Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
And people are worried about losing in round 1? Lol to these clowns and Mike Johnston 2.0 at head coach? I don't think so. We'd wipe the floor with the Flyers. We'd win in 5 games

Reactions: tom_servo

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Murray will be fine. Seems like he has a horrible glove hand game like this about 3 or 4 times a season.

Sid looks engaged again. The only thing I’m worried about is our team defense structure. If we can bump Sheary from the top 9 for ZAR, I think we will be in good shape there.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I think the announcers stated it pretty well throughout the game. Our forwards and defenseman are not on the same page.

Whether it’s the D pinching with no help in sight from the forwards or it’s the forwards not dropping back when they are in the position to do so. Something needs to be done. Too many boneheaded plays.

Let up two goals simply on forwards taking their good ole time getting back on D that let up wide open point shots, also.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I am convinced that Sully just needs to say something to Geno before every shift, because you really can tell from the way he comes out at points that someone has said something to him.

I am a little disappointed, as Sid has picked it up, that Geno has slipped a notch, but I'll say the same thing about Geno that I've been saying for the last month about Phil and have said for much of the season about Sid:

I ONLY CARE WHAT THEY DO WHEN THE PLAYOFFS START.

That said, team defensive play is just such an issue right now that even those three going full throttle can't disguise it. Yeah, last year, clean breakout passes were a miracle, but the way the Pens are playing in their own zone and in transition defense, not to mention the horrible mix of personnel and lack of sandpaper . . . I'm trying to see it, that reason for hope, but I just can't . . .
The bolded is all I care about, assuming we make the playoffs(general statement).

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
I'm going to laugh when we find out Sid's summer improvement project was studying how Phil manages to stay healthy and play great in all the games that matter.

Spolier: the secret was playing soff for half the year.

When half the league makes the playoffs you might as well.

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
Missed the game. Stats look like flyers put played us.. Murray saw alot of rubber. Which is good for him to get back into things .. But still letting in 4 is bad. Mind you, I'll be the judgme of which are on him

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And people are worried about losing in round 1? Lol to these clowns and Mike Johnston 2.0 at head coach? I don't think so. We'd wipe the floor with the Flyers. We'd win in 5 games

Agree....that’s why I so want them to overtake CBJ for third in the Metro...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the announcers stated it pretty well throughout the game. Our forwards and defenseman are not on the same page.

Whether it’s the D pinching with no help in sight from the forwards or it’s the forwards not dropping back when they are in the position to do so. Something needs to be done. Too many boneheaded plays.

Let up two goals simply on forwards taking their good ole time getting back on D that let up wide open point shots, also.
U

We really need to play differently when the POs start or it will be ugly...I’m not sure it’s just a matter of effort...we may need to tweak the system...I hope Sully can figure it out...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Missed the game. Stats look like flyers put played us.. Murray saw alot of rubber. Which is good for him to get back into things .. But still letting in 4 is bad. Mind you, I'll be the judgme of which are on him
We're a hot mess defensively and on the PK, it's been like this for a month. This team has so much to correct and so little time.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Agree....that’s why I so want them to overtake CBJ for third in the Metro...

We got them that point...but I feel the same way about CBJ. No player other than Panarin is a threat. Their coach is also a clown. We'd beat them in 6.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think the last three games have seen atrocious forward play which makes d gap and defenseman play issues even more magnified.

It makes me wonder if they’ll flip a switch because this is simply just lazy play from the forwards.

Brassard especially with half ass dump ins.

That being said, Brass has been a beast and exactly what we needed from our 3C versus what Sheahan was providing. Consistent threat every time he touches the puck

Think the D are super cautious of the many odd man breaks that they give the blue up more than they should. If the F's helped out more properly, they may get the confidence to start standing up again to force the puck carrier.

I am convinced that Sully just needs to say something to Geno before every shift, because you really can tell from the way he comes out at points that someone has said something to him.

I am a little disappointed, as Sid has picked it up, that Geno has slipped a notch, but I'll say the same thing about Geno that I've been saying for the last month about Phil and have said for much of the season about Sid:

I ONLY CARE WHAT THEY DO WHEN THE PLAYOFFS START.

That said, team defensive play is just such an issue right now that even those three going full throttle can't disguise it. Yeah, last year, clean breakout passes were a miracle, but the way the Pens are playing in their own zone and in transition defense, not to mention the horrible mix of personnel and lack of sandpaper . . . I'm trying to see it, that reason for hope, but I just can't . . .

Well, if anything, the coaching staff have tons of game tape about what needs sured up before the games really count. Sully/Martin have been great with the X's and O's before. Just gotta hope they can work some magic again to give these guys a shot this year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sheahan and Kessel have been pretty quiet since the deadline. Brassard is capable of playing well without Kessel. They wont do it, but id switch it up at times in the game..

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I feel pretty confident against any of our round 1 opponents. But the defensive/goaltending issues are a concern and I would not be surprised to see them result in an early exit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
OT: How long do teams actually have to ask for a goalie interference review after the game has ended in OT? In regulation, the goal is official once the puck is dropped again. But in OT, there is no more puck drops once the OT winner is scored.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Murray played well. Still giving up some real juicy rebounds that happened to find their way straight to Flyers sticks which resulted in the 3rd and 4th goal. First goal, no goalie in the league stops. That was a perfect corner snipe. 2nd one he should have stopped.

All in all. I think he came back at the perfect time. Although these points are crucial, he has enough time to get back into the swing of things and be ready for the playoffs.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
- D zone coverage. We look completely disorganized.

I’ll put most of that blame on the forwards. They aren’t always engaged. At times they didn’t cover pinches, push back hard enough or just breakout way too early.

When the games matter you’ll see a change. Not that they are dogging it all the time but more they should be.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
OT: How long do teams actually have to ask for a goalie interference review after the game has ended in OT? In regulation, the goal is official once the puck is dropped again. But in OT, there is no more puck drops once the OT winner is scored.

Everything gets reviewed in TOR in OT, i believe.
Not sure about offsides, though.
Don't know if thats automatically reviewed too or the team that gets scored on needs to ask for it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sheahan and Kessel have been pretty quiet since the deadline. Brassard is capable of playing well without Kessel. They wont do it, but id switch it up at times in the game..

Kessel’s play is not because of Sheahan changing lines. No way I’d be giving Brassard less minutes

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad