Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Blue Jackets 2 - Phil is PHAT

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Actually if you go through my posts I made very solid statements that would be hard to counter.

Look at your post, you address not one point but then counter with they are all comical.

I'll stand by my opinions that I have posted here now for several years. People laugh, people gang up and belittle but as the years go by i am continually proven right.

Oh? Proven right how? And I don't just mean in your own mind.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean, if i had it my way with the cap space we have now with Dupuis LTIR'ed, i would pick up a rough and tumble guy(off waivers/FA) i can sit in the press box until we play rivals.

So you'd have 13F's, 7D, 2 Goalies and 1 Goon for my 23 roster spots.

Of course, if the roster wasn't so soft, i wouldn't bother but it's soft, so thats how i'd do things.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
So then just sit back and watch Crosby (who I haven't ever been a huge fan of, though know is he is great) get cheapshotted on every shift until he loses interest in even playing anymore. Put Scott on the team and pay him to get suspended just to support you star players. nuff' said. (doesn't have to be Scott)

See I think this line of thinking above clouds the truth too. Crosby gets cheap shotted every shift? Since when? Dubinsky usually goes ape **** against Sid. Other than that who are the other players/teams that consistently go after Sid with cheap shots every single time we play them?

Regardless, it still bears repeating: These guys aren't afraid. A guy like Dubinsky is not backing down. That's part of why he gets paid. You're living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
It seems to me that everyone is forgetting the comedic relief when John Scott scores a goal.

Or when he doesn't.

Guy recognized his numbers and just stopped backchecking.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be honest, I find the give and take of tough guys fun to watch. One of the big reasons that I did not purchase the package this year was looking at our roster, I just knew we would be bullied and have zero response.

Why would I pay to watch a team I root for continually get sand kicked in their face and a laughed at, all the while doing nothing in response???

I am no longer a fan of the club, after 3+ decades, I truly loathe the Pens and what they have become. I am a critic and I will remain so until wholesale changes are made with the organization.

Why spend so much of your time discussing something you loathe?

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

I could understand that(I find myself quit often discussing politics), but he spends a lot of time discussing something he isn't even watching. Imagine a deaf person telling you that the new Miley Cyrus album is the best album of the last decade.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I could understand that(I find myself quit often discussing politics), but he spends a lot of time discussing something he isn't even watching. Imagine a deaf person telling you that the new Miley Cyrus album is the best album of the last decade.

Right. I mean I get being frustrated and I get not watching for a time. But actively posting on a message board every day discussing a team you refuse to watch and say you loathe is really odd to me.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
That's assuming anyone actually believes these posters when they say they're not watching. I certainly don't. It would be pretty sad/pathetic to devote your time to getting on the internet and discussing something you're not even watching. I hope, for their sake, they're just being dramatic and/or lying.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's assuming anyone actually believes these posters when they say they're not watching. I certainly don't. It would be pretty sad/pathetic to devote your time to getting on the internet and discussing something you're not even watching. I hope, for their sake, they're just being dramatic and/or lying.

Yway I guess they could be lying.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As I've made clear on this board countless times, I don't like Sidney Crosby. I enjoy watching him take abuse. That, and that alone, is the only logical reason I do not want the team to sign an enforcer.

He steal your girlfriend or your coffee?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
We all agree Sid gets abused. Probably more than any other player.

We all should agree that the NHL has done nothing to stop it. and probably won't.

We all agree the pens have done nothing to stop it since it continues.

So how do you stop it.

We should all agree that the pens have to stop it.

And here's how: 1. you must have a coach who has _alls. 2. the next time it happens, a pens player must give wood to the face of a duby/staal type player with the intent to hurt the SOB. 3. If you don't do this, then accept the fact you won't see the best of Sid while he is in a pens uniform.

Remember folks, the NHL will do nothing, the other teams will continue to abuse Sid, and Sid's performance will continue to decline. The question is to do pens have the _alls to stop it or will they just accept it and turn the other cheek and beg for more.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Good question. I guess the reason is I have loved the sport and team for so long that I still pay attention through these boards and the media. But it will pass, and over time I will disappear from these boards. I rarely post in the GDT's any longer since I don't watch the games.

I have commented a lot on this thread because I am passionate with the topic. It is a very valid arguement to make that the Pens have declined in the standings have coincided with their ridding of physical players.

You may disagree but to discount and belittle as some have done in this thread speaks volumes.

And lastly, it is those who mock or parrot others who do so that usually over time are proven to be 100% wrong with their opinions. If you disagree, I will start a thread and go through each insulting posters history. We can choose any big top 5 big topics in the last 5 years. Let's see who really have the comical opinions.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We all agree Sid gets abused. Probably more than any other player.

We all should agree that the NHL has done nothing to stop it. and probably won't.

We all agree the pens have done nothing to stop it since it continues.

So how do you stop it.

We should all agree that the pens have to stop it.

And here's how: 1. you must have a coach who has _alls. 2. the next time it happens, a pens player must give wood to the face of a duby/staal type player with the intent to hurt the SOB. 3. If you don't do this, then accept the fact you won't see the best of Sid while he is in a pens uniform.

Remember folks, the NHL will do nothing, the other teams will continue to abuse Sid, and Sid's performance will continue to decline. The question is to do pens have the _alls to stop it or will they just accept it and turn the other cheek and beg for more.

Hoping Sully doesn't let stuff like that(ie.Duby's x-checks on Sid) slide anymore.

Monday's game against the BJ's was interesting.
Fehr chased Duby down his whole shift before Duby finally dropped the gloves and obliged him.
And Wilson sticking up for Geno.

I just think Sully actually pays attention to stuff like that(compared to MJ) and hopefully instills better habits toward sticking up for your teammates. No mattter how soft the roster is. The Hawks and Red Wings are pretty soft too but atleast they'll stick up for each other.
That needs to happen here too.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The NHL has really put itself in a gigantic bind by not suspending the BJ player who cross-checked Plots 4 times.

So the next time someone cross-checks another player 3 times how can the player be suspended. He has a built in excuse. Now is 5 the cross-over line to be suspended.

The plots incident was a perfect example to take a stance against this crap. A nobody cheap-shoting a nobody. If 5 games were given, maybe some players might think twice. Again the NHL by doing nothing has given its blessing for players to keep on doing this crap. The NHL as usual is a joke and continues to ruin the most beautiful sport on the planet.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
The NHL has really put itself in a gigantic bind by not suspending the BJ player who cross-checked Plots 4 times.

So the next time someone cross-checks another player 3 times how can the player be suspended. He has a built in excuse. Now is 5 the cross-over line to be suspended.

The plots incident was a perfect example to take a stance against this crap. A nobody cheap-shoting a nobody. If 5 games were given, maybe some players might think twice. Again the NHL by doing nothing has given its blessing for players to keep on doing this crap. The NHL as usual is a joke and continues to ruin the most beautiful sport on the planet.

Couldn't agree more.

The refs / league need to

• be more consistent
  • look at the play *not* who was involved
  • look at the play *not* whether / how badly anyone was injured
  • stop making calls on plays that they can't see
  • use more video reviews in cases where it's not clear what happened
  • expand the coaches challenge and stop tying that to timeouts
  • stop calling the playoffs differently from the regular season or late in a game or when a team is already penalized

There's at least one bad / horrible call in any game that I watch these days and it doesn't matter if it's against my team or the other team -- it makes the league look bush league.

How many high sticking calls have we seen so far this season where a player hit himself with his own stick or was hit by a teammate's stick...?

That bogus call against Wilson of the Caps was a joke (and reversed by the league) -- should have been some way for the team to challenge that.

Ditto with that bogus call against Hornqvist late in the game against the Bruins last week.

McDavid should probably have got something for his hit earlier in the season.

It just goes on and on...

There's a good chance I will stop watching hockey at some point in the near future. Mostly because I'm finding the games just aren't entertaining but also partly because of the amateur refereeing and enforcing of the rules.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good question. I guess the reason is I have loved the sport and team for so long that I still pay attention through these boards and the media. But it will pass, and over time I will disappear from these boards. I rarely post in the GDT's any longer since I don't watch the games.

I have commented a lot on this thread because I am passionate with the topic. It is a very valid arguement to make that the Pens have declined in the standings have coincided with their ridding of physical players.

You may disagree but to discount and belittle as some have done in this thread speaks volumes.

And lastly, it is those who mock or parrot others who do so that usually over time are proven to be 100% wrong with their opinions. If you disagree, I will start a thread and go through each insulting posters history. We can choose any big top 5 big topics in the last 5 years. Let's see who really have the comical opinions.

That's a fair response (minus you basically writing off anyone that disagrees with you as belittling you). My issue with your point of view is that you aren't arguing honestly. You create caricatures of those you disagree with and argue those rather than the real questions being asked of you. In my opinion, unless John Scott is literally willing to be banned from the league to protect Crosby, it's not going to do a lick of good.

What the Pens actually need, and I would argue most here agree with you, is a tougher roster and guys that can drop the gloves while being a good hockey player. As Billybudd points out, those guys aren't easy to find and usually need to be drafted or overpaid for. Both Shero and JR deserve criticism for this problem and there aren't easy solutions.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wow so everyone loathes Torts and the way the Jackets play us, so the solution is when they do something we immediately play like them or worse. Fantastic.

What?

This isn't a Torts problem, it's a Dubinsky problem. He's been doing that to Sid for years regardless of who is behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad