Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Devils 2 - Kunitz Does the Little Things in the Blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
2 goals in 30 games for Kunitz. Every forward who's played here has a minimum of 4 goals except Guentzel, who has 3, and Sestito.

Kunitz is the best defensive forward in hockey. Name another forward who's done a better job shutting Sid and Geno down in the last 14 months.

5 goals for the team . . . and only 1 from the regular lines. Otherwise, EN, 4 on 4, PP, and end of PK.

Sid and Geno a point back of McDavid.

The record is great, but the problems remain. Top nine is a total mess. When you watched last year, you saw the lines crystallize. Save some decent stuff from SCR against **** competition, the lines really do suck . . . I mean, it's the ******* Devils, and they tilted the ice.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
tumblr_nw0h12Ibis1txyx4lo1_500.png

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Kunitz Shines, Bennett Flounders, in a Performance Based League

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Rough start, but otherwise a really good game seeing how we had three top-four defenseman injured.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Couldn't really do the last NJ Devils game because of Christmas and such, but I did watch and he sucked last game... and this game was worse. Here's what I wrote during his shifts...

Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils
12/27/2016

Period 1

- Shift 1 - KMH - Took some traffic to the net allowing Hornqvist to come through the open area and get a shot on net. Didn't stick on his man all the way back to the net allowing him to score the goal.
- Shift 2 - KMH - Kunitz skated too far up the boards allowing for a Devil to cut a pass off to him in his own zone allowing for more zone time.
- Shift 3 - KMH - Made a bad decision to cut into the middle with the puck right into a Devil d-man and lost the puck.
- Shift 4 - KMH - Couldn't win a 50/50 battle, and the Devils exited the zone.
- Shift 5 - KMH - Slow with a shot allowing a Devil to tie up his stick. Abandoned his d-zone responsibility at the point and lazily skated to it allowing for the Devil to get a shot on goal.
= Shift 6 - KMK - Had a decent pass to Kessel to create a chance for Geno in front of the net. Not enough to give him a + for the shift though.

Period Recap - 5 Minuses, 1 Even. It was a pretty terrible period for Kunitz. He was often found floating in his own zone, and slow to react in the offensive zone. He is doing a good job of shutting Malkin down right now.

Period 2

+ Shift 1 - KMK - Worked hard along the boards in the o-zone, and supported his linemates.
= Shift 2 - KMH - Nothing of note, good or bad.
- Shift 3 - KMH - Made a bad pass to Malkin at the offensive blue line, and then got turned around looking for the puck in his skates. Gave Hornqvist a tough pass in the air that Horny luckily knocked down and got a shot on goal.
- Shift 4 - KMH - Lost a puck battle along the boards that he shouldn't have lost allowing the Devils to clear the puck. Couldn't one time an easy pass from Malkin right in his wheelhouse.
- Shift 5 - PP - Turned the puck over deep along the boards and the Devils cleared. Couldn't take a pass from Sheary in the slot and it exploded off his stick instead of getting a shot on goal.
- Shift 6 - PP - Refused to get in front of the net to screen the goalie on Dumoulin's point shot allowing an easy save.

Period Recap - 1 Plus, 4 Minuses, 1 Even. It was more of the same from Kunitz in the 2nd period. He was lazy, made bad decisions with the puck, and looked generally lost at times. He just doesn't look like he really cares tonight, or if he does his body just can't do it. Malkin's and Hornqvist's best shifts have came when Sullivan had them away from Kunitz (either because of the PP or shifting lines after a PP or PK).

Period 3

- Shift 1 - KMH - Kunitz was floating the whole shift in his own zone.
= Shift 2 - KMK - Lots of looping in the defensive zone, but the puck never really came to his side so I can't say he did anything good or bad that shift.
= Shift 3 - KMH - Lost 50/50 board battles again in the offensive zone. Was in good defensive position a couple of times in his own zone though.

Period/Game Recap - 1 Minus, 2 Evens. Kunitz didn't really play much in the final period because of the penalties called for and against. Even still, his effort was pretty poor. Overall for the game Kunitz was terrible. He looked lost, slow, and had poor decision making. Basically he looked like he's looked for the majority of the season. It's been a steady decline since getting promoted to Malkin's line.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Barely liked what I saw even strength. Hagelin and Bonino get points and HBK will remain a thing despite their points having nothing to do with Kessel in any capacity. Oh well, at least they got the 2 points. Not confident about their chances against an actual good team at the moment.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Barely liked what I saw even strength. Hagelin and Bonino get points and HBK will remain a thing despite their points having nothing to do with Kessel in any capacity. Oh well, at least they got the 2 points. Not confident about their chances against an actual good team at the moment.

Its not even January yet. They'll be fine. A few tweaks and we are good to go. Not to mention Schultz is ten times better than he was last year and Guentzel will be up by then. I like our chances.

Patience

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Couldn't really do the last NJ Devils game because of Christmas and such, but I did watch and he sucked last game... and this game was worse. Here's what I wrote during his shifts...

I'll ask you and everyone else who's been watching this team the last 10 years:

Tell me how what Kunitz is doing on the ice right now is any different than what LeClair and Recchi were doing when Therrien ran them off and forced Shero's hands?

Look, as I said, I don't even blame Kunitz. He sucks. Nothing he can do about that. But, Sully ought to know better. JR ought to know better. Shame on both of them for six weeks.

BTW, there also were a few Malkin passes to open areas where Kunitz should've been if he'd be skating, but you can only cover so much **** before starting to be distracted by the smell, yes? :laugh:

EDIT: Maybe GunnarStaal in his next hockeybuzz entry can explain all the little things Kunitz is doing out there well with Malkin, I mean beyond helping the opposition shut him down. :help:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I love Schultz and dislike Pouliot

I liked Pouliot tonight, but maybe that's just because I had such low expectations for him going into this game. Pouliot tonight looked a lot closer to the Pouliot that was advertised when he was drafted, he was moving around the ice and involved in the play all game.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Nice road win. MAF +++
Pouliot, the WB Dmen and fourth line +
No real minus except he who shall not be named.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad