Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Devils 2 - Kunitz Does the Little Things in the Blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If Schultz and Maatta both continue on their current trajectories, I don't really have any problem trading Olli and keeping Justin. It's not my first choice, but I can't pretend away the kind of hockey JS is playing.

So I'm not crazy to think I'd rather have Schultz than Maatta if I had to pick...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I understand it is a what have you done for me lately world in hockey, but maatta and Schultz aren't comparable right now. Schultz took a little confidence and is turning into the player everyone expected. Nothing but high praise to that young man. Maatta is battling a long string of back luck and is slowly progressing each day. In a perfect world, I'd keep both. If I had to pick right this moment, I'd say Schultz only because the guy is playing out of his mind right now. He's playing like a legit number one. Unreal stuff.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you have to make me decide on what defenseman to lose if we're keeping Schultz, it would be Dumoulin because Maatta has been much better than Dumoulin this year. I don't understand why it's Maatta vs Schultz, Maatta has played very well recently and fine on the year (despite his poor offensive numbers).

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
If you have to make me decide on what defenseman to lose if we're keeping Schultz, it would be Dumoulin because Maatta has been much better than Dumoulin this year. I don't understand why it's Maatta vs Schultz, Maatta has played very well recently and fine on the year (despite his poor offensive numbers).

That's a fair point. Dumoulin hasn't been great this season. They both are very low in point totals but at least Maatta is doing better defensively.

Teams score more than double the amount of times when Dumoulin is on the ice compared to Maatta (at even strength per 60 mins). That was one of Dumoulin's strengths last year.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I think there just has to be some unrealized upside with Maatta, more than Dumoulin. At age 19, Dumoulin scored 3 goals for Boston College, and Maatta scored 9 in the NHL. The dude had a shoulder injury and freaking cancer and came back the next year to play for a Stanley Cup team. I think that regardless of which one they let go and which one they keep, Maatta will end up being the better player.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I think there just has to be some unrealized upside with Maatta, more than Dumoulin. At age 19, Dumoulin scored 3 goals for Boston College, and Maatta scored 9 in the NHL. The dude had a shoulder injury and freaking cancer and came back the next year to play for a Stanley Cup team. I think that regardless of which one they let go and which one they keep, Maatta will end up being the better player.

I'm sure they'll keep Maatta. The question is would they trade Dumo in season. For an exempt D man that can handle top 4 if needed? Or as part of a Fleury trade?

I like Lindell from Dallas but I don't think he's exempt.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I swear to God, Connor Sheary's deke on Crosby's goal might be the most amazing thing I've seen a player deliberately do, and I'm not exaggerating. My jaw literally dropped when I saw him deke out the defender, kick the puck to himself, skate around the guy and burn past him, get the shot off, get his own rebound, and center it to Crosby. Wow.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unless this team has a LD that is solid at his own end and can chip in here and there ready to play now, moving Olli is a no go for me.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bottom line is signing all of em, Olli's is done, and Dumo+Schultz to nice deals is the way to go with the amount of $ coming off the books.
Having them securely on the roster with moveable contracts is the ideal spot to be in.
Doesn't mean you'll move one right away but, you can if need be.
Aside from a stacked roster, a very fluid one is the next best thing with good players singed to good contracts.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I swear to God, Connor Sheary's deke on Crosby's goal might be the most amazing thing I've seen a player deliberately do, and I'm not exaggerating. My jaw literally dropped when I saw him deke out the defender, kick the puck to himself, skate around the guy and burn past him, get the shot off, get his own rebound, and center it to Crosby. Wow.

Not a top 6 forward bro.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
They have about four to maybe six weeks to figure it out, and there's A LOT to be concerned about:

1. Kunitz is a top nine albatross. And, he's going nowhere except wrapped around Malkin's neck.
2. As ugly as WTF is, HBK is worse, which is saying something.
3. Sid-Sheary have been excellent, but no RW really has clicked.

Frankly, the only like that had the type of organic magic you saw last year with the lines was HMK, and Sully would prefer NOT to do that.

Sometimes, things that work one year don't work the next, and it's getting close to the point where nothing consistently working is a real concern.

P.S.: If Guentzel comes up for the playoffs, it won't be to play where he really could make a difference.

I'd say JR has earned more trust than that.
Revisit the standings from last year at this time, and see how different we're off.

I could be wrong of course, but I still think JR sees the challenges, and absent MAF solutions, it should be reasonably doable addresing them. Push comes to shove, it will all be about us being healthy and hot or not.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Shero can do them one last solid or Washington can go after their scraps again.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Shero gave Kunitz 2.5x2 or even 3 years.

Come on now. :laugh:
Is this the boards new fetish, after "Kunitz will play with Crosby when he returns!" and "JR is gonna trade Murray instead of MAF!", to fantasize about stupid Kunitz extension?
GMJR will not sign a forward who is on pace for ~6 goals playing premium minutes until he is 40 years old. Kunitz would have to win the conn smythe this year for that to happen. ;)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We need a rework of the roster and it can be so much better. The problem is, it will never happen.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, it's been a while since Sid had a linemate who could actually create on his own. That was great to see.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
we could use tweaks, but we don't need a big rework.

I would love another top 6 winger. Maybe that is Guentzel. I don't know because I never watch WBS, but he obviously praised by the guys who do.
But I just don't think we can roll three lines again if Kunitz is a part of one. He just fell off an immense cliff again. Last year he was at least able to leech of points off a red hot crosby at the end of the season, but Geno is producing at a high clip right now and Kunitz can't even occasionally make the smart play anymore.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
we could use tweaks, but we don't need a big rework.

Yeah, there's only three player that I would want to remove. Kunitz, Fehr and of course Fleury.

Doing so would helpfully give us a D man making Pouliot or Cole expendable. And also allow us to bring Guentzel in.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I'm not seeing it with some of you on Ruhwedel. He's JAG, similar to Clendening. Don't mind him as a #8 or 9, but I don't think he's a 6 or a 7, nor will he ever be.

Oleksy, on the other hand, I like. I thought we needed to acquire a #7 for depth with Pouliot being horrible at the deadline, but now I'm intrigued. He's going to take too many penalties to play regularly, but I really liked his work on the PK last night and he does bring a physical element we could use, similar to Engelland, who was a fine #6. And the guy can get around the ice well enough.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, there's only three player that I would want to remove. Kunitz, Fehr and of course Fleury.

Doing so would helpfully give us a D man making Pouliot or Cole expendable. And also allow us to bring Guentzel in.
I'm not sure any realistic new D-man would make Cole expendable at this point

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The NHL is all about duos on offense. 2 players with chemistry and a third forward whose willing to do the dirty work.

Right now the Penguins have Crosby-Sheary as their only legit duo. Kessel and Hagelin worked really well last year.. but hasn't been too great this year. Kessel and Malkin was working until it got split up.

I'd like to see them try Rust with Malkin again. Rust is just wasted playing third wheel with Crosby and Sheary. That job could be given to Hornqvist or Kunitz.. something they are better at anyways. Rust has shown potential working with Malkin - if coaches want to keep him separate from Kessel. Ideally if you bring up Guentzel to play with Malkin you could have Rust and Cullen form a lethal fourth line. Those two were wicked good during the stretch last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad