Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rust Does Something with Sid Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
+++++Sid
Probably his first multiple "+" game this season. IK, crazy. On the puck all game and he was cared. He will be ready for playoffs, 100%.

+++Schultz
Great game since puck drop. Smart pinches, nice outlet passes, and I believe three assists. :)

+Rust
Scoring the OT

=Malkin
Good game, flipped a switch

=Murray
Made some timely saves, but needs some work

:yo:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Alright, play like that except actually cover the point next time and hope Murray isn’t wearing his rubber jersey and pads.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have to add this, because as much as it pains me to defend Letang, he was NOT responsible for the game tying goal. As the shot is coming from the point, there's a Flyers player to each side of the net and one in front. There only is Letang and Dumo in front of the net. Why? Because as the puck is worked high, where there are 2 Flyers players, all three Pens forwards glide high. So, Letang and Dumo are outnumbered down low 3 on 2. Dumo positions to take the guy to Murray's right. Letang either has to position to take the guy above Murray or off to his left. He took the high guy, and the rebound trickled left. I am NOT going to blame Letang there. One of the forwards-- Sid, Rust, and Sheahan-- MUST stay low there. No reason for all three to be gliding high. And, again, this is ME of all people defending Letang.

cc: @ColePens

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm going to laugh when we find out Sid's summer improvement project was studying how Phil manages to stay healthy and play great in all the games that matter.

Spolier: the secret was playing soff for half the year.

Reactions: Badfish87

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I have to add this, because as much as it pains me to defend Letang, he was NOT responsible for the game tying goal. As the shot is coming from the point, there's a Flyers player to each side of the net and one in front. There only is Letang and Dumo in front of the net. Why? Because as the puck is worked high, where there are 2 Flyers players, all three Pens forwards glide high. So, Letang and Dumo are outnumbered down low 3 on 2. Dumo positions to take the guy to Murray's right. Letang either has to position to take the guy above Murray or off to his left. He took the high guy, and the rebound trickled left. I am NOT going to blame Letang there. One of the forwards-- Sid, Rust, and Sheahan-- MUST stay low there. No reason for all three to be gliding high. And, again, this is ME of all people defending Letang.

but it's fun to rip on Letang :(

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm going to laugh when we find out Sid's summer improvement project was studying how Phil manages to stay healthy and play great in all the games that matter.

Spolier: the secret was playing soff for half the year.

You laugh but that genuinely is why Phil plays 82 games a year. When you don't take hits, you don't get hurt.

Reactions: Sideline

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Might seem like a minor thing but when Brassard got the puck he had the poise and smarts to hold up play and tell the guys to get off and make a change. Then he passes it to a spot where he can get off too. Then Sid, Rust and Tang combine for the win.

I love him!
Guentz wanted to push the play and I was like NO!! SMART by Brassard

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
That 3rd was pretty much locked up until Sully had to jumble his lines for "defensive" purposes.
I hate that he has to do that now with Brass or Sheahan on a wing.
Trios that don't play together all game forced to try and nail it down.
Sully doesn't even trust his shot blocking wizard Kuhnackl in those situations.

I so wish they'd just put Kuhn in the press box and be done with it.
Play ZAR. Get him up to speed for the PO's.
When theres 3/2 games left get Jooris up here too and work him into the PK.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think the last three games have seen atrocious forward play which makes d gap and defenseman play issues even more magnified.

It makes me wonder if they’ll flip a switch because this is simply just lazy play from the forwards.

Brassard especially with half ass dump ins.

That being said, Brass has been a beast and exactly what we needed from our 3C versus what Sheahan was providing. Consistent threat every time he touches the puck

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Tying goal was a wrist shot from the blue line, well not technically but that's how it happened. Murray simply failed to trap the puck properly. Doesn't excuse the tire fire defense for most of the game of course. Sid has a gear no other player does, and the skill to back it up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn’t watch it all but,
++ Sid...went God mode in the third
+ the two points
— team defense, same old, same old...what can you say? 45 shots against, Flyers flying through the NZ uncontested, can’t get pucks out of our end, clear the crease
— the PK, same old, same old
— Murray...dude needs an injection of confidence. I feel for him but we need him to be MM, two-times Stanley Cup champ...still waiting on that...

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
+Even with him having a "poor" game, Murray still stopped 41 of 45 shots

He needed to be better in the first period, but I thought he had a strong game. Flyers had a lot of second chance opps.

My biggest concern right now, is he needs to do a better job of rebound control and getting freezes.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sheary was really good.

Letang aside from the last goal wasn't terrible.

Crosby was a god.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So I missed the first half of the game, but what does everyone think of the d pairings? Thought they looked alright overall, maybe Os big presence is a little comforting to Letang? That pairing seemed to play a little more controlled but wondering if thats just the parts I caught.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+++++Sid
Probably his first multiple "+" game this season. IK, crazy. On the puck all game and he was cared. He will be ready for playoffs, 100%.

+++Schultz
Great game since puck drop. Smart pinches, nice outlet passes, and I believe three assists. :)

+Rust
Scoring the OT

=Malkin
Good game, flipped a switch

=Murray
Made some timely saves, but needs some work

:yo:

I am convinced that Sully just needs to say something to Geno before every shift, because you really can tell from the way he comes out at points that someone has said something to him.

I am a little disappointed, as Sid has picked it up, that Geno has slipped a notch, but I'll say the same thing about Geno that I've been saying for the last month about Phil and have said for much of the season about Sid:

I ONLY CARE WHAT THEY DO WHEN THE PLAYOFFS START.

That said, team defensive play is just such an issue right now that even those three going full throttle can't disguise it. Yeah, last year, clean breakout passes were a miracle, but the way the Pens are playing in their own zone and in transition defense, not to mention the horrible mix of personnel and lack of sandpaper . . . I'm trying to see it, that reason for hope, but I just can't . . .

Reactions: Andy99 and Shaffer

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I am convinced that Sully just needs to say something to Geno before every shift, because you really can tell from the way he comes out at points that someone has said something to him.

I am a little disappointed, as Sid has picked it up, that Geno has slipped a notch, but I'll say the same thing about Geno that I've been saying for the last month about Phil and have said for much of the season about Sid:

I ONLY CARE WHAT THEY DO WHEN THE PLAYOFFS START.

That said, team defensive play is just such an issue right now that even those three going full throttle can't disguise it. Yeah, last year, clean breakout passes were a miracle, but the way the Pens are playing in their own zone and in transition defense, not to mention the horrible mix of personnel and lack of sandpaper . . . I'm trying to see it, that reason for hope, but I just can't . . .

Couldn't expect Geno to stay hot all season. And even with him cooling down he still picks up big goals and points.

I'm more concerned about his line defensively. They were a trainwreck today and have been lately. We can't have that line playing like that when the playoffs start. I'm confident they'll get it back together though. They were hot for so long that with the ebbs and flows of a season a down turn was expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad