent, it is almost immaterial how many they give up. Almost.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
8c9af2b58e79a2072f4b9a029bcf625c.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
but we're scoring more than we're giving up. Let's not lose site of that.
Against bad teams, how about we try this against some good teams and see how we do? How about that one?

There's no glory in beating a hapless Habs team. Well, unless you set the bar very very low.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Why do these wins have to feel so sketchy.
if smells like poop, it must be. i'm neither a naysayer or like some in here, one that ascribes to the whole idea of a proverbial switch existing in players' minds. I did like the play in the third which showed a lot of fight and battling but there so many so many errant stretch passes. Lazy clears where players refused to skate and tried to hit a stretch pass. And this is against Canadiens.

The thing that pisses me off - this chance of winning it three in a row wont come back. they're in a unique situation but i dont see them winning and beating Nashville, Jets or Sharks.

Btw, there a lot here that are comparing the team from last year. one thing that must be said though is that other teams have now dramatically improved and are figuring out in how to play the Penguins. The fact that the coach doesn't put a 4th line that is respectable also plays into it

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Against bad teams, how about we try this against some good teams and see how we do? How about that one?

There's no glory in beating a hapless Habs team. Well, unless you set the bar very very low.
didn't we just beat the Devils a few days ago? I mean seriously, we just clinched a playoff spot. We're 2nd in the division. We can still get to 1st in the division.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What kind of response is that. Just enjoy the ride, it’s almost over and it’s been an all-time great ride.
I'd enjoy it more if we didn't allow three or four breakaways a freakin game. And sadly that's not hyperbole.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
didn't we just beat the Devils a few days ago? I mean seriously, we just clinched a playoff spot. We're 2nd in the division. We can still get to 1st in the division.
And if we're able to play a full 60 mins, kill penalties effectively and play sound, solid, positional fundamental hockey then great. But I'm not see that. Are you? Because that's what it will take to have a modicum of an opportunity.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I remember when, back December/January time we were talking about the need for a better 3C, and a few of us insisted that Sheahan was totally the guy we needed if with Sheary and Hornqvist.

This theory has yet to be disproven. I'm curious as to what Sully will do, as I think it'd be a mad move to split that line up.

In other news, encouraging stuff from Murray, Hunwick and Line 1. Liked Maatta's game too. Kessel and Tanger are the only nitpicks I can make as individuals, but even then both made some big positive plays.

Few of those system errors though, eesh. But on another night, we coulda had 8 pretty easy. People be laughing at Niemi, but I thought he had a decent game.

And if we're able to play a full 60 mins, kill penalties effectively and play sound, solid, positional fundamental hockey then great. But I'm not see that. Are you? Because that's what it will take to have a modicum of an opportunity.

Didn't do that last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad