Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Devils 2 - Kunitz Does the Little Things in the Blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has Chad ruhwedel looked? Could u see him as a regular roster guy eventually?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Jim better get on that Schultz extension. At this rate, if we wait until the end of the year, the guy will want PK Subban's deal. Only half joking.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jim better get on that Schultz extension. At this rate, if we wait until the end of the year, the guy will want PK Subban's deal. Only half joking.

If they decide to keep Schultz, that likely means losing one of Maatta or Dumoulin to expansion. I'd say Pouliot, but Vegas probably wants to ice NHL caliber defensemen. :sarcasm:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ya one of those games where all the players you hate played well and all the ones you love also played well.

Also, Dumo took a puck the the head. So yeah, same old losing D men fun.

Someone made a smug Shero gif in JR's first season as GM saying something along the lines of "bet you're glad you have 12 D now, jerks."

I thought of this when BD took a puck to the cranium.

If they decide to keep Schultz, that likely means losing one of Maatta or Dumoulin to expansion. I'd say Pouliot, but Vegas probably wants to ice NHL caliber defensemen. :sarcasm:

If Schultz and Maatta both continue on their current trajectories, I don't really have any problem trading Olli and keeping Justin. It's not my first choice, but I can't pretend away the kind of hockey JS is playing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Overall solid game. Once again - defense came up and performed well enough. NJ is just such a **** team. You don't see more uninspired teams than the Devils right now. It's like they are playing for the offseason.

But no complaints. So happy Sid finally had a big night.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I didn't think that was possible.

You know, when the end came for Recchi, when they told him he just couldn't cut it in the top six anymore, he had 2 goals, 6 assists in 18 games. With LeClair, it was 2 goals, 7 assists in 21 games. All the while it was clear that guys like this were done in top six or top nine roles, apologists talked about the leadership and the little things they did.

That's where we're at with Kunitz. 2 goals in 30 games (38 if you count the playoffs last year as Jiggy said). And, in this December to remember, Kunitz has 4 assists in 11 games . . . 1 EN, 1 on the PP, and 2 when he had Malkin carrying his sorry ***.

But, as I keep saying, I don't blame Kunitz for sucking. I blame Sully for refusing to play his best 9 players in the top nine and for not seeing how Kunitz is doing more to slow Malkin down than the opposition. And, I blame JR for letting that band of morons that surrounds him talk him out of doing what's best for business.

When you consider how Malkin has looked without Kunitz and the comments about Malkin this year, this is NOT an unreasonable statement.

Agree with everything but one minor item . . . Kunitz is more than the next Adams because he plays with Malkin and gets more minutes. Ergo, the damage he does to the team is a lot greater.

Don't forget that Kunitz also has over 50min of PP ice time this year so far. 3 of his assists from having a pulse on the PP. Kunitz is only shooting <4% (so is Hagelin). That can't last forever.....can it?

Nick Bonino has absolutely picked the wrong year to turn to complete ****. He may not get ANY raise on his current contract.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Race is on to 1000

Ovy needs 8
Crosby needs 21

Crosby has played like 150 less games though. Imagine if they played the same amount of games? Crosby would be nearing 1200 or something.

Crosby gets 1000 before Ovechkin.

Ye Ovechkin is better though gotta play games to be good...

When you have a large enough sample size it should be easy to tell who is better.

Honestly though Ovechkin can be better his 2-3 years while Crosby is the rest of his career

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Someone made a smug Shero gif in JR's first season as GM saying something along the lines of "bet you're glad you have 12 D now, jerks."

I thought of this when BD took a puck to the cranium.

If Schultz and Maatta both continue on their current trajectories, I don't really have any problem trading Olli and keeping Justin. It's not my first choice, but I can't pretend away the kind of hockey JS is playing.

Schultz is absolutely killing any small chance of a Trouba for Määttä trade. Schultz is making that log jammed on the right side even worse than in Winnipeg.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Overall solid game. Once again - defense came up and performed well enough. NJ is just such a **** team. You don't see more uninspired teams than the Devils right now. It's like they are playing for the offseason.

But no complaints. So happy Sid finally had a big night.

Call me bitter if you want (not necessarily you), but I can't help but smile when I see Shero's and Bylsma's new teams at the bottom of the standings.

That duo ruined a good almost half decade of Crosby and Malkin's prime years, so screw them. I hope they fail miserably.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Race is on to 1000

Ovy needs 8
Crosby needs 21

Crosby has played like 150 less games though. Imagine if they played the same amount of games? Crosby would be nearing 1200 or something.

Ovechkin has 191 more points than Geno, with 192 more GP. If Malkin plays 2-3 more years, he'll get his first 1000 in fewer games as well.

Crosby > Malkin > Ovie

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't forget that Kunitz also has over 50min of PP ice time this year so far. 3 of his assists from having a pulse on the PP. Kunitz is only shooting <4% (so is Hagelin). That can't last forever.....can it?

Nick Bonino has absolutely picked the wrong year to turn to complete ****. He may not get ANY raise on his current contract.

1. I've given up thinking that it can't get any worse with Kunitz, because the moment I think that, it gets worse.

2. The problem with Bonino is that he typically sucks during the regular season and turns it on in the playoffs. Last year was kind of that trend on steroids. The Pens need that again, but there's been no sign HBK will recapture that magic. Really puts the organization in a bind. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason Sully is trying to force HBK.

Ovechkin has 191 more points than Geno, with 192 more GP. If Malkin plays 2-3 more years, he'll get his first 1000 in fewer games as well.

Crosby > Malkin > Ovie

That's how it's worked out.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Call me bitter if you want (not necessarily you), but I can't help but smile when I see Shero's and Bylsma's new teams at the bottom of the standings.

That duo ruined a good almost half decade of Crosby and Malkin's prime years, so screw them. I hope they fail miserably.

I feel it's fair. Shero, after that Flyers loss, put himself and db together on an island against what was right. They deserve what they get. Shero could have been very good, too, had he not had this insatiable need to stick with family. It's a good trait to stick by people you like, but man.. GM of an NHL team is not a good position for that trait.

Not Pens need to continue to do it w/ MAF and Kunitz.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Problem is, we need them both this season, playing at their best. Which complicates things for the expansion draft, as neither will (should) be moved in-season.

I wonder if Maatta's contract will scare Vegas away if the Pens take a risk and leave him unprotected. The money isn't that high, but Vegas might be a bit worried about the term for a guy with that much injury/illness baggage.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He got absolutely walked by Hall early in the game, but made an outstanding pass to Hags later. I think we can all agree he's definitely a solid #7 or #8 to have as a call up. He's not an every day NHLer, but he shows some NHL potential. I'm not sold that he can't be a #5/#6 in this league. He possesses some great skating ability and really solid vision.

But at 26, I don't see what is going to change to make him an everyday guy unless his confidence spikes through the roof and he's able to perform on a bad team as a #5/#6.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I feel it's fair. Shero, after that Flyers loss, put himself and db together on an island against what was right. They deserve what they get. Shero could have been very good, too, had he not had this insatiable need to stick with family. It's a good trait to stick by people you like, but man.. GM of an NHL team is not a good position for that trait.

Winning a cup reinforces that trait. It's why the Pens won't do it with Kunitz until his contract expires . . . assuming they don't give him a 1 yr, 2M thank you extension because he can fill in the top six in a pinch and other intangibles.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Winning a cup reinforces that trait. It's why the Pens won't do it with Kunitz until his contract expires . . . assuming they don't give him a 1 yr, 2M thank you extension because he can fill in the top six in a pinch and other intangibles.

I'd be more surprised at this point if the Pens *didn't* sign Kunitz to an extension. I'd actually be shocked if they let him walk, especially when Kunitz likely takes a pay cut from his current salary to stay.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be more surprised at this point if the Pens *didn't* sign Kunitz to an extension. I'd actually be shocked if they let him walk, especially when Kunitz likely takes a pay cut from his current salary to stay.

I don't know. They won't move him before the deadline. That much is almost assured. Season ends, I suspect they'll let him explore his options and, if nothing works out, will go back to them and end up agreeing to something in the 1.5M - 2.0M range. They'll have moved Fehr by then, and the idea will be a keeping a leader and a veteran presence on a fourth line-- that's how it will be sold-- but he'll end up in the top nine-- and likely with Geno-- before long.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't know. They won't move him before the deadline. That much is almost assured. Season ends, I suspect they'll let him explore his options and, if nothing works out, will go back to them and end up agreeing to something in the 1.5M - 2.0M range. They'll have moved Fehr by then, and the idea will be a keeping a leader and a veteran presence on a fourth line-- that's how it will be sold-- but he'll end up in the top nine-- and likely with Geno-- before long.

Shero can do them one last solid or Washington can go after their scraps again.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Shero gave Kunitz 2.5x2 or even 3 years.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Ugh. All that Kunitz should get at this point is a "thank you" deal to replace Army on ROOT Sports.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Shero can do them one last solid or Washington can go after their scraps again.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Shero gave Kunitz 2.5x2 or even 3 years.

It certainly would renew my faith in the hockey gods. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad